Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Is Peter Cannon Thunderbolt not part of the DCU?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Yes, and no. In that he WAS, having had a short******d series in either the late 90s, or early 2000s. Other heroes featured IIRC, Hal Jordan...briefly, and a few others, most notably Power Girl in his own series, and he also appeared in a JL Quarterly with Captain Atom, Nightshade, a one-off Judomaster, and Blue Beetle (Ted) fighting his big bad. But after that, the character left DC with his creator, who later died. IIRC, he's had a recent series in another publisher.

Edit, I don't know why that bit with the asterisks is happening, but the word lived after a hyphen to indicate a brief existence doesn't strike me as needing that sort of treatment...
    Last edited by achilles; 04-08-2020 at 08:30 AM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Doctor Mirage

Really great pick! Her current title has been solid, with amazing colouring.

For Justice League

Valaria from Weapon Zero (IIRC also the only surviving member so... kinda fits).

Turns into this massive creature in the when angry or scared or overly emotional or...

(follows in a follow up post because of forum limitations)

For Justice League Odyssey

Machiko Noguchi

For Justice League Dark

Lady Death

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    He was seen in DCU Legacies #5 (November, 2010) for one:

Extraordinary Member

He was seen in DCU Legacies #5 (November, 2010) for one:
    Interesting, that was the same crew with him that was in that old JL Quarterly I mentioned. But I didn't know about this one. I think his creator took him back though, a while before he died.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Interesting, that was the same crew with him that was in that old JL Quarterly I mentioned. But I didn't know about this one. I think his creator took him back though, a while before he died.
    Ah, this note I just found from the DC Database seems to explain it:

“Peter Cannon was not owned by Charlton Comics; he was licensed to Charlton by his creator Pete Morisi. So when DC "bought" Peter Cannon from Charlton in 1983, they really only bought Charlton's license to publish Peter Cannon. When the original agreement between Charlton and Morisi expired, DC negotiated with Morisi (and/or his estate) directly to extend it for a while. But eventually, DC let the license lapse, and Morisi's estate has since licensed Peter Cannon to other publishers. As of 2012, DC has no rights to publish Peter Cannon. Subsequent series were published by Dynamite Entertainment in 2014 and 2019.” - https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Peter_Can...w_Earth)#Notes

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Speaking of which (Batman #253, November 1973):

This always struck me as odd, given how murderous The Shadow is. I mean, he's essentially Batman & The Joker mixed into one character--and a far more interesting in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    This always struck me as odd, given how murderous The Shadow is. I mean, he's essentially Batman & The Joker mixed into one character--and a far more interesting in my opinion.
    Not all that odd, or at least not for the original closer to Pulp era Batman (which O'Neil was somewhat trying to hearken back to) considering Batman first story by Bill Finger was essentially a cribbed Shadow story called "Partners of Peril", they once fit pretty much the same m.o.
    Although it's true the Shadow is somewhat toned down here, shooting guns out of peoples hands, instead of outright killing them.

Last edited by Güicho; 04-12-2020 at 08:02 AM.

Is this series any good? Dynamite's pulp stuff has been hit or miss for me.
    It was pretty good, but in the end a bit to heavily loaded with characters, they kept adding them as the story progressed (some just felt tacked on like Dynamite just wanted to use absolutely everything they had just licensed ) .
    It might have been better if they really just focused on and well developed a specific few.
    I think most of it came from a reworking of a Spider story and premise.

Also surprised they didn't use the actual Pulp era legacy (then)modern Zorro Santiago (James) Vega, who actually had a movie in 1937, and was an actual contemporary of all the other characters, already fighting mobsters with tommy-guns, swinging from modern city roof tops, and riding off in a slick black sedan, all still before Batman even existed.

(1937)

(1939)
    Last edited by Güicho; 04-11-2020 at 08:17 AM.

While it’s not invalid to think Batman shouldn’t kill, at least as far as Bill Finger’s original intent in the writing was concerned, I don’t think it’s invalid to think that Batman should be willing kill in self-defense either, so it wouldn’t surprise me if Bill Finger was inspired to write Batman like that because of the Shadow (Detective Comics #35, January 1940):

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Not all that odd, or at least not for the original closer to Pulp era Batman (which O'Neil was somewhat trying to hearken back to) considering Batman first story by Bill Finger was essentially a cribbed Shadow story called "Partners of Peril", they once fit pretty much the same m.o.
    Although it's true the Shadow is somewhat toned down here, shooting guns out of peoples hands, instead of outright killing them.
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm talking about. The only way I could see the post 1939 Batman admiring The Shadow is if he was a nerfed version of himself who didn't actually kill, which isn't really The Shadow at all. The no-kill policy that was imposed on Batman was one of the few things that distinguished him from The Shadow.

While it’s not invalid to think Batman shouldn’t kill, at least as far as Bill Finger’s original intent in the writing was concerned, I don’t think it’s invalid to think that Batman should be willing kill in self-defense either, so it wouldn’t surprise me if Bill Finger was inspired to write Batman like that because of the Shadow (Detective Comics #35, January 1940):

Again, I'm aware that the earliest version of Batman didn't yet have the no kill policy, which is why I first said that a team-up between The Shadow, Doc Savage, The Rocketeer with 1938's Clark Kent, Lois Lane & Bruce Wayne would be so interesting. Even Superman was far more cavalier about taking the lives of criminals back then. I think only Doc Savage had a no kill policy back then, although he had no problem giving evil doers lobodomies

Again, I'm aware that the earliest version of Batman didn't yet have the no kill policy, which is why I first said that a team-up between The Shadow, Doc Savage, The Rocketeer with 1938's Clark Kent, Lois Lane & Bruce Wayne would be so interesting. Even Superman was far more cavalier about taking the lives of criminals back then. I think only Doc Savage had a no kill policy back then, although he had no problem giving evil doers lobodomies
    I don't know about Diana, off the top of my head I can't think of an instance where she killed anyone in the Golden Age, but Clark and Bruce definitely did. I'm pretty sure a lot of the JSA did too, in the early days. Maybe not explicitly, but stuff that was easy to infer; like when Superman throws a guy across half the city into the river. That dude did not survive the impact, and if he did by some miracle, he never made it back to shore. Pretty brutal for Superman, by today's standards.

But I'd love to see a crossover with these guys, whether the DC'ers have the no-kill rule or not. I wonder which writers could get that pulp style, Golden Age flair right?

As for Batman admiring the Shadow so much despite Bruce not taking lives....I dunno, I rationalize it the same way Clark rationalizes his no-kill code. Clark doesn't want to take a life (even though he's killed a lot of people) but he doesn't hold lethal force against cops, or even other heroes who had no other choice (Infinite Crisis bullsh*t notwithstanding). Bruce might disagree with Shadow killing people, but he can still admire the man's dedication to "the Mission."
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.