Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

It sounds like Marvel plans at the earliest to start publishing again in July. Since everything is uncertain right now, they only want to go with books that are most likely to sell.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Like I said, this pandemic hit at the worst time for Marvel. They can’t over ship event tie ins, or force stores to buy in bulk to get the variants they want. No surprise they’re culling the line. I would expect DC to do the same eventually. For the first time Marvel is going to have to only put out what people will actually buy.
    Those stores do that by CHOICE to get that one variant that they will sale for too much and get that ONE sale.

Stores do have the power of choice.

As for put out what people will buy? So you have been to every comic book store and know what sales? Because despite the hate squad who will be out in force now-sales vary by store.

Maybe this means when I go to a store I won't see 10-20 copies of unsold X-Men books on the shelf. The books that actually have large piles of unsold books that folks seem to miss seeing at times.

I can see New Warriors and Power Pack easily getting suspended.
    Or just put them in OGN formats. Along with all the Empyre tie ins.

Like, can a book like Runaways survive this?
    Yes.

I bet it would depend on how many books have mail subscriptions. They take out Miles-do I get a refund on the remaining 10 issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It's well known that Kamala's a strong digital seller. If the same can be said for Champions, then the Outlawed line will be fine - but going digital exclusive might not be a bad idea. Miles' solo is the best seller in the direct market out of the Champions adjacent titles.

Runaways also probably sells better digitally - it should've been cancelled some time ago based on direct market sales estimates.

It was the worst seller of the Dawn of X books by a country mile.
    Yes but wasn't it the combination of digital and physical sales making some of the lower selling books worth it for Marvel? A book may sell better digitally but if the physical copy doesn't sell that well to begin with and now they can't rely on physical sales either then what is the point?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I bet it would depend on how many books have mail subscriptions. They take out Miles-do I get a refund on the remaining 10 issues?
    You usually get switched to another title. If Ghost-Spider is cancelled and Gwen doesn't get a new title, then her subs would probably go over to another spider title - probably Miles. If Miles was axed, his subs would probably go to Amazing Spider-Man.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

So will this effect the April line?

What about the iron man 2020 event books? Are force works and those books canned?

Quote Originally Posted by Storm17 View Post
    So will this effect the April line?
    That is the question isn't it like WTF are they doing still no announcement about the April 1st comics, or April 8th, they still have time to just push everything back by one week and get on schedule if they want, or they could release all of April 1st comics in April 8th aswell I just need to know, money is no problem I'm racking up so much of the **** right now it's ridiculous ain't nowhere to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    What about the iron man 2020 event books? Are force works and those books canned?
    I could see those getting suspended no one's really been talking about them.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I just want to start fucking empyre goddamn it!!!
    That's fine IDGAF just give me something to read I'm fed up! Just give me Lords of Empyre Hulking!! And main Series Empyre and I am good! Most of those tie ins seemed excessive anyway, though it sucks ass for those who put their hard ass work into them though.
    I need Emperor Hulking so Bad!! Though that was Scheduled for this month so hopefully we're good.. I also need Strikeforce!! **** I'm stressed!!!
    That is the question isn't it like WTF are they doing still no announcement about the April 1st comics, or April 8th, they still have time to just push everything back by one week and get on schedule if they want, or they could release all of April 1st comics in April 8th aswell I just need to know, money is no problem I'm racking up so much of the **** right now it's ridiculous ain't nowhere to go.

Yes, you've made it abundantly clear you DGAF as long as your favorite book comes out immediately.

I'm glad you are rolling in the dough. With 10 million unemployed in the US due to the crisis, and now some Marvel creators joining them, you are very fortunate.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Those stores do that by CHOICE to get that one variant that they will sale for too much and get that ONE sale.

Stores do have the power of choice.

As for put out what people will buy? So you have been to every comic book store and know what sales? Because despite the hate squad who will be out in force now-sales vary by store.

Maybe this means when I go to a store I won't see 10-20 copies of unsold X-Men books on the shelf. The books that actually have large piles of unsold books that folks seem to miss seeing at times.

Or just put them in OGN formats. Along with all the Empyre tie ins.

Yes.

Don’t compare me to the anti-diversity CG morons on Twitter. That’s not at all what I’m saying. What I’m saying is the current system allows Marvel to dump the costs on the stores. If they print 60k copies of Spider-Man but only actually sell 40k copies, the stores are the ones who eat the difference. Now Marvel and DC can’t dump that on the stores anymore, which means that a lot of the lesser selling books will probably end up being cancelled. I’m not celebrating that since I like a lot of the books that don’t sell well.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    https://www.newsarama.com/49708-marv...hing-line.html

A bit menacing not to have the specific list.
    Well, damn. I hate being right about the contraction.

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumThorns View Post
    I'm gonna guess it's gonna be mostly one-shots and "smaller" selling books
    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Even though we knew this was coming it is still a sad day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    To the left.

To the left.

All the non-X-Men/Avengers/Spider titles in the box to the left!
    Agreed with all the above. Like I said elsewhere, it's going to mean nothing but the MCU characters getting any books / pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Bleeding Cool suggests it's mainly new launches affected - they suggest that most of the Empyre titles could be affected. Anything related to the Black Widow movie will be delayed because the movie was.
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/comi...ow-taskmaster/
    I can see the new / re-launches getting delayed / cancelled, but not Empyre. They make money off their events, which they need, plus events can get people into stores again.

I need to dig out my Previews and see what was lined up for May and June.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I won't be surprised if some do get cancelled.
    I agree.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Yes, you've made it abundantly clear you DGAF as long as your favorite book comes out immediately.

I'm glad you are rolling in the dough. With 10 million unemployed in the US due to the crisis, and now some Marvel creators joining them, you are very fortunate.
    Not selling any comics period doesn't help anybody. Digital comics is the lifeline that this industry needs right now. I'm sorry that some LCS owners and employees are going to be hurt by a shift to digital but nothing can change that now, the direct market will not survive months of shutdown. It's simply absurd that everyone connected to comics is risking their livelihood to prop up an outdated business model.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Don’t compare me to the anti-diversity CG morons on Twitter. That’s not at all what I’m saying. What I’m saying is the current system allows Marvel to dump the costs on the stores. If they print 60k copies of Spider-Man but only actually sell 40k copies, the stores are the ones who eat the difference. Now Marvel and DC can’t dump that on the stores anymore, which means that a lot of the lesser selling books will probably end up being cancelled. I’m not celebrating that since I like a lot of the books that don’t sell well.
    Marvel waited to drop the news on a Friday evening, cold-blooded.. The thing is when we (hopefully) manage to get things sorted out there is going to be a new normal in the comic industry. I don't think Diamond is coming back, Geppi's message had a "taking this animal to live on a beautiful farm upstate" vibe to it.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Newsarama claims it's 1/3 of the titles. Bleeding Cool claims it's 15-20%. Anyone wanna do the math to get a rough number of how many titles we could be losing?

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

They could always creators to continue making content and stockpile it and once this is over release it as TPBs and then continue with single issues afterwards.

It would avoid a glut of back issues as well as messing up whatever their timeline is; which I assume they spent a long time planning out (especially Hickman & Ewing's stuff).

Not only that creators can continue to work and hype their stuff which would be awesome because imagine in 6 months time picking full arcs already done in TPB format.