Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

I think when I get finished with my Nexus read through I’ll do a full on read through of Dark Horse’s “Comics Greatest a World” from the 90s. I loved those books.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Yes to this. Brat Pack was extraordinary. Although it was obviously a parody, the closeness of many of the characters to the source material was uncomfortably close. And now I need to find Maximortal.
    found #6 for 25cents. still need 3,4 & 7

Just started reading the Protectors, from Malibu. Holy cow is this surprsingly good. I always love attempts to reclaim those public domain characters from the Golden Age, but usually they're not very well done. This, however, is really freaking enjoyable: shades of DC's Kingdom Come and Marvel's Civil War years before either of those series. Definitely a gem I never thought to read before.

Also recently read: Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer (good, with some amazing artwork) and both the recent Fighting American minis by Titan Comics. The Fighting American series were awesome, and they need to do another. They really nailed what Simon & Kirby were attempting with the character way back when, and it has a genuine feel of an authentic continuation of those old stores with a modern storytelling sensibility. Very, very good.

Astonishing Member

Phantom Starkiller One Shot from Black Caravan

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Just started reading the Protectors, from Malibu. Holy cow is this surprsingly good. I always love attempts to reclaim those public domain characters from the Golden Age, but usually they're not very well done. This, however, is really freaking enjoyable: shades of DC's Kingdom Come and Marvel's Civil War years before either of those series. Definitely a gem I never thought to read before.

Also recently read: Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer (good, with some amazing artwork) and both the recent Fighting American minis by Titan Comics. The Fighting American series were awesome, and they need to do another. They really nailed what Simon & Kirby were attempting with the character way back when, and it has a genuine feel of an authentic continuation of those old stores with a modern storytelling sensibility. Very, very good.
    was it the image or verotik death dealer??

i loved fighting american: ties that bind, still need a couple of issues from the 1st titan comics series though.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I recently reread the seven issues of Dark Horse's Triple X ["XXX"], which I'd forgotten so entirely that all I knew was I'd held onto it twenty-five years or more because it's written and drawn by the Pander Brothers. It's a story of a future, corrupt government controlled by an ultra-rich entrepreneur, and an attempt by a revolutionary cell to bring him down via a newspaper, "XXX". It was almost aggravatingly relevant, viscerally drawn and well written. Currently perusing selectively retained "Marvel Super-heroes featuring the Incredible Hulk," and beginning the pirate story "El Cazador" from CrossGen 2003.

Best surprise in the past couple of weeks: re-discovering the 24-page Dark Horse 20 Years 'anthology' of full-page illustrations by artists riffing on each other's characters; Stan Sakai draws a Sin City pin-up and Frank Miller draws one of Usagi Yojimbo, and Mike Mignola does a cover featuring every DH character to date.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

I am reading lucifer, hellblazer, preacher and teenage mutant ninja turtles.

Astonishing Member

I've beem reading the original Valiant comics. I just finished the Unity crossover and while I found it boring and pointless, everything that came before Unity was an amazing and highly entertaining read. The only post Unity comic I've had a chance to read was Rai#0 and that got me excited for what's coming up next.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    was it the image or verotik death dealer??

i loved fighting american: ties that bind, still need a couple of issues from the 1st titan comics series though.
    The Image one (the one by Nat Jones). Really well done sword and sorcery stuff.

Fighting American was amazing (both series). They really need to do another one to keep it going. I'd read good reviews of it, but was surprised by how it lived up to the hype. Definitely a sleeper hit.

oh wow, very cool good stuff, hcongjasmine. Lucifer, Hellblazer, and Preacher make a mighty powerful blend and Turtles for ccomic relief?
    shoeshoemanjoe, I was a big archer and armstrong fan, and liked other Valiants as well. I absolutely agree about Unity, and was plenty pissed off at them for doing the crossover-event thing.
    guess I should take a look at Fighting American, too.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Just started Sara by Ennis, Epting and Breitweiser (TKO Studios). Been wanting to read this for awhile. Just finished A Lapse in Judgment from Europe Comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    The Image one (the one by Nat Jones). Really well done sword and sorcery stuff.

Fighting American was amazing (both series). They really need to do another one to keep it going. I'd read good reviews of it, but was surprised by how it lived up to the hype. Definitely a sleeper hit.
    i've never read any of those, i do like Nat Jones work on The Nail though.

currently finishing up on TMNT 1-10 with the 1 shot solo books. such fun stuff.

Been slowly working my way through Comico's Jonny Quest and the Roy Thomas/Barry Smith/John Buscema era of Conan (read CTB 1-100 over the past couple of months, about to dive into the SSOC issues next).

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Ahhh, Jonny Quest is sooo good, has some really terrific stories.
    Me, I'm working my way through Powers for the first time since it first published, and enjoying it as well. But--
    Rereading Ellis' & Templesmith's Fell is definitely the highlight (holding myself to one issue per day to make it last!). One of comics' great tragedies that it had so short a run.

read issues 1 & 2 of 3 of Children of Fire by Richard Corben. beautiful stuff and fukn hilarious at times. must have that 3rd issue now.