Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

read Dragonring vol 1. issues 1-4 pretty good. i read some issues of vol 2 when i was a kid in the 80's and really enjoyed. i just love those old Aircel comics.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Currently re-reading Groo from PC on up; presently at Epic#62-- really remarkable for a number of reasons, not least of which is Sergio's ability to draw casts of hundreds nearly every issue, nor least of which is The Aragones/Evanier team's ability to entertain, and provoke at least a smirk, if not outright prolonged laughter, nearly every issue, and work incredible variety into what seems like a one-note story, including an issue in which the lead character doesn't appear and yet has his presence felt directly and throughout the story.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Edge 1-7 a B&W indy comic starting in 89 issues 1 & 2 published by Silverwolf and drawn by Gary Shipman who now draws a comic called Titan Mouse and the rest by a guy name Brian Riedel published by Greater Mercury Comics. pretty good vigilante comics of the era. first 4 issues of vol 2 has a surprising amount of character development for the type of comic it is.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Still re-reading Groo; up to Epic #96, just in advance of Groo's first conflict with 'the gods'. Also, re-reading Threat #1-4, a B&W magazine from Fantagraphics, 1986: four continuing stories of eclectic art and characters, at least one of which, Zone, gets his own title (for a issue or two, IIRC) to finish the story. Pleasurable, and glad I got'm way back then!

NBto BigLbo: if you like Shipman's work, look into Pakkins Land, too. Beautifully drawn, nicely told story that does finally veer too much into 'Christian values' p.r. for me. I did get a lot of the Aircel comics at the time, but the 'little naked boys' artwork became unpleasant for me and I stopped getting the titles.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Still re-reading Groo; up to Epic #96, just in advance of Groo's first conflict with 'the gods'. Also, re-reading Threat #1-4, a B&W magazine from Fantagraphics, 1986: four continuing stories of eclectic art and characters, at least one of which, Zone, gets his own title (for a issue or two, IIRC) to finish the story. Pleasurable, and glad I got'm way back then!

BigLbo: if you like Shipman's work, look into Pakkins Land, too. Beautifully drawn, nicely told story that does finally veer too much into 'Christian values' p.r. for me.
    thanks i'm going to look into it now.

I did get a lot of the Aircel comics at the time, but the 'little naked boys' artwork became unpleasant for me and I stopped getting the titles.
    i know what you mean, there's certain panels where it's like WTF. honestly the little jungle dudes are dressed no different than Mowgli in Jungle Book but certain poses are questionable as hell. a lot of good series from Aircel have none of that though, and when Keown gets on Dragonring it not really an issue.

you ever read Gun Fury??