Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    "Hey, buddy, you can go stop that imminent pogrom if you want, we give you permission, we stay here" does not seem like an answer that leaves the Avengers very well. . They are about to say "Remember to bring beer when you return".

Like, they're making it clear that that's not their problem, it's just a problem for Logan.
    I have a hard time believing Spider-Man would ever say "not my problem," if anything Logan would probably tell them this is an X-Men problem to deal with and they need to focus on dealing with Osborn on their own tersm.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post

It's actually quite logical that the governments would be infested with anti-mutant sentiment, because they are scared of having their power taken away. What if an inspiring telepathic mutant like Jean Grey became politically powerful enough to be elected to Congress. She could read the minds of her opponents and expose their corruptions and lies. Going to a meeting with Emma Frost, it's almost impossible to trick her into signing a bad faith agreement, because she will always know if you are lying. All of the people who thrive on corruption and lies, politicians and businessmen, they all will hate mutants because of the potential that mutants will expose them for the evil disgusting excuses for humanity that they are.
    Or they could do something like mind control a political opponent into spouting racist rhetoric they don't actually believe in to ruin their reputation and career, forcibly out a gay politician before they're ready to come out or erase everything they know about how to do their job in the first place. And that's just the issues with telepaths. In a meeting with Emma Frost, she is not the one who has anything to worry about, the human does because they have no way to protect themselves from a telepath whose personal history has shown she cares nothing for boundaries and ethics (just ask Storm or Firestar).

Thanks for this thread bc some like to pretend as if its never happened. The Avengers showed up to help the X-men when Bastion tried to eradicate the bulk of the remaining mutant race

There was not Utopía yet
    My mistake on that but what of the rest? Because within the context of the scene, the Avengers couldn’t help because of Dark Reign.
    Last edited by Kurolegacy; 04-07-2020 at 12:47 PM.

There was not Utopía yet
    Yes there was. Utopia was established in UXM 513 AND 514 and Second Coming started in UXM 523 (only referencing the UXM issues)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    My mistake on that but what of the rest? Because within the context of the scene, the Avengers couldn’t help because of Dark Reign.
    No you were right the first time

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Thanks for this thread bc some like to pretend as if its never happened. The Avengers showed up to help the X-men when Bastion tried to eradicate the bulk of the remaining mutant race
    The Avengers showed up because the human city of San Francisco fell off the grid. I guess we can give them credit for not turning around when they found out Mutants were the primary people in trouble? Although it seems they stayed more out of ego than anything else.

It's more of an individual thing, but Marvel Divas had Black Cat, Monica Rambeau and Hellcat supporting Firestar when she had cancer. Justice and Firestar were also Avengers during the Busiek run.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    The Avengers showed up because the human city of San Francisco fell off the grid. I guess we can give them credit for not turning around when they found out Mutants were the primary people in trouble? Although it seems they stayed more out of ego than anything else.
    They still did it and its not like its the only time they've helped mutantkind since then. The showed up in a big way to help in X-men Red

They helped clear Jean's name after the hate campaign Nova tried to smear for all mutants in that book. The Avengers supported and vouched for Jean at the U.N. when she made her speech

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

You’re welcome! From what I’ve seen, there are quite a number of X-Men threads having some posters fully embracing a negative outlook on humanity, which there’s nothing wrong with in of itself. People are free to have negative outlooks after all, though at the same time, I felt it could get negative to the point of being unhealthy/losing some sanity, so just as they’re free to have negative outlooks, I felt it would be reasonable enough to have a more positive, hopeful outlook, at least so long as the outlooks are honest, and academic, and reasonable. Glad to see someone else who feels similarly.

Astonishing Member

They still did it and its not like its the only time they've helped mutantkind since then. The showed up in a big way to help in X-men Red

They helped clear Jean's name after the hate campaign Nova tried to smear for all mutants in that book. The Avengers supported and vouched for Jean at the U.N. when she made her speech
    I remember that ending of X-MEN RED where Taylor ended the run with a hope note and then the X-men disassembled happened and it like they took that hope spot for mutant kind and did a 180 where all humans hate mutants and things look bleak when Roserberg started his Uncanny Run, I felt that sorta negated all Tom Taylor did in X-MEN RED which I didn't like. Its like all the hard work Jean's Team in X-MEN RED was all for nothing.
    Last edited by Rzerox21xx; 04-07-2020 at 02:08 PM.

Astonishing Member

There was an X-Men issue from the 90s where J. Jonah Jameson is approached by Bastion with information revealing the secret identities of the X-Men, but Jameson refuses to publish it, thinking Bastion and his persecution of mutants is the real story:

https://panels-of-interest.tumblr.co...-uncanny-x-men

Now Jameson is often written as a Fox News like personality, who will put opinions above facts and will blame Spider-Man for things that are in no way his fault and Jameson is greedy and opinionated (heck some of the stuff he did in terms of creating the Scorpion and the Spider-Slayers may be illegal), but he is usually presented as being against bigotry. I do not think he likes the X-Men because he thinks they are vigilantes, like Spider-Man, but I do not think he would approve of persecuting random mutant civilians. Also, the fact that Bastion may have murdered one of his reporters is enough to turn Jameson against Bastion.

I think there can be a realistic balance between bigots and allies in the X-Men comics, just likes there is real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    The point about smaller scale-issues hit a nail on the head as well. Before Days of Future Past, any fear towards the mutants (whether irrationally fueled by fears of slavery and what not) seemed to have been more commonly shown with human civilians than those in positions of power. It seemed that it wasn’t until Days of Future Past was published that you saw a shift in just about every government, church, or others in power being aggressively against the mutants more, which I think effectively resulted in any positivity, reasonable positivity, being pushed to the side and made out to be unimportant.
    To be fair, given what we know about structural racism at this point, the government being like this is not off the mark.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 04-07-2020 at 02:30 PM.

They still did it and its not like its the only time they've helped mutantkind since then. The showed up in a big way to help in X-men Red.

I liked this a lot and it seemed like the tide was finally turning on this whole issue. But alas...
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    I remember that ending of X-MEN RED where Taylor ended the run with a hope note and then the X-men disassembled happened and it like they took that hope spot for mutant kind and did a 180 where all humans hate mutants and things look bleak when Roserberg started his Uncanny Run, I felt that sorta negated all Tom Taylor did in X-MEN RED which I didn't like. Its like all the hard work Jean's Team in X-MEN RED was all for nothing.
    That is the real killer. Red actually had small hope things were improving even with one instance, but then Rosenberg went full edgelord with no one to stop him until Hickman came in.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    This is nothing new as there hasn't been any cohesion or continuity in YEARS. Reset after reset.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    That is the real killer. Red actually had small hope things were improving even with one instance, but then Rosenberg went full edgelord with no one to stop him until Hickman came in.
    Wouldn’t be surprised if Hickman read through that and that that dinosaur stomp on an improvement, and not an improvement that denies that prejudice exists either, was the last straw for him, being a big motivating factor to giving mutants more productive peace on Earth.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 04-07-2020 at 09:14 PM.