Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Default Times when humans were genuinely concerned over the well-being of mutants.

Just a thread acknowledging the more positive aspects of the Marvel universe in regards to mutants, which have included humans whom were actually concerned for mutants instead of being against them, such as:

The police officers who defended Kitty from Stryker in Marvel Graphic Novel #5 (1982):

The general from The Uncanny X-Men #190 (February, 1985):

The pro-mutant activists from X-Men: Gold #16 (January, 2018):

Last edited by Electricmastro; 04-05-2020 at 05:09 PM.

BANNED

Well, that’s good.

It’s always good to see some good people helping Mutants. Wonder why we don’t see more of that.

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    Well, that’s good.
    It’s always good to see some good people helping Mutants. [I]Wonder why we don’t see more of that
    True Art Is Angsty
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    True Art Is Angsty
    Yeah, it kind of runs against the franchise' main conflict...just like how, similarly, people complain about the lack of involvement from The Avengers or other Marvel heroes in helping Mutants even though that's just how the confines of a shared universe usually end up.

That being said, it would be interesting to see examples of The Avengers actively aiding or supporting Mutants from the comics. Or like that time in, I think, the Roger Stern Avengers run where Wanda attacked anti-Mutant protesters.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, it kind of runs against the franchise' main conflict...just like how, similarly, people complain about the lack of involvement from The Avengers or other Marvel heroes in helping Mutants even though that's just how the confines of a shared universe usually end up.

That being said, it would be interesting to see examples of The Avengers actively aiding or supporting Mutants from the comics. Or like that time in, I think, the Roger Stern Avengers run where Wanda attacked anti-Mutant protesters.
    That's definitely true. The lack of focus definitely takes away from the chance of added nuance.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Extraordinary Member

Reverand William Conover publicly voicing support for mutants way back in Uncanny X-Men vol 1 #234 in Sept 1988.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    I realised this MONTHS ago when that People of the earth poster was running amok and spreading all the anti Krakoa propaganda.

Circular debates in the void give me grey pubes.
    I know you Didn't actually read the content of my posts in order to come up with such a ridiculous take on them.
    That, or you missed the point of said posts altogether.

Regrettable in both cases.

As for this thread, I thought it was about celebrating the fact there are sapiens who actually showed support to mutantkind throughout the year? Why did it devolve into a debate about the Avengers not helping the X-Men enough, or the sapien population being closet hatemongers again?

Someone asked about how to break the cycle of intellectual abuse when interacting people on this forum, maybe doing so from a thread who isn't actively hijacked by some posters would be a good start...
    Reading the actual posts people decide to answer to is also helping, but alas this one will fall on deaf ears I'm certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Just a thread acknowledging the more positive aspects of the Marvel universe in regards to mutants, which have included humans whom were actually concerned for mutants instead of being against them, such as:

The police officers who defended Kitty from Stryker in Marvel Graphic Novel #5 (1982):

The general from The Uncanny X-Men #190 (February, 1985):

The pro-mutant activists from X-Men: Gold #16 (January, 2018):

Just a reminder of what this thread was supposed to be about, eventhough it didn't even reach two pages before someone hijacked it…
    Still, great examples to kickstart things
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Wait, what? Nothing I've said has been "misinformation" or "fake news."

As of now I think Krakoa's government fits the autocracy and oligarchy definitions. They both described the Quiet Council's influence and political control over the country.
    But when you say the mutants don't care about humanity or the outside world, despite plenty of examples in the current era, it feels disingenuous.

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    Just a reminder of what this thread was supposed to be about, eventhough it didn't even reach two pages before someone hijacked it…
    Still, great examples to kickstart things
    X-Force has showcased a few:

- The businessman who helped with negotiations between his nation and Krakoa, who also invested heavily in X-Corp.
    - The prominent journalist in Toronto who had published several pro-mutant editorials.
    - The Japanese politician who loudly advocated for the treaty with Krakoa.
    - A priest in the Order of X.
    - And of course the human allies working at Greenspace. I have to imagine that there are human allies working at Xavier's other facilities.

Sadly, all of them were murdered for being mutant supporters. There's an agenda to keep an anti-mutant narrative and silencing any support.

Thankfully Professor Elise Irene Owsley, "an evolutionary biologist who has long been a staunch defender of mutant rights". Luckily she was saved by Domino and I'm hoping we get to see more of her. Her stance for over a decade has been that mutant sovereignty was an inevitability.

We also had the famous dinner in X-Men #4 where the Wakandan Attaché, Chinese Ambassador, and the Indian business rep were cordial and friendly with Magneto. More of that please!
    Last edited by JB; 04-14-2020 at 05:16 AM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

BANNED

there arent any more examples, it wasnt highjacked we simply have no more examples to talk about

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    there arent any more examples, it wasnt highjacked we simply have no more examples to talk about
    Yeah, been trying to think of more from the past but not sure any others exist.

What is this "We" you are referring to? In no way I'm saying there's an infinite amount of examples out there, but you didn't contribute any unless I'm mistaken.

See for yourself:

because the run itself was circular as hell, tried to come up with something new and "special" but ended up at the exact same place in the end as it started.
    it wasnt hopefull, it was simplistic and reductive of mutant issues to a simple case of "lack of empathy" when it was so much more.
    if anything krakoa allows a return to that brand of super heroics witout the x-men looking boot licking fools, neck deep in mutant blood and still trying to serve their way out of genocide like dummies, any mutant that decides to help, of their own accord, will and want, would be 10 times more noble.
    magneto WAS right, but so was xavier, so was the x-men, so was the brotherhood at one point or two, so was the hellfire club, krakoa isnt magneto's vision its a mixture of every mutant faction providing their powers and point of views in a balanced playing field.

because we have seen time and time again with every bi anual "x-men villain becomes a member and everyone teams up" is that they have more in common than not, and as we have seen everytime the x-men perk up their spines and start to not be passive moorons, and decide to stop taking blows to the face with a smile from the rest of the world, all it takes for a mutant to be deemed a villain is a bad day.
    trying the same thing over and over again expecting a difrent outcome is the definition of madness, the previous attempts were not working and mutant misery was pilling up to a level that the x-men had to make the choice to focus on mutants.
    Or be okay with the next time the school explodes, students die and the goverments pass another terrible law witout a single human lifting a finger, like it was for every other year.

Peace requires two participants, humanity has proven time and time again they are not interested, so now the x-men have the means necessary to create a fair playing field its impressive that you care more about what mutants have done to react to atrocities commited agaist them, than the creators of said atrocities.

Also we have an entire issue of showcassing human allies in x force, but you clearly are not reading dawn of x properly
    oh my god that be genius yes please giv us julia
    Dust shows how much of a pile of babies every other teen heroes are, the way she immediatly counters the crazy alien after she tries to kill her.
    you got yourself a deal, carefull with him around time traveling, he leaves furrballs and loses A LOT of hair on the summer, but hes toilet trained
    Because the x-men must be the paragons of purity put to the highest standart as model minorities but also not allowed a shred of the slack the avengers get without any of their priveledge
    The x-men need their own universe where they don't have to worry about avengers or other superheroes where their relantionship is this vile
    also krakoa has allowed a truck-load of villains to simply not be villains anymore, and live their lives in peace and with usefull jobs, single handenly pratically reforming (talking about mutant rights terrorist groups and mutants,like the brotherhood, acolytes, mutant liberation front, etc, not psychos like in hellions) many more villains than shield or any other human organization has ever acomplished.
    because most of those werent necessarly evil, but victims to an immensly stressfull and traumatic status as mutants.
    the x-men werent particulary doing much besides licking boots, krakoa directly solves problems that drove those mutants into villainy in an actually progressive and objective way.

I failed to see any example given in any of your posts in this thread.
    You haven't been looking very far, if at all, based on this.
    I saw plenty of attempt to derail the thread into Something else however, so yes, hijacking is the right word to use.

Here are more examples, just to further the point I just made.

You're welcome.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

While I did appreciate that doctor, that’s what a doctor makes an oath to do. Helping a mutant in a hospital setting shouldn’t be a question. It’s too bad that was the last issue of that run because I would have liked to see more of her. Same with the newscaster. Calling out the bigot is what, I believe, people should normally do. I’m still digging for more “genuinely concerned” moments.

I’d like to see more of humans debating mutant rights and relations. We had protestors outside Buckingham just recently in Excalibur and one attacked Gambit. Would be nice to see the above group or similar counter-protesting.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    But when you say the mutants don't care about humanity or the outside world, despite plenty of examples in the current era, it feels disingenuous.
    Those are exceptions. In the comics characters like Wolverine never would have accepted anyone saying "mutant supremacy" without irony in his presence. They're far from being warm about humans like they used to be. Cyke didn't constantly getting into arguments with Sue Storm over mutant rights until the last few years.

[quote]X-Force has showcased a few:

- The businessman who helped with negotiations between his nation and Krakoa, who also invested heavily in X-Corp.
    - The prominent journalist in Toronto who had published several pro-mutant editorials.
    - And of course the human allies working at Greenspace. I have to imagine that there are human allies working at Xavier's other facilities.

Sadly, all of them were murdered for being mutant supporters. There's an agenda to keep an anti-mutant narrative and silencing any support.
    Which is a sub-plot, not a standard part of the setting.

Thankfully Professor Elise Irene Owsley, "an evolutionary biologist who has long been a staunch defender of mutant rights". Luckily she was saved by Domino and I'm hoping we get to see more of her. Her stance for over a decade has been that mutant sovereignty was an inevitability.
    Is she going to join the supporting cast?

We also had the famous dinner in X-Men #4 where the Wakandan Attaché, Chinese Ambassador, and the Indian business rep were cordial and friendly with Magneto. More of that please!
    The one where Magneto and Apocalypse terrified people at?

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Those are exceptions. In the comics characters like Wolverine never would have accepted anyone saying "mutant supremacy" without irony in his presence. They're far from being warm about humans like they used to be. Cyke didn't constantly getting into arguments with Sue Storm over mutant rights until the last few years.

quoteX-Force has showcased a few:

Which is a sub-plot, not a standard part of the setting.

Is she going to join the supporting cast?

The one where Magneto and Apocalypse terrified people at?
    Terrified? No one was afraid. Gobsmacked is more like it, the nerve of a mutant standing firm. And remember the mutants were aware that two teams of assassins were waiting in the wings to kill them and still Erik kept his composure well enough to have a productive chat. He left with saying "there will be no war".
    For more on Logan's stance, refer to X-Force #2 and Hellions #1.

As for Prof. Owsley, we'll see. I'd like to see more of the humans currently working at the various facilities.
    Last edited by JB; 04-14-2020 at 06:52 AM.

I guess we can also add the Queen to the list. Not exactly "genuinely concerned" but accepting of a mutant as the defender of her land and people.

My Betsy, saving humans while calling out the BS. I love.