Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default DC ending the animated movie universe?

Supposedly the latest Justice League movie is the last one for this universe. Personally, I'm glad. I liked the stand alone movies and don't like the idea of having to buy everything that comes out just to follow what's going on.

https://www.cbr.com/report-justice-l...universe-film/
    Assassinate Putin!

Good, the shared continuity films have been...less good.

I hope to see new stand-alone films with different characters getting a spotlight and new, different styles - a longer form of the shorts they used to do. Even if they were half an hour each, I'd rather a greater variety and higher production value than length.

I'm all for stand alone movies. Never understood that shared universe obssession some fans seem to have.

Superman: Man of Tomorrow should be interesting for a variety of reasons.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    I'm all for stand alone movies. Never understood that shared universe obssession some fans seem to have.
    Not really sure what this means.

Are you talking "no shared universe" in the sense of each individual movie standing alone or in the sense that Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman ... can only appear in solo movies, with no Justice League, Sidekicks in Titans or guest appearances.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

My issue with the shared movie universe was that if you buy one movie, it references stuff from another movie and you have to get that other movie to follow what's going on. I got Hush before I got the Death/Reign movies and when Luthor told Batman that he helped them with the cyborg Superman I had no idea what he was talking about. The SS Hell to Pay movie was fun up until Reverse Flash showed up and it's the one from Flashpoint with the bullet in his head and that just kind of took me out of it. If I want to watch a movie I want to watch A movie. If I want franchises, I'll watch Star Wars or the MCU.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Not really sure what this means.

Are you talking "no shared universe" in the sense of each individual movie standing alone or in the sense that Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman ... can only appear in solo movies, with no Justice League, Sidekicks in Titans or guest appearances.
    Can't speak for who you're asking (although from context I assume this), but this is definitely what I want to see. There wasn't a shared universe between Batman: Under the Red Hood or Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths. There was no shared continuity between Superman Batman: Public Enemies and JL: Doom. And while it wasn't perfect, it was largely better than the current shared universe films.

Are there people out there who thinks most of these movies are good?

They have the same mistakes that the movies do. Completely nerfing characters, changing storylines for the worse, inconsistent animation, too much Batman etc...

Just look at Throne of Atlantis, were you at any point intimidated by Ocean Master? Hell I think Orm was more intimidating in the Aquaman movie. And the scene where Atlantis floods the entire United States was cut out because.....? Most of these movies are just watered-down big time.

There are some good ones: Judas Contract, both of the Suicide Squad films, Bad Blood, Bloodlines, Death/Reign and Flashpoint. Hush was enjoyable as well.

Too bad we won't be getting a Donna featuring Teen Titans movie teased at the end of Judas Contract.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 04-09-2020 at 11:13 AM.

I will watch the Wonder Woman solo, Judas Contract and Suicide Squad.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    My issue with the shared movie universe was that if you buy one movie, it references stuff from another movie and you have to get that other movie to follow what's going on. I got Hush before I got the Death/Reign movies and when Luthor told Batman that he helped them with the cyborg Superman I had no idea what he was talking about. The SS Hell to Pay movie was fun up until Reverse Flash showed up and it's the one from Flashpoint with the bullet in his head and that just kind of took me out of it. If I want to watch a movie I want to watch A movie. If I want franchises, I'll watch Star Wars or the MCU.
    But if it's supposed to be a shared universe franchise, shouldn't that be taken into account? I mean, yeah, if you're expecting to go in and watch a completely standalone film I can see the issue if you don't know any better that it's part of a shared continuity of films, although I don't think that's ever effected the plot too much. I liked the Thawne twist in Hell to Pay for one and the Luthor thing was pretty minor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Can't speak for who you're asking (although from context I assume this), but this is definitely what I want to see. There wasn't a shared universe between Batman: Under the Red Hood or Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths. There was no shared continuity between Superman Batman: Public Enemies and JL: Doom. And while it wasn't perfect, it was largely better than the current shared universe films.
    I think Under the Red Hood was stronger then any of the solo in-continuity Batman movies, but I think those movies got to accomplish things that UtRH didn't, so I appreciate them.

There doesn't need to be a shared universe, but I don't think there being one is a bad thing in and of itself. And they never stopped making standalone films anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Just look at Throne of Atlantis, were you at any point intimidated by Ocean Master? Hell I think Orm was more intimidating in the Aquaman movie. And the scene where Atlantis floods the entire United States was cut out because.....? Most of these movies are just watered-down big time.
    Well, he single-handedly took down pretty much the entire Justice League...so yeah?
    Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    There are some good ones: Judas Contract, both of the Suicide Squad films, Bad Blood, Bloodlines and Death of Superman and Rise of the Supermen. Hush was enjoyable as well.

Too bad we won't be getting a Donna featuring Teen Titans movie teased at the end of Judas Contract.
    I would've liked to have seen more of Peyton List as Batgirl too, as well as Cameron Monaghan's Superboy.

Stand alone is definitely the way to go. Connectivity has become wildly overrated. Both here and in comics. But one thing at a time.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Stand alone is definitely the way to go. Connectivity has become wildly overrated. Both here and in comics. But one thing at a time.
    I think you can do things in a connected universe that you can't in a standalone, but one method isn't necessarily wrong or better then the other.

The movies have gone down the hill. Red Son was awful. Wonder Woman is now a stereotypical lesbian hating male basher. Good to end it now before DC lets it completely fall off the cliff.