Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anybody remember all of those venom miniseries from the 90's?

How many of them have you all collected?

I had a bunch of them. They seemed to range from medicore to outright horrible. I can't recall any of them being really great.

That's not saying they weren't fun sometimes though. I liked Venom's confrontation with Punisher in Funeral Pyre and his transformation in Venom the madness made for a great visual. Then there were other ones like The Mace where you just wondered what the point was. Did anyone ever really like The Mace as a character? Did he ever even appear again after that?

They are so bad. Great meme fodder, though.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

I thought the first 'Lethal Protector' one was okay. Had Bags on art too. Didn't really bother with any of the other ones. I heard they got progressively worse.

They all seem to be available at MDCU.

It seems like Marvel has somehow stumbled into how to successfully promote Venom in a way they didn't in the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by MacrossPlus View Post
    How many of them have you all collected?
    First off, the mini in question are:

• 1991 - Avengers: Death Trap, The Vault - reprinted in 1993 as Venom: Deathtrap - The Vault - by Danny Fingertoh & Ron Lim - one-shot
    • 1993 - Venom: Lethal Protector by David Michelinie & Mark Bagley & Ron Lim - 6 issues
    • 1993 - Venom: Funeral Pyre by Carl Potts & Tom Lyle - 3 issues
    • 93-94 - Venom: The Madness by Ann Nocenti & Kelley Jones - 3 issues
    • 1994 - Venom: Enemy Within by Bruce Jones & Bob McLeod - 3 issues
    • 1994 - Venom: The Mace by Carl Potts & Liam Sharp - 3 issues
    • 1994 - Venom: Nights of Vengeance by Howard Mackie & Ron Lim - 4 issues
    • 94-95 - Venom: Separation Anxiety by Howard Mackie & Ron Randall - 4 issues - leads to Planet of the Symbiotes (1995) by David Michelinie & various - 5 issues
    • 1995 - Venom: Carnage Unleashed by Larry Hama & Andrew Wildman & Art Nichols - 4 issues
    • 1995 - Venom: Sinner Takes All by Larry Hama & Greg Luzniak & Ted Halsted - 5 issues
    • 1996 - Venom: Along Came A Spider by Larry Hama & Joe St. Pierre & Tom Grindberg - 4 issues - contains the origins story of "Hybrid"
    • 1996 - Venom: The Hunted by Larry Hama & Duncan Rouleau - 3 issues
    • 1996 - Venom: The Hunger by Len Kaminski & Ted Halsted - 4 issues - introduces the Venom symbiote's reliance on phenethylamine for survival
    • 96-97 - Venom: Tooth and Claw by Larry Hama & Josh Hood - 3 issues
    • 1997 - Venom: On Trial by Larry Hama & Joe St. Pierre - 3 issues
    • 1997 - Venom: License to Kill by Larry Hama & Derek Aucoin & Josh Hood - 3 issues
    • 1997 - Venom: Seed of Darkness by Len Kaminski & James Fry III - one-shot
    • 1997 - Venom: Sign of the Boss by Ivan Velez, Jr. & Tom Derenick - 2 issues
    • 97-98 - Venom: The Finale by Larry Hama & Mark Pajarillo - 3 issues
    • 03-04 - Venom (2003) by Daniel Way & various - 18 issues
    • 11-13 - Venom (2011): Project Rebirth 2.0 by Rick Remender & Tony Moore, Tom Fowler, Lan Medina - #1-22, 13.1-13.4
    • 11-13 - Venom (2011): Monsters of Evil by Cullen Bunn & Thony Silas - #23-42, 27.1

Those stories have also been collected into 2 massive omnibus:

Venomnibus #1 - VENOM: LETHAL PROTECTOR #1-6, VENOM: FUNERAL PYRE #1-3, DAREDEVIL (1964) #323, IRON MAN (1968) #302, DARKHAWK #35-37, VENOM: THE MADNESS #1-3, VENOM: THE ENEMY WITHIN #1-3, INCREDIBLE HULK VS. VENOM #1, VENOM: THE MACE #1-3, NIGHTWATCH #5-6, VENOM: NIGHTS OF VENGEANCE #1-4, SPIDER-MAN: THE ARACHNIS PROJECT #6, WEB OF SPIDER-MAN (1985) #118-119, SPIDER-MAN (1990) #52-53, VENOM: SEPARATION ANXIETY #1-4, VENOM: CARNAGE UNLEASHED #1-4 and material from SILVER SABLE & THE WILD PACK #18-19, plus Venom subplot pages.

Venomnibus #2 - VENOM: SINNER TAKES ALL #1-5, VENOM: ALONG CAME A SPIDER #1-4, VENOM: THE HUNTED #1-3, VENOM: THE HUNGER #1-4, VENOM: TOOTH AND CLAW #1-3, VENOM: ON TRIAL #1-3, VENOM: LICENSE TO KILL #1-3, VENOM: SEED OF DARKNESS #-1, VENOM: SIGN OF THE BOSS #1-2, SPIDER-MAN: THE VENOM AGENDA, VENOM: THE FINALE #1-3, UNCANNY ORIGINS #7 and material from AMAZING SPIDER-MAN SUPER SPECIAL, SPIDER-MAN SUPER SPECIAL, VENOM SUPER SPECIAL, SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN SUPER SPECIAL, WEB OF SPIDER-MAN SUPER SPECIAL and SPIDER-MAN HOLIDAY SPECIAL 1995.

Venom by Daniel Way Ultimate Collection - Venom (2003) #1-18

Venom By Rick Remender: The Complete Collection Volume 1-2 - Venom (2011) #1-12 + #13, 13.1-13.4, 14-22
    Venom by Cullen Bunn: The Complete Collection - Venom (2011) #23-42 & 27.1

or in smaller collections:

• Venom: Lethal Protector - Venom: Lethal Protector #1-6
    • Venom: The Enemy Within - Venom: Funeral Pyre, Venom: The Madness, Venom: The Enemy Within and Incredible Hulk & Venom #1.
    • Venom: Separation Anxiety - Venom: The Mace, Venom: Nights of Vengeance, Web of Spider-Man #118-119, Spider-Man #52-53 and Venom: Separation Anxiety.
    • Venom: Planet of the Symbiotes - Amazing Spider-Man Super Special, Spider-Man Super Special, Spectacular Spider-Man Super Special, Venom Super Special and Web of Spider-Man Super Special.
    • Carnage Classic - Amazing Spider-Man #361-363, 410 & 430-431, Venom: Carnage Unleashed, Carnage: Mind Bomb, Carnage: It's A Wonderful Life, Sensational Spider-Man #3, Spider-Man #67, Spectacular Spider-Man #233, Peter Parker: Spider-Man #13, Webspinners: Tales of Spider-Man #13-14 and material from Amazing Spider-Man Annual #28.
    • Venom: Carnage Unleashed - Venom: Carnage Unleashed, Venom: Sinner Takes All and material from Amazing Spider-Man Super Special, Spider-Man Super Special, Venom Super Special, Spectacular Spider-Man Super Special and Web of Spider-Man Super Special.
    • Venom: Along Came A Spider.... - Venom: Along Came A Spider #1-4
    • Venom: Tooth and Claw - Venom: Tooth and Claw, Venom: On Trial, Venom: License To Kill, Venom: Seed of Darkness, Venom: Sign of the Boss, Spider-Man: The Venom Agenda and Venom: The Finale.

• Venom vol.1: Shiver - Venom (2003) #1-5
    • Venom vol.2: Run - Venom (2003) #6-13
    • Venom vol.3: Twist - Venom (2003) #14-18

• Venom: Flashpoint - This One-Shot showcases Flash Thompson's first missions as Venom and collects The Amazing Spider-Man #654.1, material from #654 and Venom #1.
    • Venom Vol. 1 - Venom (2011) #1-5
    • Amazing Spider-Man: Spider-Island - Venom (2011) #6-9
    • Venom: Circle of Four - Venom (2011) #10-14, 13.1-13.4
    • Venom: The Savage Six - Venom (2011) #15-22
    • Venom: Devil's Pack - Venom (2011) #23-25, 28-30
    • Carnage: Minimum Carnage - Minimum Carnage: Alpha and Omega, Venom (2011) #26-27 and Scarlet Spider #10-12.
    • Venom: Toxin With A Vengeance! - Venom (2011) #31-35
    • Venom: The Land Where Killers Dwell - Venom (2011) #27.1, 36-42
    Last edited by jb681131; 04-04-2020 at 11:25 AM.

That's quite the list

Actually, wait. All those 90's books are mediocre, but I enjoyed my binge of them way more than I did Daniel Way's run. So that's the real worst. Keep it away from me!

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Lethal Protector, Sinner Takes All, and The Hunger were easily the best. It's a shame that Venom didn't get a proper series with a team to create a firm narrative with a sense of continuity and style, instead of jumping from one group of creators to the next.
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    Lethal Protector, Sinner Takes All, and The Hunger were easily the best. It's a shame that Venom didn't get a proper series with a team to create a firm narrative with a sense of continuity and style, instead of jumping from one group of creators to the next.
    There were so many #1s to be had!

-Pav, who only liked the one with Morbius and Demogoblin...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

I like the story where Eddie Brock is on the run from the police and joins some skater kids and becomes Rad Eddie and there's a symbiote predator called a Xenophage that fights Venom and the skater kids help Eddie save the day and clear his name, it's one of the most 90s things ever.

Sinner Takes All is the greatest title ever conceived for anything ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    I like the story where Eddie Brock is on the run from the police and joins some skater kids and becomes Rad Eddie and there's a symbiote predator called a Xenophage that fights Venom and the skater kids help Eddie save the day and clear his name, it's one of the most 90s things ever.
    I liked that, too.

And when Carnage went digital.

And when he fought Juggernaut.

And the Hulk vs. one-shot is good.

Oh man, I'm starting to appreciate 90's Venom...

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    Agree with you about the continuity (that vital part which was missing would've made a world of difference, IMHO).

Astonishing Member

It´s funny how i liked so much the first Venom stories in Amazing Spider-Man.
    The first four Venom stories in Amazing Spider-Man are all around great stories but i just read Venom Lethal Protector and Avengers: Death Trap when they were published.
    Those Venom Limited series were not re-printed in the Spider-Man comics that i bought in that time.The comic books published in Portugal had a selection of Spider-Man comics published in portuguese but these stories were mostly stories from the main Spider-Man comics as ASM or Spectacular Spider-Man.
    So those Venom limited series would not be available to me to read when they were published.
    I read some Venom stories by (IIRC) Daniel Way that centered more in the symbiote if memory serves me well but those stories were not much fun to read to me.
    It was just with Rick Remender and Donny Cates stories in Venom comic books that made Venom a character i want to read in solo comic books.