Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Some of the characters you named would have when they were created also have fallen under "newly created instead of using an existing character". Especially those created after the 90s (like for example Mia Dearden, Bombshell or Bunker).
    Not really...
    I logically divide also into generations...

MIA DEARDEN yes, if you say that TIMS GENERATION already had ARROWETTE...

Bunker and Bombshell instead are kind of unique..fit in TIMS GENERATION...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Bunker and Bombshell instead are kind of unique..fit in TIMS GENERATION...
    Not really more Unique as Sideways,Hex,Teen Lantern,Naomi or Dial H for Hero.

And if you just look at the powers, Bunkers Powers are not really different from Argent's who is as member of the 1996 probaly closer to Tim's Generation as the characters like Jade, Thunder or Tula, and Bombshell has basically just the typical "Flying Brick" powers that Superboy and Wonder Girl also have.

Astonishing Member

Hello,
    one question which I have since long time and which I find also quite annoying is:

Why (especially in Tims Generation) do they create new heroes and stop using existing ones??

I mean in Tims Generation we have seen
    THE RAVERS
    YOUNG JUSTICE
    TEEN TITANS
    BLOOD PACK

I really liked the characters of this teams like:

Anima
    Jade
    Empress
    Bombshell
    Sparx
    Vulcan
    Aura
    Aquamaria
    Bunker
    Mia Dearden
    Traci13
    Terra
    Aura
    Tula
    Zachary Zatara
    Thunder
    Lightning
    Red Devil
    Static

I mean sorry, but I would replace Sideways,Hex,Teen Lantern,Naomi,Dial H for Hero etc. etc. IMMEDIATLY for Heroes of the list above.

I have the hope that at least EMPRESS might come back in the recent YJ Series, but I have no hope for TRACI13 or AURA...
    Some of the characters you named would have when they were created also have fallen under "newly created instead of using an existing character". Especially those created after the 90s (like for example Mia Dearden, Bombshell or Bunker).
    Aahz, I see your point.

Every character was new at some time.

And...where are all these characters now? Mostly sitting on shelf in limbo unfortunately...while new characters are being created...most of whom will end up sitting on a shelf in limbo...while new characters are created...

Mighty Member

Not really more Unique as Sideways,Hex,Teen Lantern,Naomi or Dial H for Hero.

And if you just look at the powers, Bunkers Powers are not really different from Argent's who is as member of the 1996 probaly closer to Tim's Generation as the characters like Jade, Thunder or Tula, and Bombshell has basically just the typical "Flying Brick" powers that Superboy and Wonder Girl also have.
    Argent is more in Dicks Generation and was a member of his Titans..

AND Bunker, Bombshell,.... are for sure more unique as Dial H for Hero, Teen Lantern, Naomi....

AND NO!!!
    Bombshell has her ENERGY WAVES which scramble people minds AND she can CONTROL TECHNOLOGY....which makes her quite unique...

Extraordinary Member

Argent is more in Dicks Generation and was a member of his Titans.
    A Rookie member that came out of the 1996 Teen Titans run.

And the members of that run were afaik 16 when the book started, which would make them roughly a year older than the YJ4.

Argent is more in Dicks Generation and was a member of his Titans..

AND Bunker, Bombshell,.... are for sure more unique as Dial H for Hero, Teen Lantern, Naomi....

AND NO!!!
    Bombshell has her ENERGY WAVES which scramble people minds AND she can CONTROL TECHNOLOGY....which makes her quite unique...
    Isn't Bombshell just a teen girl version of Captain Atom?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Isn't Bombshell just a teen girl version of Captain Atom?
    Similar yes, but if her skin cracks, she gets only weaker and she doesnt explode like Captain Atom and Major Force...Her origin is different..
    Extends of her powers are difficult, because she is young and might learn how to use her powers..

But anyway it doesnt matter (she is still a kind of unique character) and especially if you consider Tims Generation only, she is unique.

She might also be the strongest character of Tims Generation (only maybe behind Kon El) since she was able to fight against Wonder Girl and Miss Martian.

She would be for sure a powerful addition to Tim,Cassie,Conner,Bart and I liked her anti-hero personality...

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

So basically "why does DC create new characters from after when I started reading."

Come on, dude. I love some forgotten characters too, but a lot of your list were new in the 90s/00s. It's literally the exact same thing that happened to 70s/80s fans when your favorites rolled in.

We all have the eras we love, but let's not ask DC to kneecap itself just because we want our era to be the only one that matters. This is no better than when new fans demand all the iconic heroes die or age out because they want their new hotness to be the IP champion.

It's a creative medium. If a new character leads to a good story, I'm all for it. Good ideas don't stay buried long. A lot of the characters you mentioned will crop up again.

This is why DC needs an anthology book

Funny enough I got Gehenna confused with Traci13, cause initially I thought the character was dead.
    And Empress is retired, I doubt she will ever make another appearance. She was halfheartedly used in Young Justice vs Titans, got hurt, and people said, "what is she doing, she has kids to take care of?" Or something like that.

But as people are mentioning, some characters get used elsewhere, and people simply don't know it. It makes me think, DC might be missing an opportunity. They could do Facebook pages for many of these characters that people could subscribe to and if the character gets used somewhere, do a mention.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    So basically "why does DC create new characters from after when I started reading."

Come on, dude. I love some forgotten characters too, but a lot of your list were new in the 90s/00s. It's literally the exact same thing that happened to 70s/80s fans when your favorites rolled in.

We all have the eras we love, but let's not ask DC to kneecap itself just because we want our era to be the only one that matters. This is no better than when new fans demand all the iconic heroes die or age out because they want their new hotness to be the IP champion.

It's a creative medium. If a new character leads to a good story, I'm all for it. Good ideas don't stay buried long. A lot of the characters you mentioned will crop up again.
    Exactly this

Extraordinary Member

Btw. the Wonder Twins and Dial H are also not really new.

Wonder Twins were created in the 70 for the Super Friends TV show, and have first appeared in the main continuity comics in 1995, and the H-Dial is around in the comics since the 60s.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post

NO!!!

Thats completely wrong...I have nothing against new characters, BUT!!

1.) they should then be in Damians generation or younger...
    Tims Generation is already full with Young Justice, Teen Titans (dont forget that they had also MANY members like Bombshell, Zachary, Vulcano, Red Star etc. etc. who were members after Conners death), Ravers, Bloodpack, daughters of Black Lightning....

2.) New characters are also ok to me if I find them cool and interesting, BUT especially in Tims Generation (YJ) I STRICTLY PREFER the already existing ones to the new ones.

I mean new are: Naomi, Teen Lantern, Hex, Sideways, Aqualad, Dial H for Hero,....
    and sorry, but here I strictly prefer the already existing ones like Blue Beetle, Bombshell, Traci13,.....

I find them more interesting in terms of abilities: Traci13 for example is a really interesting character who I wished that she would had received more time in the Teen Titans...and the already existing ones have more experience....and they already have a relationship with the core 4...

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Funny enough I got Gehenna confused with Traci13, cause initially I thought the character was dead.
    And Empress is retired, I doubt she will ever make another appearance. She was halfheartedly used in Young Justice vs Titans, got hurt, and people said, "what is she doing, she has kids to take care of?" Or something like that.

But as people are mentioning, some characters get used elsewhere, and people simply don't know it. It makes me think, DC might be missing an opportunity. They could do Facebook pages for many of these characters that people could subscribe to and if the character gets used somewhere, do a mention.
    Never heard of Gehenna....Traci13 is in the YJ Anime Series, was pre-flashpoint in the Titans and is now in JLD with Zatanna, Wonder Woman (so she has a pretty good role at the moment)

AND!! there were also Rumors that TRACI 13 will get her own TV Series: "Project 13" like the Flash, Arrow and Supergirl Series

ARROWETTE retired BEFORE EMPRESS and she is now back, so retiring means nothing.....I really believe that Empress might come back and replace a character...