Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I've been rereading Valerian and Laureline in spurts. Volume 19 currently.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    I know, right?! Never thought anything from Shooter would be considered obscure.
    This one qualifies.

I was in the mood for some old Tony S. Daniel Image reading, so I dug out F5 and read that.

After viewing that atrocious movie, I began reading Bloodshot (2012).

I also began reading Coffin Comics' Lady Death, my first time ever reading her books.

image Ascender, Birthright, Deadly Class, Die, Lazarus, Monstress, Nocterra, Oblivion Song, Rat Queens, Realm, Reaver, Redneck, Sweet Paprika Marvel Excalibur, Marauders, X-Force, X-Men DC Batman/Catwoman, Wonder Girl Dynamite Red Sonja, Vengeance of Vampirella Boom Dark Blood, Once & Future, Something is Killing the Children

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I completed rereading the incredible DEMO by Brian Wood and Becky Cloonan, a twelve issue series, and a six-issue follow up series from Vertigo, in which done-in-one stories feature aspects of ordinary teens who luck...or unluck...into a mutant power. Currently re-enjoying Power Girl, by Palmiotti, Gray, and Conner, a really clever, sumptuously illustrated light-hearted take on super-doing, including a wicked homage to Zardoz, and Jonah Hex, by Palmiotti, Gray, and at the outset, Luke Ross, a beautifully drawn hard and harsh western.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

read the first 2 issues of The Maximortal by Rick Veitch, pretty interesting and funny, especially the 2nd issue.

Oh, yes, Veitch's "super-hero" titles are INCREDIBLE!
    Hope you've read or plan to read Brat Pack, as well as Maximortal.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    i hope to. i was lucky to find maximortal 1,2 & 5 in the bargain bins.

I've been re-reading Nexus, and holy cow I forgot how great this series was!

Oh yes! I should add Nexus into my next-to-read list. Glad yer enjoying it!
    Currently I'm reading The Dreamery, Tales from the Bog, and the incredible Reid Fleming, along with working through Ex Machina, which is a lot slower than I'd remembered.

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Yes to this. Brat Pack was extraordinary. Although it was obviously a parody, the closeness of many of the characters to the source material was uncomfortably close. And now I need to find Maximortal.

I've been focusing on reading material from a handful of creators-Matt Baker, Frank Frazetta, Alex Toth, Joe Kubert and Wally Wood. I found a couple of anthologies that feature 50s era reprints form these and other creators, as well as anthologies of original material from these creators published in the wild and wooly 80s. Plus a few collected editions featuring their work.

From Frazetta, I read the entire run of his Johnny Comet and Ace McCoy comic strips, both dailies and Sundays, plus anthology materials.

I read Dragon's Teeth #1, a magazine anthology from '83 which features Toth's OoLaLa as well as other original material. I also read Buried Treasure #1, a reprint anthology packaged by Greg Theakston in '86 that featured work by Toth (Crushed Gardenias), Frazetta, Wood, Meskin, Kubert all under a Kirby cover. I read the first issue of Seduction of the Innocent #1, reprinting pre-code horror tales, including a Toth story, and son of Sinbad #1, a one-shot published by St. John's in 1950 featuring a few Kubert adventure stories. I also recently read through both the '75 and '08 Tor series he did, and the mid-70s Ragman book Kubert contributed to. Fro Baker stuff, I have read the Classics Illustrated adaptation of Lorna Doone he did, plus his adaptation of Richard the Lion-Heart and the Crusaders he did in Dell's Four Color series.

Aside from those, I have been making my way through the Fantagraphics era Usagi Yojimbo material, and Mark Evanier's DNAgents universe material. I am about halfway through the first DNAgents series and a third of the way through Crossfire, plus read the four issue Surge series.

Up next, I have on deck Bravo for Adventure, the Creepy Present Alex Toth volume and Setting the Standard, a collection of material published by Standard for Toth, as well as a couple of the movie adaptations he did in Four Color for Dell in the 50s, a collection of the Canteen Kate material Matt Baker did plus I am waiting for the new edition of Rhymes with Lust by PS artbooks to arrive at my LCS, I have a collection of Frazetta's White Indian back-ups in my TBR pile, for Wood I have Heroes Inc. Presents Cannon #1, the Cannon hardcover, Shattuck and a collection called Come the Dawn and other tales. For Kubert, I have a small stack of the issues of Boy Comics from the fifties that he did the lead Cimebuster feature (with Charles Biro scripts) to get to.

So I have cast a wide and varied net for back issues, much of which is form the 50s, but some of the material is of more recent vintage.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    I've been re-reading Nexus, and holy cow I forgot how great this series was!
    I forgot about Nexus! Some great aesthetics.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 10-11-2020 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I forgot about Nexus! Some great aesthetics.
    Agreed. The artwork of Steve Rude is a sight to behold...

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Agreed. The artwork of Steve Rude is a sight to behold...

Absolutely gorgeous.

Still working my way through Ex Machina (Brian K. Vaughn, Tony Harris) and beginning again Leave it to Chance (James Robinson, Paul Smith)