Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    Here's the thing, though: what makes a character "middle-tier"?
    This is how I break it down. Like I said originally a page or two back, it's not a perfect system and there's plenty of exceptions and not everyone fits the definitions cleanly. But it's the best I got. And this is based on a character's "average" capability; everyone manages to hit that home run sometimes, but this is based on batting average.

Low-tier power levels can be physically challenged by powerless, baseline human enemies. If a dude with a crowbar has a semi-reasonable chance to KO you, you're probably low-tier. Low-tier characters are, typically, going to be dealing with "real world" crime; drugs, human trafficking, smuggling, organized crime, etc. They may act locally, or globally, but will rarely find themselves in fantastical locales such as space or other dimensions. The scope of their actions rarely has direct implications for more than a city, or a very specific global network. A low-tier character can have powers, but rarely has more than one, or a very closely related set. Power limits are like "can reliably pick up a armored truck with some effort" and "reliably, consistently blow up a concrete wall" or "short out every circuit in this modestly sized building."

Mid-tier power levels are much more clearly beyond the scope of humanity or real world technology. A baseline human can still be a threat, but it will require the human have something extra in his advantage; numbers, high-tech gear, world class training, etc. A dude with a crowbar can still get a lucky hit in, but when a mid-tier character fights baseline humans, he's noticeably punching below his weight class. The scope of their actions can have direct implications on anything from a city to the globe, but will rarely extend beyond that. Threats will include "real world" problems but will also include fantastical threats like alien invasions or giant monsters, and common locations may include different planets, dimensions, timelines, etc. A mid-tier character either has powers or equipment that eclipses real world technology/knowledge. They can not only pick up the armored truck, but might throw it through a building a block away. They won't just knock down a wall, they'll knock down the whole building. They won't just short out every circuit in the building, but the entire city.

High-tier characters aren't challenged by baseline humans, excepting plot-induced reasoning. A baseline human with the best technology/knowledge on earth is damn unlikely to hurt the high-tier character. The scope of the high-tier character starts at a global level and often has direct implications for the solar system, if not the galaxy, universe, or more. If they deal with "real world" problems it carries global implications, and they operate in fantastical locales as often or more often than they do a standard, grounded setting. They can throw that armored truck into the sun or into the future, destroy a continent, and short out every circuit on the planet.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Ha! Okay, then my official ruling is that Plastic Man counts as mid-tier.

Okay, so we're all gonna quibble huh? Then let me ask; does Wally West still have some approximation of the Waid-Morrison-Millar stuff in his continuity? I'll submit an argument that if we're gonna have god tier levels, Wally should be considered for that. Dude plays in a big sandbox, even now with Barry back; escaping the speed force, Flash War, he's sitting in the Mobius Chair now. Should be worth a least a look.
    After thinking about it, I agree, power wise Plastic Man is Mid Tier.

I think Wally has been nerf...he doesn't seem to be the Speed God anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I'd put the Atom in mid tier rather then low tier also I thing Aquaman and Mera are high tier. they are both superhumanly strong and hydro kinesis is one of the most powerful elemental powers their is.
    While I haven't read the latest on Aquaman and Mera, their usually written as solid Mid-Tier (Marvel's Thing). I use Superman as a gauge, if said heroes powers are physically comparable to Superman or their able to affect something on a global level (sometimes even god level), then I consider them High-Tier level.
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 04-13-2020 at 01:05 PM.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    After thinking about it, I agree, power wise Plastic Man is Mid Tier.
    Yeah, i'd put him at upper mid tier. He's not on the same level as Wonderwoman or even Aquaman, but he's pretty far above street or low level heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    Here's the thing, though: what makes a character "middle-tier"? A lot of the characters I think people might look at as "middle-tier" can sometimes be written as being incredibly powerful or at least capable of things that would make them hard for any "top-tier" character to take on.

Wolverine, for example, has a healing factor so advanced that he is capable of completely regenerating from a single drop of blood, making him basically immortal.

Iceman, who not many people think of when they think "most powerful Marvel characters", once literally froze Hell over and is actually classified as an omega-level mutant (aka the highest classification of mutants in terms of power-ranking).

Human Torch, another character I don't think people think of when they think of Marvel's most powerful characters, is able to reach 1,000,000 degrees Fahrenheit and has claimed that he's able to destroy a small moon with his most powerful attack.

So, while these guys can't literally toe the Earth with their superhuman strength like Superman or Wonder Woman nor could they lift mountains like the Hulk, they are powerful in other ways.
    I agree with this. Though I wouldn't put Wolverine as Mid Tier, power wise he would be top of the LOW Tiers. IMHO.

I think Wally has been nerf...he doesn't seem to be the Speed God anymore.
    I honestly don't know. I've read the first arc of Titans when Wally came back and Flash War, and that's been it since Rebirth.

From what I hear about that Flash Forward mini, it sounds like Wally might still be the speed god but even if he is I don't know if that's worth upgrading him to your god tier.

While I haven't read the latest on Aquaman and Mera, their usually written as solid Mid-Tier (Marvel's Thing). I use Superman as a gauge, if said heroes powers are physically comparable to Superman or their able to affect something on a global level (sometimes even god level), then I consider them High-Tier level.
    Aquaman is definitely mid-tier. Mera, I'm not sure what her upper limits are. I'm sure she could flood a city, but could she flood an entire seaboard? If so that might put her closer to high-tier.

I think I agree about Wolverine being on the higher end of low-tier. He just happens to have a beefy, "idiot proof" powerset for low-tier.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Aquaman is definitely mid-tier. Mera, I'm not sure what her upper limits are. I'm sure she could flood a city, but could she flood an entire seaboard? If so that might put her closer to high-tier.

I think I agree about Wolverine being on the higher end of low-tier. He just happens to have a beefy, "idiot proof" powerset for low-tier.
    I remember in a issues of JLA she was protecting Atlantic and battling the JLA with her hydro-kinesis...so she definitely on the higher end of Med-Tier.

LOL, at the Wolverine comment.

I honestly don't know. I've read the first arc of Titans when Wally came back and Flash War, and that's been it since Rebirth.

From what I hear about that Flash Forward mini, it sounds like Wally might still be the speed god but even if he is I don't know if that's worth upgrading him to your god tier.

That's the thing about water powers. It might be the most powerful of the elemental powers in a straight up fight. over half of the human body is made up of water.

Ultimate Member

That's the thing about water powers. It might be the most powerful of the elemental powers in a straight up fight. over half of the human body is made up of water.
    Direct attacks like that are less likely for heroes, even if technically possible. There might even be a squiffy sort of technical rule that they can't affect stuff that's part of a living creature, such as Terra might be able to make earth and stone and other mineral structures dance like puppets and twist themselves into pretzels, but she can't rip the bones (which are minerals) out of your body and turn them into a fancy hat. (For which Slade Wilson should be thankful...)

That said, Mera's plenty powerful even without super-villain-y stuff like making all the water in your cells bust out and literally explode every cell in your body.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Direct attacks like that are less likely for heroes, even if technically possible. There might even be a squiffy sort of technical rule that they can't affect stuff that's part of a living creature, such as Terra might be able to make earth and stone and other mineral structures dance like puppets and twist themselves into pretzels, but she can't rip the bones (which are minerals) out of your body and turn them into a fancy hat. (For which Slade Wilson should be thankful...)

That said, Mera's plenty powerful even without super-villain-y stuff like making all the water in your cells bust out and literally explode every cell in your body.
    I dont know but I believe she can only use "normal water" or?

And actually AIR is equally powerful: STORM of MARVEL can control the air in a person lungs for example and you control also Tornados etc. and trough this you also control water indirectly...

And also EARTH given that it was rumored that GEO-FORCE is so powerful that he can crack the planet in half by using his powers.

But also MAGNETIC powers like AURAS are really powerful, since she can also affect the natural Iron in the Blood of a Person..

Aquaman is above Mid-tier or? I mean the CURRENT Versions and not the earlier 90ies etc.

Extraordinary Member

What about Captain Comet? I think he's mid tier, but is that just me? And where in the mid tier would he be if I'm right? Thing is, I've seen his powers vary wildly, and I'm not even certain what his powers are or were the last time he appeared, (and when was that BTW?).

I remember in a issues of JLA she was protecting Atlantic and battling the JLA with her hydro-kinesis...so she definitely on the higher end of Med-Tier.

LOL, at the Wolverine comment.
    Protecting...the Atlantic ocean, or protecting Atlantis? And fighting the League at the same time? Are we sure she's just mid-tier?

Yeah, it's one of those powers that can look a lot more powerful than it is. Sort of like Vixen and Metamorpho, who we were talking about earlier.

So if Mera can flood a seaboard (and not as a "maximum effort" thing), I'm thinking she's high-tier. Otherwise she's one of those mid-tier who can punch up easier than most.

Regarding Captain Comet....the last time I remember seeing him was in Supergirl, right at the end of the New52. He's got the standard flying brick powerset (strength, flight, invulnerability) plus telekinesis and telepathy. I have no idea what his power ranking would be. Mid-tier or better, but beyond that I can't really say. I haven't read enough with him, nor has he been written consistently enough in what I have seen, for me to make a call.

~ Black Panther.

Protecting...the Atlantic ocean, or protecting Atlantis? And fighting the League at the same time? Are we sure she's just mid-tier?

Yeah, it's one of those powers that can look a lot more powerful than it is. Sort of like Vixen and Metamorpho, who we were talking about earlier.

So if Mera can flood a seaboard (and not as a "maximum effort" thing), I'm thinking she's high-tier. Otherwise she's one of those mid-tier who can punch up easier than most.

Regarding Captain Comet....the last time I remember seeing him was in Supergirl, right at the end of the New52. He's got the standard flying brick powerset (strength, flight, invulnerability) plus telekinesis and telepathy. I have no idea what his power ranking would be. Mid-tier or better, but beyond that I can't really say. I haven't read enough with him, nor has he been written consistently enough in what I have seen, for me to make a call.
    Most “flying bricks” tend to be high tier. The Shazam family, Superman and all the other Kryptonians, Wonderwoman, even Martian manhunter. It’s kind of a power set that is associated with high tier characters. In all likelihood Captain comet is ment to be high tier, but isn’t showcased enough to prove it.

Most “flying bricks” tend to be high tier. The Shazam family, Superman and all the other Kryptonians, Wonderwoman, even Martian manhunter. It’s kind of a power set that is associated with high tier characters. In all likelihood Captain comet is ment to be high tier, but isn’t showcased enough to prove it.
    Most likely you're right about Comet being meant for high-tier, but I don't know for sure. I've read like, three stories with him and in two of those he was just a supporting character. But Morrison really tried to play up the idea of Comet being high-tier, at least conceptually.

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    What about Captain Comet? I think he's mid tier, but is that just me? And where in the mid tier would he be if I'm right? Thing is, I've seen his powers vary wildly, and I'm not even certain what his powers are or were the last time he appeared, (and when was that BTW?).
    As one of the few mutants in the DC Universe I've always liked Captain Comet. He is really powerful and was last seen in Superman where I think he fought the Man of Steel...which in my mind puts in High Tier ranking.

Because I like sharing knowledge, other mutants in DC - Jade, Lilith Clay, Obsidian, Magenta, Nuklon, Little Mermaid, Tasmanian Devil, Rising Sun, Tuatara, Crimson Fox, Sinbad, Windfall, New Wave, Phobia, Mento, Brainwave Jr, Tempest, Dorothy Spinner and Psi...that's all I remember right now.

The city.

As far as fighting the JLA, they were not trying to hurt her...it was more, Mera calm the hell down we're here to help situation.

Right depending on the story...certain heroes can step out of the Tier spot

Here the funny thing, her powers are kind of limited. She can be really powerful around a large body of water but was damn near useless when Aquaman fought Gorilla Grodd in Gorilla City. She even mentioned that she need water to help.

I'm pretty sure the issue I read with him in Superman had him fighting Superman on even ground. I will have to go back and check to be 100%.

This is how I break it down. Like I said originally a page or two back, it's not a perfect system and there's plenty of exceptions and not everyone fits the definitions cleanly. But it's the best I got. And this is based on a character's "average" capability; everyone manages to hit that home run sometimes, but this is based on batting average.

Low-tier power levels can be physically challenged by powerless, baseline human enemies. If a dude with a crowbar has a semi-reasonable chance to KO you, you're probably low-tier. Low-tier characters are, typically, going to be dealing with "real world" crime; drugs, human trafficking, smuggling, organized crime, etc. They may act locally, or globally, but will rarely find themselves in fantastical locales such as space or other dimensions. The scope of their actions rarely has direct implications for more than a city, or a very specific global network. A low-tier character can have powers, but rarely has more than one, or a very closely related set. Power limits are like "can reliably pick up a armored truck with some effort" and "reliably, consistently blow up a concrete wall" or "short out every circuit in this modestly sized building."

Mid-tier power levels are much more clearly beyond the scope of humanity or real world technology. A baseline human can still be a threat, but it will require the human have something extra in his advantage; numbers, high-tech gear, world class training, etc. A dude with a crowbar can still get a lucky hit in, but when a mid-tier character fights baseline humans, he's noticeably punching below his weight class. The scope of their actions can have direct implications on anything from a city to the globe, but will rarely extend beyond that. Threats will include "real world" problems but will also include fantastical threats like alien invasions or giant monsters, and common locations may include different planets, dimensions, timelines, etc. A mid-tier character either has powers or equipment that eclipses real world technology/knowledge. They can not only pick up the armored truck, but might throw it through a building a block away. They won't just knock down a wall, they'll knock down the whole building. They won't just short out every circuit in the building, but the entire city.

High-tier characters aren't challenged by baseline humans, excepting plot-induced reasoning. A baseline human with the best technology/knowledge on earth is damn unlikely to hurt the high-tier character. The scope of the high-tier character starts at a global level and often has direct implications for the solar system, if not the galaxy, universe, or more. If they deal with "real world" problems it carries global implications, and they operate in fantastical locales as often or more often than they do a standard, grounded setting. They can throw that armored truck into the sun or into the future, destroy a continent, and short out every circuit on the planet.
    A pretty accurate breakdown of comic book power tiers. There are some exceptions to this rule I can think of like Cyborg or Iron Man over at Marvel but otherwise your list is a good baseline.