Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Animal Man is definitely top-tier.

But I would say Karate Kid, Ultra Boy, Grace Choi, Black Lightning, Static Shock, Lightning Lad etc...

Maybe DC should make Wonder Woman mid-tier, she seems like a flexible character that can work in all kinds of stories.
    Wonder Woman really isn’t mid tier material. She is a demigodess who fights gods, sorceresses and monsters. That seems more like a high tier thing then a mid tier thing. You could play her as mid tier, but that would be a completely different character at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Don't let her fans hear you say that! They're all trying to make her more powerful than Superman, God, Zeus, and Darkseid combined. As it sometimes seems some of her writers try from time to time...

Generally speaking though, I'd say she's very definitely high level.
    I agree that she is, and should be, very high level. I don't like her being divine or prophesied, though. Dislike prophesied for basically everyone. But I think she needs to be one of the Amazons, not someone they would worship. They should all have the same powers, and her win that competition by being the best of them by work and skill and not be bloodlines or divine favor. Of course, I've seen it recommended (only once that I can think of) that Superman should have abilities that other Kryptonians shouldn't. I thought surely if there was anyone above "make them more special" it was him, but nope. For me - nope. He's just like all the other Kryptonians, with the variation being a just as the difference between humans.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Animal Man is definitely top-tier.

But I would say Karate Kid, Ultra Boy, Grace Choi, Black Lightning, Static Shock, Lightning Lad etc...

Maybe DC should make Wonder Woman mid-tier, she seems like a flexible character that can work in all kinds of stories.
    Cassie, Donna and Artemis already fill the mid tier Amazon warrior niche..

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    It seems to me that Cassie and Donna should have exactly the same powers as Diana (and all other Amazons). Well, with the origins I prefer (that they've held at one time). They aren't as important to the world/mythos, but power-level should be same. Don't know Artemis so much. Though I would have only Diana have the lasso.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    It seems to me that Cassie and Donna should have exactly the same powers as Diana (and all other Amazons). Well, with the origins I prefer (that they've held at one time). They aren't as important to the world/mythos, but power-level should be same. Don't know Artemis so much. Though I would have only Diana have the lasso.
    Compared to Diana, Cassie and Donna have less experience, so they'd be in a lower tier than her.

Compared to Diana, Cassie and Donna have less experience, so they'd be in a lower tier than her.
    I disagree. I'm talking power-levels here (as described in original post). Experience really doesn't play in. Besides that, Donna should have been operating nearly 10 years (probably more - age on starting is usually 13-16, with me preferring 16 for her) if not for age resets. At that point, that difference in experience really doesn't matter as both are very established professional adults. They are very much heavy-weights.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 04-01-2020 at 06:54 PM.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I think there are enough.

Deathstroke (Not a hero, true; I actually liked his method of tagging Wally btw), Black Lightning, Atom, Plastic/Elongated Man, Blue Beetle, Vixen, Hawkman & Hawkgirl.Those are all prominent characters with successful runs.

(The Hawks vary but I see them as comparable to Wolverine or Spiderman.)

Power level shouldn't really be an obstacle for stories, novel ideas and challenges can span a range of magnitude.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

To add to that, Mr. Miracle, Metamorpho, Mr. Terrific, Static Shock, Stargirl, Hawk & Dove, Hourman.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    To add to that, Mr. Miracle, Metamorpho, Mr. Terrific, Static Shock, Stargirl, Hawk & Dove, Hourman.
    I don't think Mr Terrific would qualify since he doesn't have powers.

There's also Kate Spencer (if you believe she's a metahuman), Silencer, the Wildcats and the Hawks.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    You have no idea how angry hearing that suggestion would make some people. In her forums its more like "can we establish that WW is stronger that superman" quite often.
    So there has to be someone else.
    No one has ever stated making her stronger than Superman.

Also, I made a thread for this type of thing so maybe you can find those types of characters there.

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...s-Appreciation
    Last edited by Agent Z; 04-01-2020 at 10:05 PM.

Mighty Member

Cassie WAS difficult, because in Pre-Flashpoint Cassie used Zeus and Ares Powers (Until the Lycus Fight!!!!!!!!)..
    So theoretically the Pre-Flashpoint Cassie COULD have been much more powerful than Diana, considering that Cassie was ZEUS DAUGHTER and Diana was build out of Clay.

And also nowadays we have seen that Cassie might get this amulet and she might be able to surpass Diana with it.

I agree that DC are lacking in prominent mid tier heroes though I disagree that Spider-Man and Wolverine are mid tier heroes. Most of their stories involve dealing with street level threats though they can handle bigger problems when faced with them. The most notable mid tier DC heroes that come to mind are Cyborg, Black Lightning, Geo-Force, Vixen, Jaime Reyes, Fire and Ice, Hawk and Dove, Metamorpho, Starfire and Donna Troy.

I feel like for DC, their mid-level heroes are the legacies. Even when a character like Cassie or Donna *should* be as powerful as their mentor, they're rarely written that way.

Definitely agree about Black Lightning, Atom, and the Hawks. But I'm surprised no one has mentioned Aquaman yet. Orin has the world's largest nation at his disposal as well as a very powerful magic artifact but his own powers are very much mid-tier.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I feel like for DC, their mid-level heroes are the legacies. Even when a character like Cassie or Donna *should* be as powerful as their mentor, they're rarely written that way.

Definitely agree about Black Lightning, Atom, and the Hawks. But I'm surprised no one has mentioned Aquaman yet. Orin has the world's largest nation at his disposal as well as a very powerful magic artifact but his own powers are very much mid-tier.
    Modern Aquaman comes across as someone in the lower levels of the top tier than mid level.

Low tier= - C or lower
    Mid tier = - C - B +
    High tier = -A and above

Aquaman probably falls into the - A range.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    I agree that DC are lacking in prominent mid tier heroes though I disagree that Spider-Man and Wolverine are mid tier heroes. Most of their stories involve dealing with street level threats though they can handle bigger problems when faced with them. The most notable mid tier DC heroes that come to mind are Cyborg, Black Lightning, Geo-Force, Vixen, Jaime Reyes, Fire and Ice, Hawk and Dove, Metamorpho, Starfire and Donna Troy.
    Spider-Man and Wolverine are most definitely mid tier. They are significantly more powerful then real street level characters like Daredevil or Green Arrow. Spider-Man is the definitive mid tier hero to me. When placed with street level characters he comes across like a hard to deal with powerhouse. But when he’s pitted against real monsters like the Juggernaut he can play the role of underdog. Wolverine has a similar thing going on. People forget Wolverine was created as an adversary for the hulk. He’s at least powerful enough to go a few rounds with a mildly annoyed Hulk, which places him well out of low tier to me.

Two character that should be mid tier but are routinely given power ups, are Hawkman and Hawkgirl. Their is no reason why Hawkman should be duking it out with Black Adam. He’s a prime example of having the need to make a character more relevant by making them more powerful. Unfortunately writers who do this rarely put in the effort of upgrading said heroes villains so you windup with a bunch of heroes who have outpaced their villains along time ago.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 04-02-2020 at 10:58 AM.

Well, we've established a list of mid tier guys and gals like Black Lightning, Blue Beetle, the Hawks, possibly Donna and/or Cassie, etc. The trick now might be how to improve their image and get them more well-known and used in more stories.