View Poll Results: which Batfamily member you don't like ?

Voters
171. You may not vote on this poll
  • Batman (Bruce Wayne)

20 11.70%
  • Nightwing (Dick Grayson)

10 5.85%
  • Drake (Tim Drake)

37 21.64%
  • Robin (Damian Wayne)

50 29.24%
  • Batwoman (Kathy Kane)

33 19.30%
  • Huntress (Helena Bertinelli)

17 9.94%
  • Orphan (Cassandra Cain)

22 12.87%
  • Batiglrl (Barbara Gordon)

15 8.77%
  • Signal (Duke Thomas)

73 42.69%
  • Red Hood (Jason Todd)

41 23.98%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes View Post
    I think it was only a waste of time because of other Bat-writers basically ignoring Harper’s existence after BR Eternal.
    Most of the creators on that series were the creators on the Bat books after. Harper basically rides off into the sunset at the end, and Cass was just brought back to be brought back. They baited people with Robin's anniversary then wasted that entire series on two characters that were ultimately going nowhere by their own hand. They themselves were the ones that went on to ignore Harper. The thought process from the bat office with that series is honestly baffling. They had a platform that could have highlighted or previewed their line going forward, and could have actually celebrate characters that were going to matter, but instead focused on characters they weren't going to do anything with.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 04-16-2020 at 04:05 PM.

NOTE: Thread originally started in April 2020.
    --------------------------------------------------

With 112 voters, currently we're at:
    * Signal (Duke Thomas) = 51 votes
    * Robin (Damian Wayne) = 38 votes
    * Drake (Tim Drake) = 30 votes
    * Red Hood (Jason Todd) = 30 votes
    * Batwoman (Kathy Kane) = 20 votes
    * Orphan (Cassandra Cain) = 15 votes
    * Batman (Bruce Wayne) = 14 votes
    * Huntress (Helena Bertinelli) = 9 votes
    * Batiglrl (Barbara Gordon) = 9 votes
    * Nightwing (Dick Grayson) = 6 votes

I voted for Damian Wayne. He is the only one I would want to wipe from existence.

I like everyone else. I might have problems with characterization/story telling choices but I think every character has a place within the mythos. Except for Damian.

Extraordinary Member

I’m 100% certain the four boys being the leaders probably has more to do with a perception that they’re competing against each other than anything else.

It’s just hard to find a time where someone was writing any three of them well at the same time, let alone all four.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I’m 100% certain the four boys being the leaders probably has more to do with a perception that they’re competing against each other than anything else.

It’s just hard to find a time where someone was writing any three of them well at the same time, let alone all four.
    And yet . . . original Batman-sidekick Dick Grayson has fewer votes than anybody else on the poll.

He can almost do no wrong.

Heck, in another thread titled "Preference for Hawkman's love interest?", Dick is second only to Shayera Thal (Hawkwoman); he places ahead of Kendra Saunders (Hawkgirl)!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    And yet . . . original Batman-sidekick Dick Grayson has fewer votes than anybody else on the poll.

He can almost do no wrong.

Heck, in another thread titled "Preference for Hawkman's love interest?", Dick is second only to Shayera Thal (Hawkwoman); he places ahead of Kendra Saunders (Hawkgirl)!
    That’s because thus far no one has seriously proposed a status quo for the Robins that doesn’t involve Dick in some way shape or form besides maybe the Harley Quinn cartoon. He’s the one constant feature in whatever movies, shows, or games have Robin in them. Other Robins lose series, aren’t present in cartoon continuities, or get sent to limbo. Dick? Always present, if for no other reason than he’s got the Titans as a fallback and serves an excellent contrast to whatever other Robin you want to restrict the family to as his successor.

Plus... everyone loves Dick.

(...I’ll see myself out.)
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Didn't vote for anyone, don't have hate for any of them. All have a place when written well

i don't care for polls like this and don't hate or dislike any bats [find Tim boring at most] some of their fans on the other hand....... Robin [and Batgirls] fans are some of the most toxic entitled fans I've ever come across.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    NOTE: Thread originally started in April 2020.
    --------------------------------------------------

With 112 voters, currently we're at:
    * Signal (Duke Thomas) = 51 votes
    * Robin (Damian Wayne) = 38 votes
    * Drake (Tim Drake) = 30 votes
    * Red Hood (Jason Todd) = 30 votes
    * Batwoman (Kathy Kane) = 20 votes
    * Orphan (Cassandra Cain) = 15 votes
    * Batman (Bruce Wayne) = 14 votes
    * Huntress (Helena Bertinelli) = 9 votes
    * Batiglrl (Barbara Gordon) = 9 votes
    * Nightwing (Dick Grayson) = 6 votes
    Damian and Duke so many votes. Is that fans here think Robins should be white or hate change/new things.

Heck even Tim and Jason are disliked so just Robins in general aren't well liked aside from Dick Grayson.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Damian and Duke so many votes. Is that fans here think Robins should be white or hate change/new things.

Heck even Tim and Jason are disliked so just Robins in general aren't well liked aside from Dick Grayson.
    My vote for Duke, Tim and Kate were based on lack of interest in them than any actual dislike I have for the characters themselves.

Incredible Member

I voted of Duke; mainly because outside of his backstory (saved by Batman during Zero Year, parents messed up by the Joker) and the Mr Bloom arc, I haven't got much praise for this character.

Extraordinary Member

Looking at this thread’s opposite, it seems most of the “official” Robins are also still popular in offset to their “hatedoms”; that thread is asking for the poster’s “favorite” and doesn’t allow multiple suggestions, and so while Dick is still the clear winner, Jason, Tim, and Damian are all still popular compared to the others.

As to the race thing...

...I don’t know how much Damian should be calculated in the argument, just because he’s been presented in a somewhat white way in cartoons when he’s shown up and because he is a deliberately acerbic character, but with Duke, I can’t argue there’s likely some racial animus there, though I think the context around his rise and Scott Snyder’s less skillful hand with creating new Batfamily members plays a big part as well.

Duke, like Harper Rowe before him, had the misfortune to emerge at a time when the Batfamily character they’re most similar to was in limbo or being handled less skillfully. Duke and Tim are both sharp, mature young men who use their brains more than their brawn and have a more “good student” personality while fitting into the more mellow temperament of the boys, just like how Harper and Steph are the daughters of criminals who were paired with Tim initially to get them over.

And just like how you could easily argue Harper’s Batman Eternal storylines felt like they split off much of Steph’s characterization when she made her return, Duke started getting his push right as Tim was locked away by Oz.

And thus, it’s probably not a big coincidence that Duke is leading in a negative poll that doesn’t even have Harper listed on it because she dropped away from comics.

But yes, Duke is likely dealing with prejudice; I can’t argue against that when I use it to argue Star Wars screwed over Finn the same way.

Boyega was definitely screwed over because of his race, but that seemed to be more of a corporate decision thing than fan reaction. Maybe this simply because I'm looking at it retrospectively, but I remember Finn being pretty well received and more people upset about him not having a bigger role.

If anything the reaction to Duke (but even more accurately Harper) reminds me of the reactions towards Rey.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Boyega was definitely screwed over because of his race, but that seemed to be more of a corporate decision thing than fan reaction. Maybe this simply because I'm looking at it retrospectively, but I remember Finn being pretty well received and more people upset about him not having a bigger role.

If anything the reaction to Duke (but even more accurately Harper) reminds me of the reactions towards Rey.
    To be brief with my Star Wars stuff (I do it way to often) - Boyega was clearly screwed over more by Rian Johnson and LFL feeling Adam Driver’s place as their preferred male lead was threatened, though I’d also say the Rey situation is different from the Harper situation in that I think she was just as popular and well received as Finn was in TFA, then *also* got screwed over for Kylo Ren like Finn was. Both Rey and Finn left TFA popular and left TLJ unpopular - Finn in a deliberate move by Johnson and LFL, and Rey in an unintentional fashion because they didn’t realize pimping her out for Kylo would kill her character worse than simply being too powerful (as she lost a spine, a personality, a better screen partner and a good antagonistic conflict when they did that.)

Harper, like Duke, gets hurt a bit by the fact that they’re fighting in the supporting cast for attention and recognition. While LFL deliberately demoted Finn and unintentionally fatally sabotaged Rey as a main character, Harper and Duke were in an arena with more alternatives and competitors - and they weren’t coming at a time like the O’Neill editorial era or the Pre-Flashpoint Bat-office, with a stable of writers skilled at making the stand on their own.

While Rey was dealing with LFL simply screwing up her appeal as a lead, Harper had to try and prove she was strong enough to deserve a spotlight alongside the Robins and two/three Batgirls. In that scenario, getting the character “sold” is significantly harder because they’re not supposed to be the central appeal and are struggling with other much more stable shed characters with large fanbases - Harper never even got a solo, did she?

Duke, I’d say, was probably doing better with the We Are Robin book because he was the main star there, and when he *did* finally get a solo, it helped him out significantly. But he had to deal with Snyder and King trying to sell him as a supporting cast player in the interim, where neither of those guys were very good at selling new sidekicks very well (see also: Gotham Girl.)

And I think when you make it that “cutthroat”... there’s a greater chance that racial animus not usually present may emerge. I don’t think it’s Duke’s “main problem” so to speak, but it likely does tinge the struggle a bit.

i don't care for polls like this and don't hate or dislike any bats [find Tim boring at most] some of their fans on the other hand....... Robin [and Batgirls] fans are some of the most toxic entitled fans I've ever come across.
    Your definitely right about a lot of the fans, it can get not just heated but downright vile in discussions, lol. Though I'd say from this fandom in particular it is pretty mild compared to what I have seen with other groups. Trust me, there is much worse.