Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Fantastic Member SchismOfMadroces's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Magneto and Apocalypse are also false gods in my book they've already been proven mortal on many occasions, Apocalypse was legit murdered by Rogue a couple months ago.
    To be fair, it's not like gods don't die. At this point, I think Baldur might compete with Jean Grey in times he's been snuffed out. Hell, the mythological Baldur died and stayed dead, if I remember correctly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SchismOfMadroces View Post
    To be fair, it's not like gods don't die. At this point, I think Baldur might compete with Jean Grey in times he's been snuffed out. Hell, the mythological Baldur died and stayed dead, if I remember correctly.
    That's true.

The Greek Pantheon was murdered not to long ago.

I think the concept of GODS seems to be very inconstant nowdays.

Wiccan is a god

Quote Originally Posted by gambitxremy View Post
    Wiccan is a god
    Wiccan can't teleport three times in a row

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Wiccan can't teleport three times in a row
    Still a god despite inconsistent writing to fit the plot. Ugh just talking about that upsets me Tini is always toning l/nerfing down her characters to fit the plot she even does it in Excalibur. It's really something she should fix before Swords of X she'll piss a lot of people off if she doesn't.
    Last edited by Journey; 04-02-2020 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post

Unless being born out of the divine themselves, people Don't become gods.
    Acquiring godlike powers and becoming a god are not the same thing.
    Actually, a number of myths and religions do have humans becoming gods. This was the origin of Malina, the Inuit sun goddess for example.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    If the power of worship can empower you (give you superhuman powers, not that televangelist BS). Then I consider you a god.
    Now that you mentioned this, what about Exodus? Doesn't he get stronger when people have faith in him?

I don't know, but he's a psionic so probably it's connected to that, and as well as he's a psychic vampire.
    Last edited by sugarfree; 04-02-2020 at 10:16 PM.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

What makes a god in the marvel universe? Gods were birthed from the elder gods (specifucally Demiurge). Moreover, gods are generally powered by faith or divine energy, that is the more believers the god has the more powerful they become. If a character doesnt exhibit these attributes then they are false gods.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    This! Especially Apocalypse, he's not even one of the worlds most powerful mutant when it comes to actual mutant powers like some people want to believe. Mutant powers-wise, Meggan can do everything he can do and more. Celestial tech is not his mutant power. Now that I think about without amps he's not that high, but we count his amps so he's up there.
    But it's not just about power levels and it doesn't have to be linked solely to your mutant power. Apocalypse has a lot in common with Marvel Gods or the Eternals: he's shown to be able to come back from Death (straight up reappearing or coming back in other forms), he has disciplesz magical and cosmic connections and such. He's the one mutant that I would bet on for the next ascension.

I think that mutant who could become Gods in the Marvel sense could be Selene, Apocalypse and Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    What makes a god in the marvel universe? Gods were birthed from the elder gods (specifucally Demiurge). Moreover, gods are generally powered by faith or divine energy, that is the more believers the god has the more powerful they become. If a character doesnt exhibit these attributes then they are false gods.
    I think that it's gotten a bit more nebulous, since ascension is definitely possible and new Gods can arise in different places/planets.

I'd say that you either 1) find a big enough source of power to cause your body and your soul to ascend (like Selene did with souls) 2) are imbued with divine power (like Syrin and Jane Foster) 3) ascend thanks to faith and prayers (like the Orishas or Storm) 4) or you are born/descend from/are created a God like the Asgardians and the Olympians.

One interesting thing is that Olympians are now said to be an aspect of reality itself, so they cannot disappear (even though they can be killed, but they'll come back). So it's kinda similar to cosmic forces such as Galactus or the Phoenix.

If you think about it is kinda a useless title for some characters when you have characters with "godly powers" like reality warpers or powerful magic users that can have more power than these gods.

For example Legion or Selene/Morgan Le Fay with a huge source of power.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    I think that it's gotten a bit more nebulous, since ascension is definitely possible and new Gods can arise in different places/planets.

I'd say that you either 1) find a big enough source of power to cause your body and your soul to ascend (like Selene did with souls) 2) are imbued with divine power (like Syrin and Jane Foster) 3) ascend thanks to faith and prayers (like the Orishas or Storm) 4) or you are born/descend from/are created a God like the Asgardians and the Olympians.

One interesting thing is that Olympians are now said to be an aspect of reality itself, so they cannot disappear (even though they can be killed, but they'll come back). So it's kinda similar to cosmic forces such as Galactus or the Phoenix.
    I like how you have grouped or categorized these which I think captures the different instances of how gods have came to their power. I know in the case of asgardians/wakandan gods at least their power is augmented by prayer/faith. In chaos war the mini explores how faith and prayer powers thor.

the idea of faith/prayer seems to be a common theme with at least the "old gods". with "newer gods" in the case of storm I think there still has to be something innately within the character that links them back to god source or elder gods. this is why tchalla tells ororo her gift of godhead goes deeper than her mutation.

Last edited by butterflykyss; 04-03-2020 at 12:28 AM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post

What is that panel from?

As to the topic at hand I think to be a God you must be worshiped and have power beyond that of normal mortals. The X-Men fall into this category so those with powers could be considered gods potentially. Any time you are possessed by the Phoenix Force you are definitely a God lol.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I like how you have grouped or categorized these which I think captures the different instances of how gods have came to their power. I know in the case of asgardians/wakandan gods at least their power is augmented by prayer/faith. In chaos war the mini explores how faith and prayer powers thor.

the idea of faith/prayer seems to be a common theme with at least the "old gods". with "newer gods" in the case of storm I think there still has to be something innately within the character that links them back to god source or elder gods. this is why tchalla tells ororo her gift of godhead goes deeper than her mutation.

Thanks for posting that Chaos War scan, I remembered there was more talk about prayers there but it's been a long time since I read it hahaha.

It'd be nice if there was a common energy source for divine beings that you can access once you ascend to Godhood. Like that God-Force thing that is being hinted at in Fantastic Four/X-Men.

Selene did it, even if it was brief.

I'm going to repeat some things that I said in the other thread. So the main argument against Storm currently being a Goddess is that a God requires superhuman physiology (where has this been stated?) and that you need to be born a God or part of God's pantheon (again, it needs proof).
    And be able to overcome death, either through resurrection and/or reincarnation and/or transcending death via another form.
    Those are recurring staples we can see in the pantheons depicted in Marvel comics.

Also, the Hadari Yao thing is quite new so we don't know what Storm stats are when she's in the that status.
    It's interesting how you likened what happened to Storm to what happened with Selene in the other thread, because the latter received a power-up through the ritual she practiced. Same thing happened to Storm, does that makes her a goddess? I Don't think it did for Selene, and I Don't think it did for Storm either.

But it's been canonically established that:

[LIST][*]Humans and non-naturally born Gods can ascend to godhood, like the Orishas the Gods of Wakanda, which include the Goddes Bast. It's been implied that this is what's happening to Storm right now thanks to the faith of Wakandans (see Black Panther);
    The Orishas are beings who transcended their mortal limitations (biological wants and needs, death and the test of time), that's not the case of Storm at all.
    She isn't an Orisha, or another godlike being: eating, breathing, sleeping are still imperative to her, she's still subject to time (aging) and death (vulnerable to man-made weapons and skills, among other things who can kill her).

[*]The definition of God is not tied only to genetics like for the Asgardians. The Goddess Morrigan has been established to be essentially a title, and both humans and mutants can ascend to Morrigan status and become full-on Gods, like Syrin did (see X-Factor) assuming all of her powers, including a God-like physiology;
    As I said in the other thread, Morrigan is a divinity jumping from host to host, more or less with their assent, more or less with Freedom of action attached to it.
    It's a form of possession if we are being honest, not just a title transition, but I digress.
    Bottom line being the essence of the Morrigan is what's being divine, not the host who's harboring it.

Furthermore, we know this isn't what's occuring with Storm, she's not the conduit for a god(ess) so her case is different than the one of Syrin with Morrigan.

[*]Selene ascended to godhood in Necrosha, consuming the souls of the Resurrected mutants. Her ascension was so powerful that it reverberated in the whole spiritual realm;
    Selene performed a mystical ritual that gave her godlike-power, she didn't become a god herself, that's just abusing the word.
    Magical beings on Earth were alerted because of the mystical nature of said power-up.
    Again, acquiring goldlike-powers ≠ being a god(ess).

[*]Thor has made quite clear (alongside other stuff like Chaos War) that there are countless pantheons and, also, that the main thing that powers and makes Gods is prayers and faith, and also that Gods can appear in all forms and be born of different species/on different planets and not only from established species like the 10 Realms species or Olympus. So a new Goddess arising from the mutant population is not that far fecthed;
    I asked you yesterday where were those divine powers fuelled by the faith and prayers you are referring to when she was depowered by russian soldiers in Marauders #1? Or when Batroc kicked her around more recently?
    I never saw an answer.
    Truth is, they were nowhere to be seen because Storm isn't an actual goddess, just worshipped as one.
    I suspect that Hadari Yao form to be a faith-based powerboost rather than an actual divine transformation - Storm existence isn't dependant on said prayers and faith, she's still vulnerable to most mortal weaponry on Earth alone, she cannot revive or transcend death, even after being worshipped in Kenya and now Wakanda.
    A power boost she admitted early on to T'challa by the way...
    By the standard you are referring to here, Storm isn't a goddess either.

As for mutants becoming godlike, well they have the connection to cosmic forces and innate mutant magic, so who knows. They might have a way to ascend like Selene did.
    Selene never ascended to godhood, she got drunk on the powerboost/godlike power she acquired thanks to her ritual.
    Acquiring godlike powers and being a god are two different things.
    Last edited by People Of The Earth; 04-03-2020 at 01:18 AM.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."