Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I don't know about Diana, off the top of my head I can't think of an instance where she killed anyone in the Golden Age, but Clark and Bruce definitely did. I'm pretty sure a lot of the JSA did too, in the early days. Maybe not explicitly, but stuff that was easy to infer; like when Superman throws a guy across half the city into the river. That dude did not survive the impact, and if he did by some miracle, he never made it back to shore. Pretty brutal for Superman, by today's standards.

But I'd love to see a crossover with these guys, whether the DC'ers have the no-kill rule or not. I wonder which writers could get that pulp style, Golden Age flair right?
    The late great Darwyn Cooke would have been a shoe-in, so I'd go with Lee Weeks as artist with maybe someone like Warren Ellis as writer.

As for Batman admiring the Shadow so much despite Bruce not taking lives....I dunno, I rationalize it the same way Clark rationalizes his no-kill code. Clark doesn't want to take a life (even though he's killed a lot of people) but he doesn't hold lethal force against cops, or even other heroes who had no other choice (Infinite Crisis bullsh*t notwithstanding). Bruce might disagree with Shadow killing people, but he can still admire the man's dedication to "the Mission."
    I'm not sure about that. Cops are only supposed to kill in self defense, and are rigorously investigated when a fatal shooting occurs. The Shadow mows people down with twin guns while laughing maniacally like The Joker. Would Batman admire The Punisher? Did Batman admire The Reaper? I can see Batman begrudgingly working with these guys and respecting their abilities, even if he finds their methods abhorrent.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Would Batman admire The Punisher?

I can see Batman begrudgingly working with these guys and respecting their abilities, even if he finds their methods abhorrent.
    Funny you should mention that. Bats actually stopped the Punisher from permanently putting down the Joker:

And according to Plas, Bats even saved a bunch of drug dealers from the Punisher during JLA/Avengers:

Last edited by K7P5V; 05-16-2020 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

I'm not sure about that. Cops are only supposed to kill in self defense, and are rigorously investigated when a fatal shooting occurs. The Shadow mows people down with twin guns while laughing maniacally like The Joker. Would Batman admire The Punisher? Did Batman admire The Reaper? I can see Batman begrudgingly working with these guys and respecting their abilities, even if he finds their methods abhorrent.
    I know. It's thin reasoning at best. But DC decided that Batman had a serious fanboy crush on the Shadow and I'm just trying to rationalize their choices. I mean, obviously we know why this was done; the Shadow was a big deal in his day and cut from the same archetype as Batman is. So of course DC wants to show some love for the history and thematic similarity; in a way Shadow is sort of like Batman's uncle. The fact that it doesn't make sense is secondary to the fanservice, but I'm trying to reconcile it anyway.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I know. It's thin reasoning at best. But DC decided that Batman had a serious fanboy crush on the Shadow and I'm just trying to rationalize their choices. I mean, obviously we know why this was done; the Shadow was a big deal in his day and cut from the same archetype as Batman is. So of course DC wants to show some love for the history and thematic similarity; in a way Shadow is sort of like Batman's uncle. The fact that it doesn't make sense is secondary to the fanservice, but I'm trying to reconcile it anyway.
    Your No-Prize is in the mail!

Your No-Prize is in the mail!
    ??!! How....how did you get my address???

"We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

??!! How....how did you get my address???

I know where everyone lives.

If its strictly Western comics; TMNT and Power Rangers (admittedly, my 3rd party knowledge is limited, and I doubt the JL would like Jackie Estacado from The Darkness, and they don't).

If we can include Manga...
    All Might (basically Superman without flight)
    Future Trunks (he doesn't let pride or arrogance get in the way like the other Saiyans do, he's FAR more pragmatic, but not heartless)
    Great Saiyaman (a great PR guy)

I may add more as they come to me.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Not too sure if Archie counts as third party, though still, I think the heroes from Archie Comics could convincingly be included well:

Last edited by Electricmastro; 04-13-2020 at 11:39 PM.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Again, I'm aware that the earliest version of Batman didn't yet have the no kill policy, which is why I first said that a team-up between The Shadow, Doc Savage, The Rocketeer with 1938's Clark Kent, Lois Lane & Bruce Wayne would be so interesting. Even Superman was far more cavalier about taking the lives of criminals back then. I think only Doc Savage had a no kill policy back then, although he had no problem giving evil doers lobodomies
    I think Jim Starlin summed Batman up when he portrayed him as a character who sometimes simply values justice over policies and rules (Batman #420, June 1988):

Justice League Dark

Witchblade
    (Sara Pezzini)

Justice League Odyssey

Nexus
    (Horatio Hellpop)

Justice League Elite

Ninjak
    (Colin King)

Last edited by K7P5V; 05-17-2020 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Young Justice

Badrock

Justice League Task Force

Savage Dragon

Extreme Justice

Chapel

JLI

Hellboy

Justice League United

Judo Girl

The SuperBuddies

Madman
    (Frank Einstein)

Not sure if they count as superheroes but old pulp characters who pre-date Superman (The Shadow, The Phantom, Doc Savage, etc) could have interesting team-ups with the JSA.
    Well there is a doc savage and shadow in the dc universe so they could. Neat note is both marvel and dc has a doc savage, dr fu munchu, john carter and tarzan in their universe!

Well pre new 52 did. Not sure if they are still canon in dc. They are in marvel.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Gaastra; 05-17-2020 at 04:48 AM.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]