Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by madrox83 View Post
    I actually wish they would just go ahead and put Tieri on a Black Knight title. It feels like they call him in to do a mini of story like Original Sins 2 and then nothing. Give the guy a series already. And the more Dane the better
    That would be great. Tieri is doing Sabertooth for Axis and for another company a Red Sonja mini. At the least, I wish they gave him a Black Knight mini to persue his Ebony Blade addiction story.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjinjin View Post
    I agree, but the Ebony Blade is what defines him. The Sword of Light and the Shield of Night didn't last long. The energy sword lasted a long time but wouldn't work now. As far as him being a dork, give him some credit. After all, he spent a long time with Sersi!
    Agreed but that doesn't mean it has to have the Blood Curse. Just get rid of it already for real this time. They did in the past, but they keep bringing it back. The Ebony Blade is one of those "big time" weapons that is always overlooked and doesn't get much love. No reason to keep giving it a handicap. The Ebony Blade should be as popular and respected as Mjolnir and Cap's shield. And should they decide to keep the Blood Curse I don't see why Dane wouldn't make a tech attachment to the handle. It would basically surround the blade in photonic energy and do stun damage like his photonic sword, but the field would also keep the blade from making actual contact (or the field can simply displace the blade putting it slighty out of sync with this dimension and in effect be kinda of "phased" out). In this way he has both blades he's famous for as one and it could actually look kinda cool to have a black blade with crackling purple energy surrounding it. He could actually use the sword the way it's meant to be used, without actually killing anyone. And finally, he could simply switch the field on and off depending on if he needs immediate cutting power or to absorb magic or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjinjin View Post
    That would be great. Tieri is doing Sabertooth for Axis and for another company a Red Sonja mini. At the least, I wish they gave him a Black Knight mini to persue his Ebony Blade addiction story.
    I wish they hadn't just left the story with Dane curled up with the Blade, obviously in distress. Maybe they'll touch on what happened next in Avengers World, because he seemed to be somewhat okay there.

Quote Originally Posted by R0NIN View Post
    Agreed but that doesn't mean it has to have the Blood Curse. Just get rid of it already for real this time. They did in the past, but they keep bringing it back. The Ebony Blade is one of those "big time" weapons that is always overlooked and doesn't get much love. No reason to keep giving it a handicap. The Ebony Blade should be as popular and respected as Mjolnir and Cap's shield. And should they decide to keep the Blood Curse I don't see why Dane wouldn't make a tech attachment to the handle. It would basically surround the blade in photonic energy and do stun damage like his photonic sword, but the field would also keep the blade from making actual contact (or the field can simply displace the blade putting it slighty out of sync with this dimension and in effect be kinda of "phased" out). In this way he has both blades he's famous for as one and it could actually look kinda cool to have a black blade with crackling purple energy surrounding it. He could actually use the sword the way it's meant to be used, without actually killing anyone. And finally, he could simply switch the field on and off depending on if he needs immediate cutting power or to absorb magic or whatever.
    This is exactly what Dane should be: a little bit magic, a little bit tech. Someone who solves magical problems with scientific solutions. Sadly, I would be surprised if many writers even remember that he is a scientist in his own right.

And agreed on the ebony blade, it should be among the most respected weapons in the Marvel Universe. At the very least it should be up there with Magik's soulsword.

Quote Originally Posted by R0NIN View Post
    Your idea is awesome and might have happened if MI:13 did not get cancelled. Paul C. seemed to see BK more that way then other writer. The Ebony Blade should be among the most powerful weapons in the Marvel U. but for some reason it is always overlooked.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by baltiroo View Post
    Dane is one of my favorite Avengers and I really wish that he would get more play. Hope that he gets some significant panel time in Avengers World as part of Euroforce.
    This would be magnificent

Has anyone ever read The Last Avengers Story, a two parter from 1995 written by Peter David? It's an interesting alternate future. And, alas, Dane seems to be dead in this future. But also, he seems to have gotten busy while still alive- this guy shows up:
    son of bk.JPG

Don't know if he's actually Dane's kid, and there's no mention of his mother. Maybe Sersi? Yikes.

Comic Vine's entry for "Hotshot" says he is the son of Dane and Sersi, but there's no evidence in the comic. Pure conjecture.

Also- I found this shirt on Amazon and had to get it:

bk on a shirt.jpg
    Last edited by MollyBarton; 08-19-2014 at 08:21 PM.

Just so this thread doesn't quickly die: What's your favorite era of Black Knight? Avengers in 60s, 80s, 90s...Ultraverse, New Excalibur, MI-13?

Personally, I liked Dane in MI-13. He really seemed to be at home.

Bonus- poor Dane shouldn't have agreed to the ice bucket challenge.
    bucket.jpg

ETA- I just realized I spelled challenge wrong. I'll have to edit the picture later. Ugh.
    Last edited by MollyBarton; 08-23-2014 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MollyBarton View Post
    Just so this thread doesn't quickly die: What's your favorite era of Black Knight? Avengers in 60s, 80s, 90s...Ultraverse, New Excalibur, MI-13?
    Harras Avengers. I liked the progression in the character to get to that point, and feel he's only regressed since then.

Quivering Euphoric Blob CaTigeReptile's Avatar

bucket.jpg

ETA- I just realized I spelled challenge wrong. I'll have to edit the picture later. Ugh.
    Oh god that's the best thing ever. Daaaane

To be honest I actually haven't read all that much with him in it. Odd since I seem to have developed such a strong affection for him. I did immediately upon seeing him for the first time though. There's something endearing about the character.

I have decided that his specialty is the physics of protein folding, though, because it's the only thing that even comes close to making his ridiculously wide range of scientific expertise make sense.

bucket.jpg
    is that you Kira's Mom?

anyway, my favorite Black Knight era is the 90s bomber jacket. though, as much as i like Dane i never could get into the Ultraverse stuff...even for him.

I thought it was high time the Black Knight got his own thread!

Dane Whitman made his debut in Avengers #47 way back in 1967. He took over the name from his evil uncle, Nathan Garrett, who had been a foe for Iron Man...
    Attachment 7769
    Attachment 7770
    Attachment 7771

He and the Avengers got off on the wrong foot, as they thought he was his uncle. But eventually he was offered membership, though he began as a reserve member.

I think he's one of the most under-appreciated characters in the Marvel Universe. Sometimes he's a bit of a dork (especially in his dealings with women!), but he's also intelligent, brave, and dependable. I think the writers haven't always known what to do with him.

I'm glad he's been a part of Avengers World recently. He's been so neglected for so long- last time he was in a regular book was Captain Britain and MI-13 six years ago!

Here's a good place to start for Black Knight's history! http://www.supermegamonkey.net/cgi-b...te=chronocomic
    Just joining this thread. I like this character a lot, I remember that story beginning him. I've always liked his adventures with Dr Strange and think that those were amongst his best moments, but I liked the arc in Avengers when he was involved with both Sersi and Crystal. That was a great time for the Avengers as well; Procter, Masters/Evil's so brutal invasion of the Avengers's mansion.

He's a great character that needs more exposure.

Bomber Jacket era was the best.

The 90's Harras Dane was my introduction to him, so that era holds a special place in my heart, and I would agree with Joe that the character has only ever gone backward from there. The Stern era is a close second to that. Dane didn't always get a huge role, but the stories were so good that even a small role was fantastic.

Astonishing Member

My favourite periods for Dane were the Stern era (which is where I first encountered him) and the Harras era...although Harras took him in a very different direction, between the switch in weapon, changes to the outfit, increase in confidence, etc. But it all felt (at least to me) like a plausible evolution from his experience where he got turned to a statue by the curse--it wasn't just a case of a new writer getting the character wrong.

I'm also fond of the H4H period and the MI13 stuff...but his two stints as an active Avenger are my favourite Black Knight periods.