Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Should be noted that Cable was able to hold his own with the Surfer while also trying to keep a city afloat. So he's at least not dying super quick here.
    On top of this, there are a few panels of Cable and Surfer smashing through an air-craft carrier in which Surfer notes that Cable is actively rebuilding it after they pass, particle by particle

Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    On top of this, there are a few panels of Cable and Surfer smashing through an air-craft carrier in which Surfer notes that Cable is actively rebuilding it after they pass, particle by particle
    The Surfer is also doing that in those moments, to note.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    The Surfer is also doing that in those moments, to note.
    Thanks for the clarification. I couldn't find that particular issue in my comic book pile to double-check so I was going off memory and hoping I hadn't missed too much details.

Essentially they're both repairing the damage their fight is causing within the moments that the fight causes said damage.

All these Surfer feats make me wonder just how lopsided those legendary Surfer vs. Thor fights should have been.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    All these Surfer feats make me wonder just how lopsided those legendary Surfer vs. Thor fights should have been.
    It should have been REEEEEEEAAAAAALLLLY lopsided.

But that's comics.

Classic Thor was very powerful and had a million and one esoteric powers he could whip out on demand. But Surfer has all of that, plus more, and Wally West level speed to boot.

Thing is, Gladiator lost to Cannonball. And GAMBIT. Black Panther arm-barred Silver Surfer. Hal Jordan fell over and hit his head in a yellow bathtub and knocked himself right the f£$k out. Silver Surfer got hit in the head from behind with a brick thrown by a human protester and went nighty night. Deathstroke stabbed the Flash. These things happen in comics because comic authors don't care about whether the feats will play well on our demented (but fun!) little corner of the Internet.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Thor wasn't just defeated by Phoenix Emma, he was literally defeated by all the P5 throughout the story, even in split up form
    https://ibb.co/ysYmhQQ
    https://ibb.co/VQGH40C
    https://ibb.co/jRd4L88
    https://ibb.co/fML1sWQ
    https://ibb.co/j4gcm6R
    https://ibb.co/qm1qGm4
    Just want to comment that more than half of these are literally single panels, not even whole pages.

A single shot of Namor hitting Thor doesn't really show that he defeated him.

I'm not disputing the power of the P5 in relation to Thor, they've got more than enough other feats for that, but I just wanted to flag this from a standards-of-evidence perspective.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Just want to comment that more than half of these are literally single panels, not even whole pages.

A single shot of Namor hitting Thor doesn't really show that he defeated him.

I'm not disputing the power of the P5 in relation to Thor, they've got more than enough other feats for that, but I just wanted to flag this from a standards-of-evidence perspective.
    I feel like you should have Tsubame as your avatar if your gonna make comments like this.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    I feel like you should have Tsubame as your avatar if your gonna make comments like this.
    Every night before I go to bed I try and do a hadouken. ^_^

I think Asakusa would also totally work for that comment as it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post

But that's comics.

Classic Thor was very powerful and had a million and one esoteric powers he could whip out on demand. But Surfer has all of that, plus more, and Wally West level speed to boot.

Thing is, Gladiator lost to Cannonball. And GAMBIT. Black Panther arm-barred Silver Surfer. Hal Jordan fell over and hit his head in a yellow bathtub and knocked himself right the f£$k out. Silver Surfer got hit in the head from behind with a brick thrown by a human protester and went nighty night. Deathstroke stabbed the Flash. These things happen in comics because comic authors don't care about whether the feats will play well on our demented (but fun!) little corner of the Internet.
    In the case of Thor and Silver Surfer, their attitudes slightly negate their power differences.

Thor is a warrior and Silver Surfer a pacifist. Thor is going to give it his all while Surfer will hold back.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post

But that's comics.

Duly noted about Surfer vs. Thor, and also Alan2099's point about Thor going all out as a warrior vs. Surfer holding back is a factor in how those fights really could've been lopsided non-fights.

The only one of those examples I excuse is Gladiator vs. Cannonball, and only because Gladiator didn't really lose, he was knocked down just once like any other brick. He got right back up ready to rip Cannonball's head off had the rest of the X-Men (Gladiator's own friends) not shown up to calm everyone down in classic Superhero Misunderstanding 101.

Otherwise, the rest of that battle was just curbstomp after curbstomp on poor Sam. "Meet my invulnerable forcefi-AAAAUUUUOOOWWW"

Gladiator saying that Gambit's agility saved him, though, was just pure WTF. Claremont wrote that scene, while his former colleague Byrne wrote one of the quintessential Gladiator speed feats ever (being so naturally fast that he could keep up with Reed's time dilation device).
    Last edited by Cyke; 04-03-2020 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Duly noted about Surfer vs. Thor, and also Alan2099's point about Thor going all out as a warrior vs. Surfer holding back is a factor in how those fights really could've been lopsided non-fights.

The only one of those examples I excuse is Gladiator vs. Cannonball, and only because Gladiator didn't really lose, he was knocked down just once like any other brick. He got right back up ready to rip Cannonball's head off had the rest of the X-Men (Gladiator's own friends) not shown up to calm everyone down in classic Superhero Misunderstanding 101.

Otherwise, the rest of that battle was just curbstomp after curbstomp on poor Sam. "Meet my invulnerable forcefi-AAAAUUUUOOOWWW"

Gladiator saying that Gambit's agility saved him, though, was just pure WTF. Claremont wrote that scene, while his former colleague Byrne wrote one of the quintessential Gladiator speed feats ever (being so naturally fast that he could keep up with Reed's time dilation device).
    I'd say my favorite Gladiator feat, and one of my favorite speed feats period (though it might not be the *fastest*) is the feat where about half the comic happens within the span of a few seconds at MOST; with Gladiator essentially having a conversation with himself about whether or not to let who he's protecting die AFTER the shot's been fired.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I'd say my favorite Gladiator feat, and one of my favorite speed feats period (though it might not be the *fastest*) is the feat where about half the comic happens within the span of a few seconds at MOST; with Gladiator essentially having a conversation with himself about whether or not to let who he's protecting die AFTER the shot's been fired.
    That sounds good. When was that one?

Must've been during War of Kings, as I wager he is talking about Gladiator protecting Vulcan.

It's War of Kings: Gladiator, yes. It was a digital one shot during the crossover.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 04-03-2020 at 12:11 PM.