View Poll Results: Loner Batman Or Batfamily ?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Loner Batman

19 27.14%
  • Batfamily

51 72.86%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I don't think Batman needs a sidekick really, so loner.

I like the family aspect of the character myself.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

The Bat-Fam really rounds out Bruce's characterization.

I would've liked a "bit of both" polling option. But I voted Batfamily.

I think the family is too large now, but I still like having a good sized clan. I think it's one of the more interesting and entertaining contrasts in Bruce; he acts like a loner while surrounding himself with the biggest family in the DCU.

And I am a big fan of many of the Batclan, there's several I like more than Bruce himself. I wouldn't want to see them disappear.

But I also like Batman on his own. I like that pulp/cowboy vibe; the lone gunman in the mean city. I think I tend to enjoy Batman himself more when he's on his own too, because (in the modern era) the kids often (not always but often) bring out the worst in him and he becomes a manipulative, emotionally abusive d-bag. Which can make for interesting stories, but not for a protagonist I cheer for.

So I'd like a bit of both. I'd like a Batman comic that virtually ignores the Batfamily, but I also want a book where Bruce patrols with Robin and gets a little assistance from Duke or Babs or whoever (hopefully he won't be too great an ******* about it). And of course, solo books for Dick and Kate and whoever else can carry one.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I would've liked a "bit of both" polling option. But I voted Batfamily.

I think the family is too large now, but I still like having a good sized clan. I think it's one of the more interesting and entertaining contrasts in Bruce; he acts like a loner while surrounding himself with the biggest family in the DCU.

And I am a big fan of many of the Batclan, there's several I like more than Bruce himself. I wouldn't want to see them disappear.

But I also like Batman on his own. I like that pulp/cowboy vibe; the lone gunman in the mean city. I think I tend to enjoy Batman himself more when he's on his own too, because (in the modern era) the kids often (not always but often) bring out the worst in him and he becomes a manipulative, emotionally abusive d-bag. Which can make for interesting stories, but not for a protagonist I cheer for.

So I'd like a bit of both. I'd like a Batman comic that virtually ignores the Batfamily, but I also want a book where Bruce patrols with Robin and gets a little assistance from Duke or Babs or whoever (hopefully he won't be too great an ******* about it). And of course, solo books for Dick and Kate and whoever else can carry one.
    that's my opinion to.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Well, I think it's more nuanced than that. I like a small Batfamily (~4) as a supporting cast used in *some* stories, but I largely prefer solo Batman ones. They add some depth to the universe, but the ridiculous glut we have now subtracts more than it adds
    Same here.
    Batman is essentially Zorro or the Shadow and even those two did not act alone. DC's mistake is keeping all of the Robins around, some could retire. My Batfamily is Bruce, Gordon, Alfred, Robin, Batgirl and my favourite tale of all is Year One

Just Batman with maybe Alfred giving some advice is good enough for me.

I like the batfamily, I really do. But I think they’re best in small to moderate doses. Most of my favorite Batman content, they either straight up don’t exist besides Alfred, or like I said, are used in moderate doses. Like DCAU Batman or the Arkham games.
    Kind of a non issue though, given the bat brand’s popularity, there’s usually plenty of room. Though yeah right now the size is starting to outstay it’s welcome.
    Twist my arm, and I’m voting lone Batman. Would have voted a bit of both though.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 04-03-2020 at 07:32 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    This is definitely the source of debate lol.

Having a surrogate family is one thing. Having it extend to like 20 members who all step on each others toes in a narrative sense is another. You get the same exact result for Bruce with 2-3 bat-kids + Alfred as you do with the bigger amounts.
    It does kinda become a kingdom
    Bruce, master of the manor
    Richard, the first son
    Kathy, aunt by marriage on his mother's side
    Bethy, her niece
    Selina, mistress of the manor
    Helena, her daughter
    Barbara, partner's daughter
    Jason, second son, once-dead
    Tim, third son, once his blood parents unfortunately pass
    Stephanie, his girlfriend
    Cassandra, first daughter
    Damian, blood-born
    Jean-Paul, the knight
    Luke, family friend's son
    Duke, current ward
    and that's just the one in costume discounting the other Helena and Batman Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    The natural progression of his character arc. A boy who lost his family slowly regains it.
    Also, the fact that he adopted all these orphan children and took care of them so that they don't suffer the trauma he did as a child is the biggest thing making him more than just a rich dude who uses his infinite wealth to beat down on the impoverished and mentally unstable.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Also, the fact that he adopted all these orphan children and took care of them so that they don't suffer the trauma he did as a child is the biggest thing making him more than just a rich dude who uses his infinite wealth to beat down on the impoverished and mentally unstable.
    If writers approached his character with more nuance on a regular basis, he wouldn't need all the orphan children to remind us of this.

I wouldn't say most of the garish costumed supervillains he spends most of his time fighting in Gotham are realistically mentally ill (especially the Joker) nor hurting for money with all their death traps and gimmicks (especially the Joker).

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Batfamily. I love all of them. Tim, Steph, Dick, Cass, Babs, Kate. The only one I don't like is Duke. I just can't get into him.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Batfamily, Duke Thomas is the only reason I actually picked up and started to really read american comics, and Jason Todd is the reason I kept reading. plus, the "loner Batman" is a myth.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 04-13-2020 at 03:16 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Incredible Member

Definitely Batfamily, whether it is small or large, it's better to develop Bruce from this man who dealt with trauma. There is not just the fact, whether or not the writers handle Batman being a loner, but creating the idea that a man who lost his family through tragedy found a way to create a new one, not to mention people who are inspired by Bruce to act and become heroes in their own right. Even if it's not the Batfamily, it's the Justice League, outsiders, or the latest team Batman either creates or teams up with.

Plus like some people has already says, it does reel in the idea of the Omnipresent Batgod, by having him interact with people who aren't similar to him, but can bounce off of him.

I feel Bruce is a little too dark to really be interesting without lighter characters to play off of, so I'll always be for the Batfamily with regards to him.
    Last edited by Shauds02; 04-12-2020 at 01:37 PM. Reason: typos