View Poll Results: which Batfamily member you don't like ?

Voters
171. You may not vote on this poll
  • Batman (Bruce Wayne)

20 11.70%
  • Nightwing (Dick Grayson)

10 5.85%
  • Drake (Tim Drake)

37 21.64%
  • Robin (Damian Wayne)

50 29.24%
  • Batwoman (Kathy Kane)

33 19.30%
  • Huntress (Helena Bertinelli)

17 9.94%
  • Orphan (Cassandra Cain)

22 12.87%
  • Batiglrl (Barbara Gordon)

15 8.77%
  • Signal (Duke Thomas)

73 42.69%
  • Red Hood (Jason Todd)

41 23.98%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Harper could take over for Alfred.
    I'm indifferent with her, but the mere idea is revolting, Alfred was great and if someone were to replace him on principle I'd hate that character.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    we'll be doing this dance forever J.D.
    Please no. TT__TT

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Looking at the poll results, I'm surprised that Duke is so disliked.He's one of the more likable Bat fan members currently.
    Partly due to Duke being the newest option on the poll, wherein those who want to vote and have no opinion on Duke but who like each of the other options in some way and wouldn't dare vote for them then scapegoat Duke. This inflates Duke's score.

Beyond that, lemonpeace already pointed how the reasons given for Duke's disdain are non-answers that boil down to two basic flavors.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I wouldn't say Duke is written bad so much as he's written irregularly. he isn't used often or consistently, so his character doesn't gain much traction, which makes it easier for fans who were already going to write him off to write him off or trash him. what're the top reasons give by people who hate him? it's usually one of two things: either they are mad that they feel he's stepping in on some other characters page real estate ("there are already too many bat-characters, they should use x person" "he's stealing x person's thing") or they just say he's just boring (which usually denotes they don't know much about the character). both could be fixed by regular use that would showcase his distinction from other characters.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 04-10-2020 at 09:31 PM.

BANNED

I like Duke. even if i haven't read about him yet... I like the costume. It's alot better than batwing. I didn't care for both batwings, but Signal is a cool looking character.

Mighty Member

I miss Batwing as opportunity to choose..

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes View Post
    IMO, she could be Bluebird again, but off doing her own thing as an Outsider or Young Justice member. Not necessarily tied to Batman directly.
    NO!! I like Harper, but she better fits in the Bat-Family...
    The last thing which Young Justice needs is another human with no meta-human powers...

Spoiler,Hex,Arrowette and Tim Drake are already more than enough...

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    Initially is the key word. She got better and more key to every plot the more it all progressed. Going toe to toe with the other more experienced characters the more things kept happening. She was this cool character that I just couldn't see why was so cool, no matter what the writer kept telling me she was by the veterans characters (edit: I'm aware this sounds somewhat petty, but I don't mean to sound so). She kept filling the place some other character would have fit more naturally in the story, with her having zero previous story to substantiate any connection and involvement I could feel for her (edit: this is what I actually mean). It's like she kept occupying a lightspot too big in the stage of the play. Without a good enough reason why (for me).
    I generally have a big problem with stuff like that. I can understand doing that in the "old days". But nowadays, eh... Show me why, and how, and why should be her and not any other character I'm certainly more familiar with and involved with, doing stuff in the pages I'm reading. She felt too much like a Poochie for me.

I think I got more attached to her brother, to be honest.

This is just my personal opinion, though. Which is, well, an opinion. I generally don't like Snyder's writing (or Tynion's), and that sure helped in boring me. She had a cool design, that's something on my plus list. And she also reminded me a lot of Max from BB, which could be a good thing; but for some reason she didn't get to profit of that bonus. Something was done in a manner that burned me soon.

Edit: also, about her Mary Sue-ness. it's not just* that she was a genius who just fit perfectly in the batclan and everyone kept supporting her almost instantly. It's that I can't recall any mess she would've done that brought any conflict that meant any consequence for her status or circumstances. She was just generally right in her choices and opinions; of too impulsive or too confident, but then it all ends fine and... nothing else. It's been a while since I've read BE / BaRE, but this is the sensations that I still remember from when I read them (I may be remembering wrong, basically).
    Edit much later: I've no problems with new characters usually, and welcome them if I feel them interesting enough. I liked Shawn in Nightwing, for example.
    Actually I have to say that I personally prefer Huntress and Harper over Damian, Duke, Batwing, Batwoman..

I would be more than ok with:

Alfred
    Batman
    Red Robin (Tim)
    Red Hood (Jason)
    Nightwing
    Harper
    Huntress

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    NO!! I like Harper, but she better fits in the Bat-Family...
    The last thing which Young Justice needs is another human with no meta-human powers...

Spoiler,Hex,Arrowette and Tim Drake are already more than enough...

Actually I have to say that I personally prefer Huntress and Harper over Damian, Duke, Batwing, Batwoman..

I would be more than ok with:

Alfred
    Batman
    Red Robin (Tim)
    Red Hood (Jason)
    Nightwing
    Harper
    Huntress
    It's not that I dislike Harper Row. I feel pretty neutral towards her. I would be inclined to like her, if they could pulish her a bit more and she could entertain me enough. But instead of entertaining, she was stuck in what I was reading in a very non organic, not subtle way for me, with a poor management of her traits and personality. It makes her boring in my eyes.

But I also find stuff like Sword Art Online incredibly boring, so what can I say.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 04-11-2020 at 01:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Please no. TT__TT
    I'll tell you what, for the sake of our relationship I'll compromise. he can keep everything else about the suit, as is, so long as they take that bat off his face and simply let him have his own symbol on his chest; or converse double down on the shadow powers and bat motifs, and have him be the shadow bat or the shade or something. otherwise I'm sorry but, not matter how good Dexter Soy and Veronica Gandini make it look, the dissonance between his light motifs (which Hill appears to have abandoned anyway) and the overreliance on bat imagery in his suit will just never sit right with me.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Partly due to Duke being the newest option on the poll, wherein those who want to vote and have no opinion on Duke but who like each of the other options in some way and wouldn't dare vote for them then scapegoat Duke. This inflates Duke's score.

Beyond that, lemonpeace already pointed how the reasons given for Duke's disdain are non-answers that boil down to two basic flavors.
    Nevertheless, Duke remains the weakest character on that list. Damian may be a little past his expiration date in everything but Supersons, but he has a very distinctive voice. Tim, Jason and Barbara might all have detractors In the fan wars but they all have stories that could only be told featuring those characters. Harper was a bit of a misfire but she had a distinct point of view. That point of view as elucidated by Snyder was ‘what if she didn’t care who Batman was and just wanted to to be a badass vigilante’ and the answer accidentally ended up being ‘it would make her look like an irresponsible dope’. But it was still a point of view.

Duke doesn’t have a point of view as a character, particularly since ‘Robin without Batman’ was dropped like a hot potato.Except maybe ‘what would it be like if Robin had superpowers?’ The answer to which is basically ‘like every other non-breakout character on the titans roster ever’

It's not that I dislike Harper Row. I feel pretty neutral towards her. I would be inclined to like her, if they could pulish her a bit more and she could entertain me enough. But instead of entertaining, she was stuck in what I was reading in a very non organic, not subtle way for me, with a poor management of her traits and personality. It makes her boring in my eyes.

But I also find stuff like Sword Art Online incredibly boring, so what can I say.
    I wasn't expecting to see a mention of SAO in this thread .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wasn't expecting to see a mention of SAO in this thread .
    I'm just like the Spanish Inquisition, but of the 21st Century ;D

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

No hardcore anime fans I know like Sword Art Online. I never watched them myself but from what I heard the reputation is like Twilight.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    No hardcore anime fans I know like Sword Art Online. I never watched them myself but from what I heard the reputation is like Twilight.
    Hardcore or not, SAO was a big hit and a lot of people love it to their heart ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Yeah, it has some of the problems Twillight has, for me. But it's also a different genre overall.
    Attack on Titan, though, now we're talking . There, I can understand the appeal.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 04-11-2020 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    There are definitely hardcore fans who like SAO otherwise it wouldn't be as popular as it is. Of course there are plenty of hardcore detractors as well, but those have died down with subsequent arcs (especially with the current Alicization story).

Bluebird

Quote Originally Posted by Swallowtail View Post
    Nevertheless, Duke remains the weakest character on that list. Damian may be a little past his expiration date in everything but Supersons, but he has a very distinctive voice. Tim, Jason and Barbara might all have detractors In the fan wars but they all have stories that could only be told featuring those characters. Harper was a bit of a misfire but she had a distinct point of view. That point of view as elucidated by Snyder was ‘what if she didn’t care who Batman was and just wanted to to be a badass vigilante’ and the answer accidentally ended up being ‘it would make her look like an irresponsible dope’. But it was still a point of view.

Duke doesn’t have a point of view as a character, particularly since ‘Robin without Batman’ was dropped like a hot potato.Except maybe ‘what would it be like if Robin had superpowers?’ The answer to which is basically ‘like every other non-breakout character on the titans roster ever’
    Harper just straight up retiring from being Bluebird and deciding to help by being a medic was an interesting character route that sadly never got followed up on.