Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

issues 1-3 of 1963 by Alan Moore from Image comics. pretty cool homage to old marvel books, probably more enjoyable for somebody who's read all that old marvel stuff. still good reads.

I've been re-reading the Mirage TMNT stuff over the last 6 months.

I've read all of Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Tales of the TMNT Vol. 1 & 2, and the Image run (Vol. 3).

What I have kinda discovered is... after the first 21 issues of Volume 1 and then issues 48-62 (The Shade of Gray 2 part story backed with City At War) there's not much good here. I do enjoy Tales Vol. 1 pretty good and the beginning of Tales Vol 2 (the first dozen or so issues) but the Image run is goofy! Vol. 2 is so short and just not that great.

So, if anyone wants to discover or rediscover the original TMNT, I would recommend Mirage Vol. 1 (1-21, 48-62), Tales Vol. 1 and Vol. 2. The rest is for completists as the "Guest Era" from Vol. 1 isn't that great. And after Eastman officially left with issue 62, it was just never the same!

EDITED TO ADD: Also... Vol. 5, the IDW run is amazing stuff for the first 100 issues or so. And there are some great mini-series there as well.
    Last edited by Comics N' Toons; 01-23-2021 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    issues 1-3 of 1963 by Alan Moore from Image comics. pretty cool homage to old marvel books, probably more enjoyable for somebody who's read all that old marvel stuff. still good reads.
    Agreed. Enjoyable sense of humor (IMHO):

Also, I highly recommend getting the last three issues of 1963 (#4, #5, #6):

Quote Originally Posted by Comics N' Toons View Post
    I've been re-reading the Mirage TMNT stuff over the last 6 months.

I've read all of Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Tales of the TMNT Vol. 1 & 2, and the Image run (Vol. 3).

What I have kinda discovered is... after the first 21 issues of Volume 1 and then issues 48-62 (The Shade of Gray 2 part story backed with City At War) there's not much good here. I do enjoy Tales Vol. 1 pretty good and the beginning of Tales Vol 2 (the first dozen or so issues) but the Image run is goofy! Vol. 2 is so short and just not that great.

So, if anyone wants to discover or rediscover the original TMNT, I would recommend Mirage Vol. 1 (1-21, 48-62), Tales Vol. 1 and Vol. 2. The rest is for completists as the "Guest Era" from Vol. 1 isn't that great. And after Eastman officially left with issue 62, it was just never the same!

EDITED TO ADD: Also... Vol. 5, the IDW run is amazing stuff for the first 100 issues or so. And there are some great mini-series there as well.
    i rather enjoyed the Michael Zulli issues and am trying to get a hold of the Richard Corben issue.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Agreed. Enjoyable sense of humor (IMHO):

Also, I highly recommend getting the last three issues of 1963 (#4, #5, #6):

i have issues 5 & 6 but was going to wait until i found 4 before reading but i'm pretty sure now they don't need to be read in order.

Astonishing Member

I finished reading Valiant comic's VH1 universe. There's a lot of entertaining arcs and a lot of stinkers. But overall it was a bit disappointment because it's not the super hero action adventure I was expecting it to be.

found issue 4 of 1963 for 25cents, got the whole set now.

found issue 4 of 1963 for 25cents, got the whole set now.
    Awesome! Looking forward to reading what you thought about the entire series.

i rather enjoyed the Michael Zulli issues and am trying to get a hold of the Richard Corben issue.

i have issues 5 & 6 but was going to wait until i found 4 before reading but i'm pretty sure now they don't need to be read in order.

Sadly it's unfinished, Moore had wanted to do a 1963 100-Page Annual which would have been a crossover between his characters, Rob Liefeld's characters, and possibly Jim Lee's characters but it never came together even when he was working for Liefeld and Lee on various titles for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    Sadly it's unfinished, Moore had wanted to do a 1963 100-Page Annual which would have been a crossover between his characters, Rob Liefeld's characters, and possibly Jim Lee's characters but it never came together even when he was working for Liefeld and Lee on various titles for them.
    that's a shame.

i found a couple of issues of Triple X by the Pander Brothers but kind of confused. can't find much info on the series but it seems to be connected to another series called Dissident. anybody familiar??

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I don't know Dissident, but I actually recently finished XXX. It's a story of underground rebellion against an oppressive state which controls media output, Triple X being (if I remember correctly) the underground newspaper. The protagonist is unwillingly drawn into the fight and becomes a committed rebel, joining the struggle to get the truth made public. Maybe 7 issues, from 1994, Dark Horse comics. This is a listing from mycomicshop.com you might find helpful-- https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=164501. I looked under "Triple X" rather than "XXX" to find it.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    I don't know Dissident, but I actually recently finished XXX. It's a story of underground rebellion against an oppressive state which controls media output, Triple X being (if I remember correctly) the underground newspaper. The protagonist is unwillingly drawn into the fight and becomes a committed rebel, joining the struggle to get the truth made public. Maybe 7 issues, from 1994, Dark Horse comics. This is a listing from mycomicshop.com you might find helpful-- https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=164501. I looked under "Triple X" rather than "XXX" to find it.
    so is it any good??
    i found issues 1 & 3 at mycomicshop.com in their dollar bin.

Is it any good? Hahaha, well, mileage and variance, of course. I decided to hang onto the series; I like the Pander Brothers' artwork, and I liked that the story, despite being decades old, mirrored so much of our own (U.S.) recent (at the time I re-read it, immediate) history. The characters were pretty staid and the underground revolutionaries' activities pretty standard. I'd say if you liked issues 1 & 3 enough to pursue the series even this much, then you'd probably be glad to have to series. It's nowhere near the Bros.' story in Grendel, which is where I first encountered them, but it's good enough for its times. I don't think you'll miss anything giving it a miss, but if you've got the extra coin to spend, you might very well enjoy it, too.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

And meanwhile, I've read Eric Powell's very harsh, but deeply moving (and disturbing) four-issue Big Man Plans, not recommended for those seeking light-hearted fare, but The Goon fans might know what to expect. And in balance, (much needed balance!) have begun a re-read of Groo's Marvel comics issues, very simple silliness done well, en route to 'done exceedingly well' as I remember later issues.

Incredible Member

I’ve re visited the last few runs of “Supreme “, including the new-to-me “Blue Rose”. And the “League of Extraordinary Gentlemen”.

Is it any good? Hahaha, well, mileage and variance, of course. I decided to hang onto the series; I like the Pander Brothers' artwork, and I liked that the story, despite being decades old, mirrored so much of our own (U.S.) recent (at the time I re-read it, immediate) history. The characters were pretty staid and the underground revolutionaries' activities pretty standard. I'd say if you liked issues 1 & 3 enough to pursue the series even this much, then you'd probably be glad to have to series. It's nowhere near the Bros.' story in Grendel, which is where I first encountered them, but it's good enough for its times. I don't think you'll miss anything giving it a miss, but if you've got the extra coin to spend, you might very well enjoy it, too.
    thanks for the feed back. haven't read issues 1 & 3 yet, i ordered them for $1 each and they should arrive next month with my monthly comics. for the price i ordered them on the strength of the Pander brothers reputation though i've never read anything by them. the only Grendel i've read has been by Wagner.

thanks again.

And meanwhile, I've read Eric Powell's very harsh, but deeply moving (and disturbing) four-issue Big Man Plans, not recommended for those seeking light-hearted fare, but The Goon fans might know what to expect. And in balance, (much needed balance!) have begun a re-read of Groo's Marvel comics issues, very simple silliness done well, en route to 'done exceedingly well' as I remember later issues.
    i found issue 4 of Big man Plans for 25cents at a garage sale last sunday. had never heard of it but since i've enjoyed what i've read of the Goon i picked up, glad to hear it's similar.
    Last edited by BigLbo; 01-30-2021 at 12:51 AM.