Astonishing Member

Default Will COVID19 be Addressed in Marvel-Story especially NYC?

When enough time pass and comics come back and then all the comic released that were suppose to come out before the shutdown. You think Marvel writers will address this subject in their stories especially NYC where most of the Marvel heroes live was affected in real life heavily. Much like how the JMS 9/11 issue of Amazing Spider-man 2 decades ago.

This is a conundrum. They can't resume normal production as things stand until it's all over. So do they timeskip a few months to cover the lockdown and it's effects? Or do they just ignore it? Timeskipping could age Kamala and Miles out of high school (as they're meant to be about 17), but ignoring it could be seen as not caring.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

They have to. It’s a major historical event. They may not have specific storylines but it will be referenced in future stories. Don’t be surprised if there are quarantine inspired events/storylines in the future

BANNED

Tom Brevoort said in a podcast interview recently...over here...

He said that Marvel might address COVID-19 in a special way, by means of metaphor, some time later, but not when the crisis is still happening.

He compared that to their 9/11 issue in Amazing Spider-Man. He pointed out that the difference between 9/11 and COVID-19 is that when the attacks happened, they happened in an instance and then it stopped, so people could grieve and deal with the aftermath the next day, but when the pandemic is a daily reality with an uncertain outcome, there's a waiting time to get to the aftermath and take stock and so on.

I hope not, not sure I want to see heroes self-isolating. That or they just get lazy and bring back the Legacy Virus

I suspect some sort of event with an applicable metaphor, in the vein of Civil War or Secret Empire. Not to mention writers will draw from their own experiences for their own stories.

Astonishing Member

also theres the headache of other factors to take account that happens marvel fiction that dont happened in real life. i can imagine super villains, demons, vampires, aliens taking advantage of that situation, like the wrecking crew robbing medical supplies to sell for the highest bidder. or like you said time skip and respect the real life event and nothing significant in marvel happened. I would also be curious how the Agent of Atlas like Aero would respond since the pandemic.

I have a feeling they'll just sliding timeline it into something that happened in the past by the time it's first mentioned.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I think it would take a lot of planning if they do decide to make a story about it. As Tom Brevoort makes a good point (thanks for the link RJ!) in that the pandemic is going to be with us for a while. To be match reality, you will have to have the characters practicing social distancing in their day to day lives, dealing with illness and death of family and friends, etc. The scope of it will be a challenge to capture in the monthly titles.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I think it would take a lot of planning if they do decide to make a story about it.
    It will likely be a special one-off issue similar to the 9/11 issue with proceeds going to charity. I mean that's always the problem with people doing stuff about a real traumatic event...there's a fine line between addressing a real event of importance, bearing witness, and providing catharsis, and being seen to profit from that.

As Tom Brevoort makes a good point (thanks for the link RJ!) in that the pandemic is going to be with us for a while. To be match reality, you will have to have the characters practicing social distancing in their day to day lives, dealing with illness and death of family and friends, etc. The scope of it will be a challenge to capture in the monthly titles.
    As per sliding timescale, eventually the rocket with the FF and Steve Rogers being found in an icicle will be brought forward so by around 2030 or so, that will be Post-Covid-19...in the same way 9/11 now happened before the rocket-flight if you keep sliding timescale in mind.

So that way, the MU will probably be able to skirt it and avoid it. The economic collapse and the historic unemployment rates and what some see as a new depression will have aftershocks to come, and as such certain things like crime rate (which might expand) and income inequality and so on, those can be addressed and where before Marvel was updating to a post-gentrified NY, you can now see them go in the other direction and bring back the energy it had in the 70s and 80s.

Astonishing Member

I doubt it. Besides that one Spidey issue, 9\11 wasn't mentioned so i don't think covid will.