View Poll Results: which Batfamily member you don't like ?

Voters
171. You may not vote on this poll
  • Batman (Bruce Wayne)

20 11.70%
  • Nightwing (Dick Grayson)

10 5.85%
  • Drake (Tim Drake)

37 21.64%
  • Robin (Damian Wayne)

50 29.24%
  • Batwoman (Kathy Kane)

33 19.30%
  • Huntress (Helena Bertinelli)

17 9.94%
  • Orphan (Cassandra Cain)

22 12.87%
  • Batiglrl (Barbara Gordon)

15 8.77%
  • Signal (Duke Thomas)

73 42.69%
  • Red Hood (Jason Todd)

41 23.98%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    Because if they don't have there own roles then why are they there. What purpose do they serve the narrative?

It'll be like being on a sports team with no role, why are there. And if you had the same role as your teammates again why are you there.

If they all have the same roles then why have so many of them and not just one.
    They're not a sports team though.

It's more like asking why people in a police department have similar skills, then asking about the sports team.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Because if they don't have there own roles then why are they there. What purpose do they serve the narrative?

It'll be like being on a sports team with no role, why are there. And if you had the same role as your teammates again why are you there.

If they all have the same roles then why have so many of them and not just one.
    I think the real question isn't "roles" - it's "stories." You can tell good stories with any combination of the Batfamily. You just need good writers who care about the characters to do so. And right now, I am not getting the feeling that we do.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

They're different characters. Even if they're all doing the exact same job, they're not going to go about it the same way or react to things the same way.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

I think WonderNight has a really good point: if various character have similar role, they would fight for the same space in the same title, instead to have their own spaces; in fact all the solo franchise (like Batman is) usually have very few supporting characters, but with very different roles.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Having a different role is for initial marketing. If you don't know the character, this is what they do. Interested? Pick up the book. Not interested? Pick up a different book.

After that, it comes down to whether you enjoy the character or not.

Now because they're a family, they have to be together every once in a while, otherwise, it doesn't make sense. The problem arises when you don't enjoy some if not most of them, for whatever reason, be it their personality or their clashing personalities. The Bat Family is a particularly dysfunctional one. A lot of baggage there. Some if not all of us don't enjoy baggage.

And when you're not interested in the character, don't know them, don't know their baggage, you view them as the baggage for bringing their baggage.

I'm enjoying this story, I'm not interested in your story, why do you bring your baggage to a book I enjoy?

This applies to EVERYONE. Omigosh Bruce, stop dragging Nightwing to your problems. Omigosh Tim and Damian, stop fighting. Omigosh Jason, obey Batman or leave. Omigosh Nightwing, stop dating people who are not Batgirl. Omigosh why is Duke even here there's already so many of you. Omigosh Damian, stop insulting people. Omigosh Cass, stop being impossibly strong.

Insert all the other examples here depending on what you're reading, and whichever characters you're not reading because you don't care because you tried and you're not interested in them, yet you have to deal with them anyway because they're family.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

"I didn't sign up for this trainwreck." Same. Me neither. The difference is we're jumping at different stations. Some stations already have certain members to the family, so we're used to certain conditions, but some have been there since the beginning, and the train is getting crowded, and some of the characters just. Won't. Change.

Why are people in the back cart so noisy? This is my train! Why are people at the front shouting at the back cart? Batman, stop kissing Catwoman while you're driving! Can't we just uncouple the last two carts and get rid Duke, Harper, and Damian so it's less crowded?... oh look, Alfred got run over by the train.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 04-08-2020 at 11:50 AM.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

It depends on how the character is written really.

My favorites:

Cassandra: Before the Beechen Mess, she was by far my favorite member of the Bat-Family. I read her series religiously after reading issue #25. At this point, I don't see her returning to her glory (if ever)

Bruce: Many times I like him but there are times he's too self righteous (even a jerk) for my taste

Dick: Rarely have I disliked his character. He's the one you want to talk to if you're down or need inspiration.

Huntress: Never considered her a member of the Bat Family but I really like her the character

Depends:

Barbara: Strongly prefer her as Oracle. I tried reading Batgirl a few times. Maybe I can't get into it, but it feels like this is backwards for Oracle. She doesn't have to be confined to a wheelchair again but I thought she was lightyears more interesting (and useful) as Oracle

Jason Todd: Really depends on the writer and the story. Overall, I like how they still kept him as the one with Batman Training but continues to use violent methods to get the job done

Kathy Kane: I like her solo stories but she doesn't appear to fit in the family. Just thrown in

Damian Wayne: Sometimes I enjoy the character, other times I flat out can't stand him. Lately I think his flavor is getting stale. He's this close to getting thrown into the "Don't Like" category

Checked "Don't Like"

Tim Drake: Most of the time I found him boring. Bruce-lite and stale

Duke Thomas: Never got into this character
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 04-08-2020 at 12:50 PM.

Fantastic Member

I never got into Tim Drake as Robin. Throughout my whole time of reading Batman comics I heard how great Tim was. I Tried reading his Robin series couldn't get into it which made me sad. Because I like Chuck Dixon's writing. Loved his work on Birds of Prey and Nightwing. But never got into Robin. I read books with Tim in them over the years and over time I felt like DC has been banking for years on his fanbase having 90s nostalgia. Which seems to be clear as day now since the only book he has been seen in now is Young Justice.

Duke I just don't see a need for.

I used to really not like Damian but after reading more books with him over the years he is not just my favorite Robin but my favorite character overall in DC Comics.
    Bruce's writing over the years hasn't led me to reading more of his solo adventures. I like him with a supporting cast and I don't find him that interesting to read alone. Right now if you were to set down Batman, Teen Titans, or any other book with a batfamily member I will choose it over Batman.

I don't hate any character in the batfamily I can love them all if writers make their stories interesting.

Checked Damian and Kathy Kane. I cannot stand Damian and he makes me vomit every time I see him, he tarnishes the legacy of Robin with every passing minute.

I don't know why Spoiler isn't up there.

Surprised Tim and Damian are tied and that Jason has so many votes. Very interesting poll.

I'm surprised that Duke is leading this by a country mile. If I was a betting woman, I'd have but my money on Damian.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post
    I'm surprised that Duke is leading this by a country mile. If I was a betting woman, I'd have but my money on Damian.
    Me too, on the other hand Duke had such a big introduction that it was going to be hard to keep it up.

Can't say I dislike any of them. At best, I am not particularly interested in Huntress.

I can see why Duke has the most votes. He suffered from a poor introduction and he came at a time where some fans started to feel that the Bat-Family was getting too big.
    Last edited by KC; 04-09-2020 at 10:19 AM.

Sure Duke was overhyped but has he ever did anything really bad? I'm used to all the infighting between various Robin fans. There's usually some event that we blame for the reason we don't like 'x' character. ie. Tim stans might dislike Dick because he took the Robin mantle from Tim. They might hate Damian because he tried to murder him or so on. Poor old Duke is just there.

Sure Duke was overhyped but has he ever did anything really bad? I'm used to all the infighting between various Robin fans. There's usually some event that we blame for the reason we don't like 'x' character. ie. Tim stans might dislike Dick because he took the Robin mantle from Tim. They might hate Damian because he tried to murder him or so on. Poor old Duke is just there.
    It's not necessarily that Duke did anything bad. It's just his introduction in Synder's Batman was not the greatest (I don't think many people were super invested in his plotline in the Endgame storyline) and his appearance in the rather mildly received "We Are Robin" book means that he isn't going to be many peoples favourite character. Add on the fact that some fans think the Bat-Family is too big and he is seen as just being another additon to something that has got too big and not much else.

Bluebird

I imagine that if Harper was on the poll, she’d eclipse him even moreso.