Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default I feel like Image and the other indie publishers should be more like manga

In the way they publish anyway. I feel going digital will benefit them more then Marvel and DC since their books don’t have decades of continuity to wade through in order to make sense.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Wouldn't the decades of continuity actually support the idea of digital being beneficial to DC/Marvel?

Either way, the manga format would definitely be something I'd be open to.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

Sometimes things are special because they don't last. -- Zhi, Tales from the Loop

I worry that the numbering would intimidate new readers - I know that when I see One Piece has 90+ volumes at $7 (digital) or $10 (paper) each, I nope right out. Anime/manga nuts might buy $400 sets but that's spendy even for comic book collectors.

What exactly would need to change about their current digital strategy? Image books are already on services like ComiXology, and they sell everything DRM-free through their own website too. Do you mean they should publish more often, with shorter weekly chapters? Or publish in black & white to save time and reduce costs?

I don't read much manga, let alone digitally, so I wonder what the Japanese market is doing correctly and how the Western publishers should follow them?
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    In the way they publish anyway. I feel going digital will benefit them more then Marvel and DC since their books don’t have decades of continuity to wade through in order to make sense.
    Definitely no. Comics with low history are easy to pick-up, start, and understand because they don't have a long history. Part of the interrest in comics, is collectionning ! So having them digitally breaks the collectible side of comics.
    Concerning Marvel/DC, going digital is good. Like this they can easilly make their old comics accessible.

I find, as I get older and accumulate more stuff, the collectible side to be a huge turn off. I've basically stopped picking up new series, especially ongoings.

What I do read is digital now.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I find, as I get older and accumulate more stuff, the collectible side to be a huge turn off. I've basically stopped picking up new series, especially ongoings.

What I do read is digital now.
    Same, and it's so much nicer. I keep putting off the process of going through my long boxes of old stuff and deciding what to get rid of, one way or another. Selling on eBay seems like a massive pain.

Image comics are already available digitally?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Image comics are already available digitally?
    Yes, of course. You can buy them via Comixology (eg https://www.comixology.com/Gideon-Fa...N1bHRzU2xpZGVy) or via the Image mobile app.