Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 43
  1. #1
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,165

    Default Why creating new heroes and dont use older (existing) ones?

    Hello,
    one question which I have since long time and which I find also quite annoying is:

    Why (especially in Tims Generation) do they create new heroes and stop using existing ones??

    I mean in Tims Generation we have seen
    THE RAVERS
    YOUNG JUSTICE
    TEEN TITANS
    BLOOD PACK

    I really liked the characters of this teams like:

    Anima
    Jade
    Empress
    Bombshell
    Sparx
    Vulcan
    Aura
    Aquamaria
    Bunker
    Mia Dearden
    Traci13
    Terra
    Aura
    Tula
    Zachary Zatara
    Thunder
    Lightning
    Red Devil
    Static

    I mean sorry, but I would replace Sideways,Hex,Teen Lantern,Naomi,Dial H for Hero etc. etc. IMMEDIATLY for Heroes of the list above.

    I have the hope that at least EMPRESS might come back in the recent YJ Series, but I have no hope for TRACI13 or AURA...

  2. #2
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    21,666

    Default

    Terra and Tula? Those two are Dick's generation.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    4,585

    Default

    My guess is because they tried, and it failed to catch on, so they'd rather make a new one than try to build up someone they knew didn't catch on.

    Also, writers will prefer their own Original Character, so even if someone did catch on, they're not prioritized.

  4. #4
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    My guess is because they tried, and it failed to catch on, so they'd rather make a new one than try to build up someone they knew didn't catch on.

    Also, writers will prefer their own Original Character, so even if someone did catch on, they're not prioritized.
    I agree with your second sentence.

    I think true creativity is using existing characters rather than creating new ones. At least, that would be better for DC comics and their currently unused 100,000 characters sitting on the shelf in limbo.

  5. #5
    Extraordinary Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,420

    Default

    It seems like DC had tried at times to make everyone happy, which of course makes nobody happy. They called called for "nostalgia porn" when they bring back older, existing heroes or being "SJW" for creating new characters because a bunch of them aren't white, so DC gets called for "pushing an agenda and doesn't care about good stories anymore."

  6. #6

    Default

    I agree with Restingvoice's comment and add that maybe they don't see those character's values the same way you do. Maybe they just don't think those characters are worth revisiting?

  7. #7
    Mighty Member LordMikel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,431

    Default

    Here is my opinion of sometimes what happens.

    Writer: Hey I want to do a sidekick for (Insert character name)

    DC Editorial: Sure, here is a list of characters you could easily use.
    Anima
    Jade
    Empress
    Bombshell
    Sparx
    Vulcan
    Aura
    Aquamaria

    Writer: you know, I really just want to create my own, give him a mystery backstory, integrate that into the book, sort of thing. I will call him, "Sidekick Man"

    DC Editorial: Sure whatever.

    2 years go by.

    DC Editorial : Hey we need to cancel your book.

    Writer: Sounds good, want me to kill Sidekick man off or will someone want to use him later?"

    DC Editorial : Whatever

    Writer: I'll leave him around then.

    New Writer:: Hey I want to do a sidekick for (Insert character name)

    DC Editorial: Sure, here is a list of characters you could easily use.
    Anima
    Jade
    Empress
    Bombshell
    Sparx
    Vulcan
    Aura
    Aquamaria
    Sidekick Man

    New Writer: you know, I really just want to create my own, give him a mystery backstory, integrate that into the book, sort of thing. I will call him, "Billy Bob"

    DC Editorial : Sure whatever
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

    Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

  8. #8
    Spectacular Member Menacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Here is my opinion of sometimes what happens.

    Writer: Hey I want to do a sidekick for (Insert character name)

    DC Editorial: Sure, here is a list of characters you could easily use.
    Anima
    Jade
    Empress
    Bombshell
    Sparx
    Vulcan
    Aura
    Aquamaria

    Writer: you know, I really just want to create my own, give him a mystery backstory, integrate that into the book, sort of thing. I will call him, "Sidekick Man"

    DC Editorial: Sure whatever.

    2 years go by.

    DC Editorial : Hey we need to cancel your book.

    Writer: Sounds good, want me to kill Sidekick man off or will someone want to use him later?"

    DC Editorial : Whatever

    Writer: I'll leave him around then.

    New Writer:: Hey I want to do a sidekick for (Insert character name)

    DC Editorial: Sure, here is a list of characters you could easily use.
    Anima
    Jade
    Empress
    Bombshell
    Sparx
    Vulcan
    Aura
    Aquamaria
    Sidekick Man

    New Writer: you know, I really just want to create my own, give him a mystery backstory, integrate that into the book, sort of thing. I will call him, "Billy Bob"

    DC Editorial : Sure whatever
    The fact is you'll never know what character new or reimagined will catch on...

    When they pitched Superman or Batman there was probably some fan saying well why not just tell another Zorro story, or lets just use Mandrake the Magician...

    If you stifle the creatives, you undoubtedly will lose classic characters from the past and new ones to come.

    If a writer feels he wants to revisit old characters like geoff does with his modern jsa run, so be it,.


    If u like that old character then read those stories.

    I love tim burtons batman and batman returns but its unrealistic to say future film makers must do what tim did... fact is they couldnt if they tried... even modern day tim couldnt reproduce what he did in 89 and 92

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member HandofPrometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Here is my opinion of sometimes what happens.

    Writer: Hey I want to do a sidekick for (Insert character name)

    DC Editorial: Sure, here is a list of characters you could easily use.
    Anima
    Jade
    Empress
    Bombshell
    Sparx
    Vulcan
    Aura
    Aquamaria

    Writer: you know, I really just want to create my own, give him a mystery backstory, integrate that into the book, sort of thing. I will call him, "Sidekick Man"

    DC Editorial: Sure whatever.

    2 years go by.

    DC Editorial : Hey we need to cancel your book.

    Writer: Sounds good, want me to kill Sidekick man off or will someone want to use him later?"

    DC Editorial : Whatever

    Writer: I'll leave him around then.

    New Writer:: Hey I want to do a sidekick for (Insert character name)

    DC Editorial: Sure, here is a list of characters you could easily use.
    Anima
    Jade
    Empress
    Bombshell
    Sparx
    Vulcan
    Aura
    Aquamaria
    Sidekick Man

    New Writer: you know, I really just want to create my own, give him a mystery backstory, integrate that into the book, sort of thing. I will call him, "Billy Bob"

    DC Editorial : Sure whatever
    Which is why I applaud writers who take characters who are considered to "not work" and do interesting stuff with them.

  10. #10
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Terra and Tula? Those two are Dick's generation.
    Not really....

    It depends which version you are using.

    Terra exists in Rebirth and was part of Deathstrokes Team and I think actually she is more in Tims Generation or?

    Tula died Pre-Flashpoint Comics, in NEW52 she was alive and stepsister of Aquaman, in YJ Anime she died and was part of Dicks,Superboys,Wallys... generation..

    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    My guess is because they tried, and it failed to catch on, so they'd rather make a new one than try to build up someone they knew didn't catch on.
    Not really:

    EMPRESS: Was an important character in YJ and was in many issues
    MIA DEARDEN: Appeared in over 180 comic issues
    TRACI 13: Is currently in the JL DARK Series and she is in the YJ Anime

    THUNDER and LIGHTNING are in the current BLACK LIGHTNING TV SERIES

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It seems like DC had tried at times to make everyone happy, which of course makes nobody happy. They called called for "nostalgia porn" when they bring back older, existing heroes or being "SJW" for creating new characters because a bunch of them aren't white, so DC gets called for "pushing an agenda and doesn't care about good stories anymore."
    Speaking about diversity it would be nice to see Mia Dearden, Aura

    and especially Bunker,
    Traci13-Natasha Irons,
    Thunder-Grace

  11. #11
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,165

    Default

    Personally I would rather like to see characters like Aura,Bombshell,Traci13,Static,...in YJ rather than Teen Lantern,Arrowette,Hex,Dial H for Hero,Wonder Twins,.....because they are more experienced, have very diverse powers (in Auras Case I think she and Magenta are the only ones with these powers in DC Universe) and would make the YJ team stronger..

  12. #12
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    21,666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Not really....

    It depends which version you are using.

    Terra exists in Rebirth and was part of Deathstrokes Team and I think actually she is more in Tims Generation or?

    Tula died Pre-Flashpoint Comics, in NEW52 she was alive and stepsister of Aquaman, in YJ Anime she died and was part of Dicks,Superboys,Wallys... generation..

    Not really:

    EMPRESS: Was an important character in YJ and was in many issues
    MIA DEARDEN: Appeared in over 180 comic issues
    TRACI 13: Is currently in the JL DARK Series and she is in the YJ Anime
    Empress pretty much disappeared when the original Young Justice was cancelled. Mia was a New 52 victim and pretty much replaced by Emiko. Of those three only Traci exists in current continuity.

    They're not still using Tula are they? If she does appear again, they ought to retcon that as a resurrection. Terra was probably just de-aged like Raven and Beast Boy. She should be aged up when she next appears.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  13. #13
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    6,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    in YJ rather than Teen Lantern,Arrowette,Hex,Dial H for Hero,Wonder Twins,.....
    At least Dial H for Hero,Wonder Twins and Namoi are probaly only guest in YJ, they have all their own books and will probably not stick around on the long run in YJ.
    I guess that Teen Lantern and Jenny Hex will probably be central for the plot of up coming arcs, similar to Raven in NTT or Secret in the original YJ.

  14. #14
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Here is my opinion of sometimes what happens.

    Writer: Hey I want to do a sidekick for (Insert character name)

    DC Editorial: Sure, here is a list of characters you could easily use.
    Anima
    Jade
    Empress
    Bombshell
    Sparx
    Vulcan
    Aura
    Aquamaria

    Writer: you know, I really just want to create my own, give him a mystery backstory, integrate that into the book, sort of thing. I will call him, "Sidekick Man"

    DC Editorial: Sure whatever.

    2 years go by.

    DC Editorial : Hey we need to cancel your book.

    Writer: Sounds good, want me to kill Sidekick man off or will someone want to use him later?"

    DC Editorial : Whatever

    Writer: I'll leave him around then.

    New Writer:: Hey I want to do a sidekick for (Insert character name)

    DC Editorial: Sure, here is a list of characters you could easily use.
    Anima
    Jade
    Empress
    Bombshell
    Sparx
    Vulcan
    Aura
    Aquamaria
    Sidekick Man

    New Writer: you know, I really just want to create my own, give him a mystery backstory, integrate that into the book, sort of thing. I will call him, "Billy Bob"

    DC Editorial : Sure whatever
    yeah, that seems about right.

    Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    The fact is you'll never know what character new or reimagined will catch on...

    When they pitched Superman or Batman there was probably some fan saying well why not just tell another Zorro story, or lets just use Mandrake the Magician...

    If you stifle the creatives, you undoubtedly will lose classic characters from the past and new ones to come.

    If a writer feels he wants to revisit old characters like geoff does with his modern jsa run, so be it,.



    If u like that old character then read those stories.

    I love tim burtons batman and batman returns but its unrealistic to say future film makers must do what tim did... fact is they couldnt if they tried... even modern day tim couldnt reproduce what he did in 89 and 92
    Okay...I don't want to stifle creativity.

    So, DC should just hire writers who want to revisit existing characters.

    Writers with new ideas should work independently; they can keep their creations instead of adding to the overfilled corporate toy box.

    Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Which is why I applaud writers who take characters who are considered to "not work" and do interesting stuff with them.
    I applaud them too.

  15. #15
    Spectacular Member Menacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post

    Okay...I don't want to stifle creativity.

    So, DC should just hire writers who want to revisit existing characters.

    Writers with new ideas should work independently; they can keep their creations instead of adding to the overfilled corporate toy box.
    Are you sure you know how comics work?

    Every writer that takes on a series is reimagining every character. And along with that they add new characters...

    Tom Kings batman run is totally reimagined batmans universe and he introduce Gotham Girl and Gotham..

    All the writers do this.

    Mostly use established characters then add a few. Some of the new ones stick and we get great new characters in the universe

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •