Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Wakandan mutants and Krakoa

I know Nehzno is Wakandan and is with Krakoa. I know the Krakoans are going after Latverian mutants but their a rogue state with an infamous and oppressive ruler so such an action is more "acceptable". But if Wakanda had a sizable mutant populaction (with a couple of Omegas), are treated right by T'Challa and they have no problem staying with the country, would the Krakoans still come to claim them and will the Wakandans tolerate it?

T'Challa likes Nezhno and would happily have him in the palace as one of his personal aides. The rest of Wakanda treats Nezhno like an outsider. Most Wakandans don't like mutants. It's part of why they hated having Ororo as their queen. Sure, part of it was that she was not Wakandan, but also because she's a weather witch. (Which was actually established at some point as a mutant lineage)

I would imagine, if Wakanda had a sizable mutant population they would send in Storm and Xavier in to negotiate. Storm is recognized as a god in Wakanda now, her and T'Challa are on beyond good terms right now too, and despite declining trade arrangements Wakanda doesn't appear to be hostile towards Krakoa; I see no reason they wouldn't be able to reach an agreement on allowing willing mutants passage to Wakanda.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Krakoans could possibly make an attempt at recruitment but I doubt they would take the same approach they did with nations like Latveria and Brazil, where their mutants are clearly being persecuted. I’m interested in where the relationship between the two advanced countries will go but for now they seem to be on friendly terms.

Astonishing Member

Whether or not Wakanda has a cultural problem with mutants is hard to say. Nezhno once said that the X-gene is known and accepted in Wakanda but outsiders are not. He got **** on account of having a problematic mutation that came from a non-Wakandan father, which only magnified his “otherness”. He even says that his mutation would be forgiven if he was full Wakandan. But in X-Men Red his mom calls him straight up non-human so who knows. He’s a special case.

In the Shuri book there was a Wakandan mutant that seemed well adjusted. He was socially awkward due to his fascination with tech but that seems like part of his mutation which let him control computer systems or something.

He had a job, friends, and hobbies. When one of the Wakandan ancestors from thousands of years ago said Shuri shouldn’t trust a mutant she responds by saying times have changed. So the offices may not even be on the same page about Wakandan attitudes.

I think when Hickman eventually gets on the subject he’ll reveal that by and large Wakanda is more enlightened than the West on mutant rights but there’s still a minority of traditionalists that dislike them.

If that were the case most Wakandan mutants probably wouldn’t go to Krakoa and if they do it wouldn’t surprise me if they were spies. I find it hard to believe that when his ambassador from Davos tells him about Krakoa’s endgame T’Challa wouldn't want to get more info.
    Last edited by chief12d; 04-03-2020 at 10:26 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    In the Shuri book there was a Wakandan mutant that seemed well adjusted. He was socially awkward due to his fascination with tech but that seems like part of his mutation which let him control computer systems or something.

He had a job, friends, and hobbies. When one of the Wakandan ancestors from thousands of years ago said Shuri shouldn’t trust a mutant she responds by saying times have changed. So the offices may not even be on the same page about Wakandan attitude.
    His name is Muti. ‪‪I think it's worth mentioning that while he had a job and friends and hobbies, none of them knew he was a Mutant, this was a fact he kept hidden and as of his most recent appearance only Shuri and Storm were aware of his Mutant status.

Wakanda doesn't have a problem with mutants. The didn't like Xmen after AvX, but they don't generally care.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ISnowNothin View Post
    His name is Muti. ‪‪I think it's worth mentioning that while he had a job and friends and hobbies, none of them knew he was a Mutant, this was a fact he kept hidden and as of his most recent appearance only Shuri and Storm were aware of his Mutant status.
    I took that to mean he kept his cards close to his chest, not that he was necessarily afraid of having his mutant status discovered. While he was able of form relationships he didn’t reveal important features about himself like his tendency to create fake identities iirc.
    Last edited by chief12d; 04-03-2020 at 11:05 PM.

Wakanda has no issue with Mutants. I don't think its only because they're so enlighten. But when Vibranium first struck Wakanda , the powerful Radiation was effecting wild life and human turning them into empowered monstrosity (Demons or Beast via legend ) and with that Wakanda had to battle and wipe them out. Then afterwards closed access to the Vibranium, there for creating the great mound and protecting not only from themselves but outsiders.its said most of Wakanda empowered come from bloodline who were once effect by this. So through that and their response and handling of the situation is why I believe they were able to not only handle but detect the mutant Gene when it must have first appeared in Wakanda. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those early Mutant weren't just mistaken for those Wakandian Vibranium Meta's
    Last edited by BlkGldBlu; 04-04-2020 at 09:43 AM.

There's not much in Wakanda Meta's.
    I wish more writer explored this in Black Panther.
    But for example think of Klaw or N' Kano to me perfect example of what the effects of Vibranium can do.

Fantastic Member

It would be nice to splinter mutant group away from Krakoa. It’s only natural that there will factions that would prefer to be independent of the quiet council and their stance. It’s only a matter of time before someone question is Krakoa truly the only path forward or give another shot at Xavier’s original dream of peaceful coexistence. There is a lot of grey areas that could be explored properly with the write writer and art team.

Are we ignoring the fact that the Wakanda mutant was called "Muti"?

Quote Originally Posted by Askani5 View Post
    It would be nice to splinter mutant group away from Krakoa. It’s only natural that there will factions that would prefer to be independent of the quiet council and their stance. It’s only a matter of time before someone question is Krakoa truly the only path forward or give another shot at Xavier’s original dream of peaceful coexistence. There is a lot of grey areas that could be explored properly with the write writer and art team.
    after having 16 million of your people curbstomped by skyscraper Sentinels, then poisoned by some crazy cloud what stance would be enough for them to want to go back into that world so soon. not a lotta dreams are worth dying for...esp if its not your own. What about their current status is "betraying the dream" anyway? KraKoa is chill with everyone atm
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Are we ignoring the fact that the Wakanda mutant was called "Muti"?
    The writer probably wasn't a big comic fan as she comes from a novel background. He calls himself "mutie" as his messenger handle. The writer probably never saw that Kitty Pride panel. Lol.

Spectacular Member

He calls himself "Muti," and there's literally nothing to suggest or indicate that the author is at all ignorant of the word's in universe meaning (that doesn't even make sense, why would they choose the name and mention its double meaning if they weren't aware of its significance).

It's a double entendre referring to South African traditional medicine and his being Mutant. ‪‪I imagine it's a matter of reappropriating and reclaiming the slur, as is quite common in real life.
    Muti.jpg