View Poll Results: Should jon kent's shonen manga aesthetic and storybeats be discarded?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Discarded

5 22.73%
  • Embraced

17 77.27%

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Default Should jon kent's shonen manga aesthetic and storybeats be discarded?

As you know, jorge jimenez has been a champion for the supersons. He is a major anime fan. Naturally,Even with tomasi/gleason's run jon was given this anime protagonist type feel. those who like jon seems to like anime's, mangas.. Etc. There is a fair bit of overlap. With clark kent that isn't the case.As american comics fans, do you think it doesn't work for you? Or do you like the traditional aesthetic? Furthermore, would you want jon to focus more things like action and adventure, rather than romance and drama which is more superman's forte now a days.
    Do you want or like jon to have shonen protagonist-esque evolution?
    Lastly, regarding current run. do you believe Bendis's adult jon has it? If don't think he does,Do you want it back or not?

Bonus round, father-son superman punch
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-01-2020 at 08:41 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Still laughing at goofy ol Pa Fist. That's so Snyder and I'd love to see how he described it in the script.

I don't really think you have to mess with those quirks because I think they're in the eye of the reader. Almost any child hero I can imagine to come along after decades of anime influence in cartoon culture would have to deal with the same comparisons.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I've always gotten some strong Gohan/Deku vibes from real Jon. I'd freakin love if he was a big shounen/tokusatsu nerd this whole time (hell, Bendis might have gotten at least some brownie points from me if he mentioned Sentai instead of Power Rangers).

And yeah, you can totally see it in Jimenez' art. From the overall style to a lot of Jon's facial expressions. There's a lot of influence anime/manga influence and it just...works so well.

Its honestly been a big part of Jon since the beginning, so discarding it out of hand is breaking the character (coughbendiscough).

The aesthetics are fine but I rather he doesn't become another shonen jump protagonist. I liked Shonen jump in my teenage years but I always disliked the Goku archetype that tends to populate shonen manga as the leads. As I got older I just found them tiresome and one-note.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    The aesthetics are fine but I rather he doesn't become another shonen jump protagonist. I liked Shonen jump in my teenage years but I always disliked the Goku archetype that tends to populate shonen manga as the leads. As I got older I just found them tiresome and one-note.
    shonen protagonists maybe optimistic but there evolution is different. Take naruto and luffy. They both follow goku troupes . Look how they are and turned out. Luffy doesn't do much talking, he is basically an anarchist . If you are in his way you are going down. Naruto is master of empathy and talks, he is a centerist. Goku on the other hand is all about fighting and perfecting himself. He doesn't give a damn about anything else. He seeks perfection in himself .There are troupes ofcourse like being stupid. But, that's for comic relief.Many don't even follow that.Naruto especially, has grown past that.

Besides, jon is more like naruto, gohan and some parts of deku.Naruto because of the rejections, being treated like bomb, uncontrollable powers.. Etc and the energetic personality . Gohan because of hidden potential and half breed. Deku cause of the shyness in parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Still laughing at goofy ol Pa Fist. That's so Snyder and I'd love to see how he described it in the script.

I don't really think you have to mess with those quirks because I think they're in the eye of the reader. Almost any child hero I can imagine to come along after decades of anime influence in cartoon culture would have to deal with the same comparisons.
    I think there is more to this though. Jon follows the troupes more than any other characters. Why isn't wallace,crush, djinn.. Etc or anyone else in current gen compared?heck! Why isn't conner compared? Furthermore, even damian wasn't compared that much till jon came into the picture.jon's fandom seems to have more anime fans in general. The overlap is quiet surprising. With other character there isn't this much
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-02-2020 at 01:04 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I think they're in the eye of the reader. Almost any child hero I can imagine to come along after decades of anime influence in cartoon culture would have to deal with the same comparisons.
    Yeah, pretty much.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.