Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Kinda fascinating that we ended up talking about the Hulk sexuality though.
    This is the MCU remember, the only sexuality allowed is heterosexual
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    This is the MCU remember, the only sexuality allowed is heterosexual
    In the movies, thankfully outside that they've been more progressive. Like Runaways, and Jessica Jones. Now I'm thinking about it I'm worried this'll regress since they'll be putting their shows on Disney+.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    In the movies, thankfully outside that they've been more progressive. Like Runaways, and Jessica Jones. Now I'm thinking about it I'm worried this'll regress since they'll be putting their shows on Disney+.
    Only time will tell, but I'm not holding my breath. Until Disney won't allow countries to cut the moments of LGBT+ sexuality in their films (which is what will happen to the upcoming Inhumans film), everything they say is just lip-service.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

About the Hitler scene, the article says "It was a moment paying homage to the source material and a classic comic book cover, but would Disney be happy with one of their superheroes beating up one of the most evil men in history? It's hard to say, but we can't help but wonder whether this would have led to some strong discussions behind the scenes." And I have to ask: WHY THE HELL NOT? What is supposed to be wrong with Captain America taking down Hitler? Is it really controversial? Is it offending anyone? (neo-nazis and holocaust deniers don't count... in fact, if we offend them, so much the better) What can be possibly more black & white than a good superhero against the most evil man in history?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    About the Hitler scene, the article says "It was a moment paying homage to the source material and a classic comic book cover, but would Disney be happy with one of their superheroes beating up one of the most evil men in history? It's hard to say, but we can't help but wonder whether this would have led to some strong discussions behind the scenes." And I have to ask: WHY THE HELL NOT? What is supposed to be wrong with Captain America taking down Hitler? Is it really controversial? Is it offending anyone? (neo-nazis and holocaust deniers don't count... in fact, if we offend them, so much the better) What can be possibly more black & white than a good superhero against the most evil man in history?
    If anything it's become more relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    https://www.comicbookmovie.com/marve...-a174255?cp=10

10. Bruce Banner Can't Get Laid

9. Tony Stark's Stripper Pole

8. General "Thunderbolt" Ross' Love Of Cigars

7. Tony Stark's Alcoholism

6. Sexualising Black Widow

5. F-Bombs

4. Recasting Rhodey

3. "Thunderstruck"

2. Captain America Punches Hitler

1. Sex Scenes

Bob Iger achieved the unimaginable in belittling the MCU. He should have put that in his book instead of saying Marvel was too edgy.
    Is this thread part of the greatest franchise thread, I had no clue MCU had become so restricted. Its more of a kid friendly franchise.

BANNED

It is only restricted like this in the OPs version of reality.

Would have liked to see something like this from the OP regarding the Fox X-Men movies. But that would be against certain bias.

Some of these listed stuff seem like they are just there to court controversy. Cap not being allowed to punch Hitler? Really?

Also, I'm surprised that nobody has brought up Captain America swearing in the MCU and how that tied into his character developing. From calling Tony out for swearing in the beginning of AoU to 'Fury, you son of a bitch' to 'lets go get this son of a bitch' to 'you gotta be fucking shitting me'. Cap swearing showed how increasingly tired he was of the constant endless war and obstacles in his way. Not to mention all the fan chatter about him being a virgin.

Anyway, sex, violence and gore doesn't automatically make something better. A story could have all of that and still be shallow as a puddle while a story with none of that could still be deep and meaningful.

It's also overly simplistic to claim that MCU are just kiddie movies. Yes, the MCU movies have humor in them but they also have plenty of drama, moral greys and moments where you are clearly not supposed to agree with the characters. Civil War literally opens with Cap having to answer for civilian casualties, Tony spent a whole trilogy fighting villains of his own making and being both the hero and villain of his story then brought that to the Avengers movies, the Cap/Zemo conflict and the Panther/Killmonger conflict, the bad guys flat out won in Civil War and Infinity War with Endgame showing the Avengers trying to manage a post apocalyptic world until Ant-Man arrived. Compare to say, the Defenders shows where it's atmospherically dark but it's 'flawed good guys against really evil bad guys'. Nobody is going to argue that Fisk, Killgrave, Billy Russo or the Hand had a point whereas film villains like Zemo, Killmonger and Whiplash had strong reasons for being opposing the heroes because said heroes were the villains in their story.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Some of these listed stuff seem like they are just there to court controversy. Cap not being allowed to punch Hitler? Really?

Also, I'm surprised that nobody has brought up Captain America swearing in the MCU and how that tied into his character developing. From calling Tony out for swearing in the beginning of AoU to 'Fury, you son of a bitch' to 'lets go get this son of a bitch' to 'you gotta be fucking shitting me'. Cap swearing showed how increasingly tired he was of the constant endless war and obstacles in his way. Not to mention all the fan chatter about him being a virgin.

Anyway, sex, violence and gore doesn't automatically make something better. A story could have all of that and still be shallow as a puddle while a story with none of that could still be deep and meaningful.

It's also overly simplistic to claim that MCU are just kiddie movies. Yes, the MCU movies have humor in them but they also have plenty of drama, moral greys and moments where you are clearly not supposed to agree with the characters. Civil War literally opens with Cap having to answer for civilian casualties, Tony spent a whole trilogy fighting villains of his own making and being both the hero and villain of his story then brought that to the Avengers movies, the Cap/Zemo conflict and the Panther/Killmonger conflict, the bad guys flat out won in Civil War and Infinity War with Endgame showing the Avengers trying to manage a post apocalyptic world until Ant-Man arrived. Compare to say, the Defenders shows where it's atmospherically dark but it's 'flawed good guys against really evil bad guys'. Nobody is going to argue that Fisk, Killgrave, Billy Russo or the Hand had a point whereas film villains like Zemo, Killmonger and Whiplash had strong reasons for being opposing the heroes because said heroes were the villains in their story.
    cap said "You gotta be fu**ing shitting me"?

I remember two heavily implied F bombs but not heard from Fury and Aunt may. And then Fury said Mother flurkin that sounds like mother fu**er.

Ultimate Member

I imagine that the controversy is from two very basic facts.

One, Hitler was/is real. His victims are/were real. The bastard invented new crimes against humanity, and it cost tens of millions of lives to stop him.

Two, Captain America is not real. He never defeated a single Nazi, never stopped a war crime and sadly, never punched Hitler in the face. He may have inspired a great many proud Americans back in the day, but that's it.

So some might find it in poor taste. Tarantino, Disney is not.

And I know some will say 'What about the comics'?

Well, suspension of disbelief for 2-D characters with no tone of voice is far different from what we accept with live action.
    Last edited by The Cool Thatguy; 05-20-2020 at 06:40 AM.

In a not so kid friendly franchise, Hitler would get massacred.

"Stegosaurus!" OrangeRangerPete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    But we're still going to make damn sure that Hemsworth takes his shirt off, at least once a movie, for no discernable or plot-relevant reason. It's probably written into his contract.
    Australian adventurer, and Orange Ranger.