Page 1 of 57 123451151 ... LastLast

Default The Black Knight Rides Again: An Appreciation

I thought it was high time the Black Knight got his own thread!

Dane Whitman made his debut in Avengers #47 way back in 1967. He took over the name from his evil uncle, Nathan Garrett, who had been a foe for Iron Man...
    bk origins 4.jpg
    bk origins 5.jpg
    bk origins 6.JPG

He and the Avengers got off on the wrong foot, as they thought he was his uncle. But eventually he was offered membership, though he began as a reserve member.

I think he's one of the most under-appreciated characters in the Marvel Universe. Sometimes he's a bit of a dork (especially in his dealings with women!), but he's also intelligent, brave, and dependable. I think the writers haven't always known what to do with him.

I'm glad he's been a part of Avengers World recently. He's been so neglected for so long- last time he was in a regular book was Captain Britain and MI-13 six years ago!

Here's a good place to start for Black Knight's history! http://www.supermegamonkey.net/cgi-b...te=chronocomic

FINALLY. I was going to go to the British thread, because I had a Dane question, but saw you had decided to make this one so I've been waiting (im)patiently All. Day.

Quote Originally Posted by MollyBarton View Post
    I think he's one of the most under-appreciated characters in the Marvel Universe. Sometimes he's a bit of a dork (especially in his dealings with women!), but he's also intelligent, brave, and dependable. I think the writers haven't always known what to do with him.
    The dorkiness is the best part of Dane. It's the quality that first made me like the character. That, and how utterly terrible he is with women, even though he is so so attractive.

I'd agree that writers seem to have a hard time with Dane. Which is weird, since he's got a built in world to play with in his connections to Avalon and Arthurian Camelot. That's an entire mythos that has gone largely unexplored by Marvel, though. Outside some of the earlier Captain Britain stories it's rarely touched on, and when it is, it typically doesn't go much deeper than Merlin and/or Morgan.

Oh! My question. I haven't been reading Avengers World, but picked up #8, because Dane was in it, but haven't picked up any since because it seemed that the storyline had been dropped in favor of others. Is this the case, or have Dane and company been appearing alongside the other stories?

Quivering Euphoric Blob CaTigeReptile's Avatar

I haven't read nearly enough with the Black Knight in it, but I absolutely love him to bits.

I like to think that every time he comes back from England, he brings a lot of tea with him.

And then dumps it in Boston Harbor.

Because he's from GLAW-ster.

WHABAM Dane exploding from a box, complete with awkward dorky line.

Yes, Dane is a dork and that's why we love him.
    2608102-p78.jpg

Had to post this one for the innuendo:
    tumblr_mbql27oaxd1qlwb72o1_400.jpg

And an example of Dane being clueless with women:
    triangle 1.JPG

Also, he has a butt to rival Starfox's:
    dane butt.JPG

Oh! My question. I haven't been reading Avengers World, but picked up #8, because Dane was in it, but haven't picked up any since because it seemed that the storyline had been dropped in favor of others. Is this the case, or have Dane and company been appearing alongside the other stories?
    Dane is part of Euroforce in Avengers World, and they are going to be more involved starting with #12. Here's an unlettered preview, where Dane is being recruited:

AWORLD 12 part 2.jpg
    Last edited by MollyBarton; 08-11-2014 at 06:47 PM.

Dane is one of my favorite Avengers and I really wish that he would get more play. Hope that he gets some significant panel time in Avengers World as part of Euroforce.

Quivering Euphoric Blob CaTigeReptile's Avatar

You know I could actually see his origin story making a good movie. It would be a new feel for a Marvel movie, going all medieval, but at the center is the story of a physics dork whose entire sense of reality is being turned upside-down and he's just going "Eccentric uncle left me a castle? What? Knightly quest? What? My uncle was a villain? Huh? Ebon curse? What's that? What's going on?" and by the time Aragorn trots over he's just like "what is my life????"

Though I could be getting his origin story wrong. Still . . .

Yes, Dane is a dork and that's why we love him.
    I've always been a fan of this image:

282882-184182-black-knight.jpg

Like, "I didn't have time to put on my costume, but I put on the gloves and helmet, so it's TOTALLY FINE.

Dane is part of Euroforce in Avengers World, and they are going to be more involved starting with #12.
    Perfect. I knew the story was coming back at some point, but wasn't sure if they were secretly appearing in the intervening issues as well. I'd hate to miss out just because I didn't want to read about Sunspot and Cannonballs wacky adventures.

edit: I attached an image and it worked! I'm so good at science.

Astonishing Member

Had to post this one for the innuendo:
    tumblr_mbql27oaxd1qlwb72o1_400.jpg
    LOL! I have always loved that one! That must have been intentional on the writer's part.

Its a shame that the Dane/Rita connection that happened here never got followed up on at all.

man I wish they would put him in more books, he had such a small cameo in original sins series

He actually had an appreciation page on the old boards, but it was only several pages long.

Anyway I love Dane. I wish he'd get more exposure. I honestly think at this point what's holding him back is creators still sticking him with the Ebony Curse thing and the actual medieval armor and look. I don't think that flies quite as well with today's audience. Cornell did him best in MI13 where he had a casual look and incorporated his tech into his equipment. Dane is a man of many talents. He's a skilled leader, tactician, with some magic knowledge and experience, arguably the most skilled swordsman in the Marvel U., and what people most often forget....he's a pretty brilliant scientist in his own right. He's made exoskeletons, psi shields a photonic sword, photonic shield, altered a horses genetics to give it wings. etc.etc.

I think he would work immensely better if creators veered away from the magic side for a time and focused on his technical side. Give him some advance armor that is reminiscent of a medieval knights' armor without actually being one. A suit similar to the Black knight in Iron Man armored adventures but a bit less powered.

BK1.jpgBK2.jpgBK3.jpg

I agree the Ebony Curse has been done to death. There's only so much that can be done with it. He's already been turned into a metal statue by the blood curse, and his squire became Bloodwraith after grabbing the blade. And Original Sins wasn't the first time he went a little mad, either.

Back to old school Dane- Defenders #4. He gets turned into a stone statue by Amora the Enchantress...
    DEF4_StoneKnight.JPG

And his spirit is sent back into the body of his ancestor, Sir Eobar Garrington, and he fought in the Crusades.

A225_BlackKnight.jpg

Despite his stone body's destruction, he is sent back to the present.

A226_Home.jpg

More to come! His first bout with madness seen in Doctor Strange, his Avalon adventures with Captain Britain, his return to the Avengers. God, there is so much good stuff to work with.

I agree the Ebony Curse has been done to death. There's only so much that can be done with it. He's already been turned into a metal statue by the blood curse, and his squire became Bloodwraith after grabbing the blade. And Original Sins wasn't the first time he went a little mad, either.
    I agree, but the Ebony Blade is what defines him. The Sword of Light and the Shield of Night didn't last long. The energy sword lasted a long time but wouldn't work now. As far as him being a dork, give him some credit. After all, he spent a long time with Sersi!

Quote Originally Posted by mrjinjin View Post
    I agree, but the Ebony Blade is what defines him. The Sword of Light and the Shield of Night didn't last long. The energy sword lasted a long time but wouldn't work now. As far as him being a dork, give him some credit. After all, he spent a long time with Sersi!
    Yes. I like Dane's tech side as well, but the blade is the reason he is the Black Knight. While I agree with others that the curse has overstayed it's welcome, the blade is still really cool. It's got a lot of properties that often get overlooked to focus on "craves blood". It can cut through anything (except adamantium), deflect magic and absorb energy. Doesn't it also keep Dane from dying while he's carrying it? I feel like it did at one point. There's also the fact that it's made out of a weird metal that no one has ever adequately explained besides "meteor". Where did that come from, and is there any more of it out there?

I'm not saying his inner science geek should be ignored, because I think he's ultimately at his best when he mixes the mystical with the technological, but the ebony blade still holds story potential for him.

Where did that come from, and is there any more of it out there?
    The Ebony Dagger was made from the same metal, same meteor. The only weapon that could damage the Blade. No idea if it's still out there...

Oh, I think Dane should keep the blade. But it's time to put the curse to rest.

Speaking of the energy sword- here's a repost of Dane's nearly naked workout with said sword!
    90s knight 1.jpg

And another from that issue- Dane has an attitude problem.
    90s knight 2.jpg

And a third- Sersi doesn't seem to mind.
    90s knight 4.jpg