Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Here is my opinion of sometimes what happens.

Writer: Hey I want to do a sidekick for (Insert character name)

DC Editorial: Sure, here is a list of characters you could easily use.
    Anima
    Jade
    Empress
    Bombshell
    Sparx
    Vulcan
    Aura
    Aquamaria

Writer: you know, I really just want to create my own, give him a mystery backstory, integrate that into the book, sort of thing. I will call him, "Sidekick Man"

DC Editorial: Sure whatever.

2 years go by.

DC Editorial : Hey we need to cancel your book.

Writer: Sounds good, want me to kill Sidekick man off or will someone want to use him later?"

DC Editorial : Whatever

Writer: I'll leave him around then.

New Writer:: Hey I want to do a sidekick for (Insert character name)

DC Editorial: Sure, here is a list of characters you could easily use.
    Anima
    Jade
    Empress
    Bombshell
    Sparx
    Vulcan
    Aura
    Aquamaria
    Sidekick Man

New Writer: you know, I really just want to create my own, give him a mystery backstory, integrate that into the book, sort of thing. I will call him, "Billy Bob"

DC Editorial : Sure whatever
    There is this. Also, back in the day, I suspect putting a new writer on a title was more about stewarding the property while telling a story. The advent of Image comics changed the creator/publisher dynamic in such a way (IMO) that putting a new writer on a title is about telling the writer's story, and stewarding the property is an after-thought, if considered at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Personally I would rather like to see characters like Aura,Bombshell,Traci13,Static,...in YJ rather than Teen Lantern,Arrowette,Hex,Dial H for Hero,Wonder Twins,.....because they are more experienced, have very diverse powers (in Auras Case I think she and Magenta are the only ones with these powers in DC Universe) and would make the YJ team stronger..
    Except Arrowette was in the original Young Justice so it makes more sense to have her on the team since the entire point of doing a new Young Justice series was nostalgia for the characters in it.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

This reminds me of my reaction to Bendis saying he was going to be creating new heroes and villains for the Superman books when there are so many Superman characters nobody is doing anything with or haven't in a really long time.

Writers and artists also get paid for future use of a character they create. They don't get squat outside their standard page rate for using someone eles creations.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This reminds me of my reaction to Bendis saying he was going to be creating new heroes and villains for the Superman books when there are so many Superman characters nobody is doing anything with or haven't in a really long time.
    Let's be honest. It's Bendis. If he had used the old, unused character people would've just complained that he was ruining them anyway. He was damned either way.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Let's be honest. It's Bendis. If he had used the old, unused character people would've just complained that he was ruining them anyway. He was damned either way.
    I mean, not necessarily? But even I am fairly cynical when it comes to Bendis, so I understand the concern.

Agree OP, its gotten ridiculous.
    DC should put some controls to stop writers creating new characters on a whim. They could put rules where only a handful of new characters are created each year, when no existing character can fill that role.

Writers and artists also get paid for future use of a character they create. They don't get squat outside their standard page rate for using someone eles creations.
    So they just gonna endlessly create new characters chasing money?, DC gotta control this situation, people are not gonna self regulate when it comes to money.
    Last edited by HunterX; 04-06-2020 at 03:57 PM.

I'm fine with creators creating new characters if the new characters bring something new to the table. But when the character is just another Robin, another Speedy, another Earth-born Green Lantern, and so on, it gets tiresome and clutters up an already cluttered universe.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    Are you sure you know how comics work?

Every writer that takes on a series is reimagining every character. And along with that they add new characters...

Tom Kings batman run is totally reimagined batmans universe and he introduce Gotham Girl and Gotham..

All the writers do this.

Mostly use established characters then add a few. Some of the new ones stick and we get great new characters in the universe
    I may lack your expertise.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    Well that would be nice and good if said character was being used in something.

So how much do you get when said character is killed off like we saw in Heroes in Crisis?

I am SURE Dan Jurden & George Perez liked seeing Hotspot killed off.

Dan Jolley & Chriscross loved seeing Ronnie Raymond's creator get rid of Jason Rusch.

And what money are the guys who are still alive who created Ultraverse getting?

And how much did Cassandra Cain creators NOT get when she was PITCH TOXIC due to the head of DC not liking her.

For every Deadpool or Miles Morales that are guys like the above who are not getting squat.

That is why Priest got Xero and Dan Jolley got Blood Hound back from DC.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    I may lack your expertise.
    ������
    Baha

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    I think they get only payed if the character is used outside of comics.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Hello,
    one question which I have since long time and which I find also quite annoying is:

Why (especially in Tims Generation) do they create new heroes and stop using existing ones??

I mean in Tims Generation we have seen
    THE RAVERS
    YOUNG JUSTICE
    TEEN TITANS
    BLOOD PACK

I really liked the characters of this teams like:

Anima
    Jade
    Empress
    Bombshell
    Sparx
    Vulcan
    Aura
    Aquamaria
    Bunker
    Mia Dearden
    Traci13
    Terra
    Aura
    Tula
    Zachary Zatara
    Thunder
    Lightning
    Red Devil
    Static

I mean sorry, but I would replace Sideways,Hex,Teen Lantern,Naomi,Dial H for Hero etc. etc. IMMEDIATLY for Heroes of the list above.

I have the hope that at least EMPRESS might come back in the recent YJ Series, but I have no hope for TRACI13 or AURA...
    Some of the characters you named would have when they were created also have fallen under "newly created instead of using an existing character". Especially those created after the 90s (like for example Mia Dearden, Bombshell or Bunker).
    Last edited by Aahz; 04-06-2020 at 11:27 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Empress pretty much disappeared when the original Young Justice was cancelled. Mia was a New 52 victim and pretty much replaced by Emiko. Of those three only Traci exists in current continuity.

They're not still using Tula are they? If she does appear again, they ought to retcon that as a resurrection. Terra was probably just de-aged like Raven and Beast Boy. She should be aged up when she next appears.
    Mia Dearden existed in NEW52...but was only shown in one storyline (If I remember right...)...
    So Mia existed Pre-Flashpoint and in NEW52, so I think she will still be around...

Empress would be a VERY interesting addition to YJ with her skills:
    Vodou magic, telepathy and fighting skills...

Terra is DIFFICULT:
    there are many versions:
    -1. Terra
    -2. Terra Doppelgänger (killed by Black Adam)
    -3. Atlee:

Atlee is in TIMS GENERATION and she was offered (in 2009) a place in the Teen Titans Team by Cassie.
    Atlee became Power Girls Sidekick..

Terra was shown in TITANS OF TOMORROW and Titans of Tomorrow... Today!
    In Titans of Tomorrow she was a member of Titans East and in Titans of Tomorrow she was a member of the Titans of Tomorrow.

But if you consider the Titans of Tomorrow Versions you can also put her in Tims Generation...(although I think that these could be the doppelgänger versions..)

Money and residuals is an important factor. Look at Bendis Superman. Its pretty clear his creations are mostly to try and get money from future adaptions.