View Poll Results: Loner Batman Or Batfamily ?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Loner Batman

19 27.14%
  • Batfamily

51 72.86%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Which One do you prefere ?

Loner Batman or Batfamily ?

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Absolutely Bat-family: the stories where Batman acts alone can work if he is facing a low level menace (like the ones of the nineties animated series or the sixties TV show), but if the level of the menace increases, then he need the help of the family, because otherwise he seems almost an omnipotent being and this isn't good: in my opinion Batman is great because he is an human.

There are always ways to lone Batman stories in a universe with a Batfamily. I'm Team Batfamily though.

Well, I think it's more nuanced than that. I like a small Batfamily (~4) as a supporting cast used in *some* stories, but I largely prefer solo Batman ones. They add some depth to the universe, but the ridiculous glut we have now subtracts more than it adds
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Well, I think it's more nuanced than that. I like a small Batfamily (~4) as a supporting cast used in *some* stories, but I largely prefer solo Batman ones. They add some depth to the universe, but the ridiculous glut we have now subtracts more than it adds
    Same.

I would ideally like just Bruce, Alfred, Dick and Barbara, and maybe a second Robin (Damian, specifically Morrison's version). Kate Kane would be off doing her own thing. That's all.

I'd actually prefer nightwing to be spinoff. Dick would be better off if he'd just visit the family not live with them.

The Batfamily usually tend to be better characters than Batman, himself. Hell, they're part of the reason I first fell in love with DC comics. I'll always take them over a lone Batman. However, their existence doesn't mean Batman can't ever work alone.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    I think the author of the topic should explain better what he meant with his question, because it seems to me we are interpreting in very different (if not opposite) ways.
    What i meant was, Do you prefer Batman as a lone vigilante in a story or surrounded with the batfamily ?

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Thank you, so my interpretation was correct.
    I think I must add a consideration to my previous answer: the use of the supporting character in the Batman adventures has another advantage beside the one to downsize the "Batman's omnipotence": it allows to explore better the Bruce personality by the interaction with characters that have opposite and complementary personality, so I definitively support the use of different supporting characters in the various stories; but not in all the stories.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The natural progression of his character arc. A boy who lost his family slowly regains it.

Now if we're talking about how many people he regained that's another matter XD

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    The natural progression of his character arc. A boy who lost his family slowly regains it.

Now if we're talking about how many people he regained that's another matter XD
    This is definitely the source of debate lol.

Having a surrogate family is one thing. Having it extend to like 20 members who all step on each others toes in a narrative sense is another. You get the same exact result for Bruce with 2-3 bat-kids + Alfred as you do with the bigger amounts.

Arrow

I'm in the minority here but I prefer loner Batman. Many of my favorite Batman stories feature either Batman or a Batman & Robin duo rather than multiple heroes.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Depends on the story, there's some amazing Batman solo stuff and some amazing Batfamily stuff. Really depends on the writer, which characters in the Batfamily are used, and so on. So this is in no way a reflection of my opinion on the Batfamily - but gun to my head have to pick one or the other? Batman alone wins. Partially because more of the classic evergreen titles are of Batman doing the solo loner thing, but also because of how some writers either write the Batfamily or how they write Batman with the family around. There's just a higher likelihood of it going wrong when writers bring in the rest of the family.

So both are great, both can be done brilliantly, but loner Batman has better quality consistently than he does with the rest of the family. Personal opinion of course.

For me Batman strongest points always have been his rogue galary, maybe the best in comics, and the batfamily.

Batman by himself can be interesting when written as a detective but the character bores me quickly. Expecially when written as extra grumpy.