Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Because it's not really "their story" to tell.
    Regardless of the 'shared' universe in which they live...the X-Men have always operated apart. Unless the story requires SHIELD or the Avengers to step in there really is no need for them to show up.

And I'm quite okies with that.
    We know the "real" reasons for this, but they need to put some excuse in the books. If not, you have embarrassing moments like Cap saying "we didn't help you because we respected you".

Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    The problem is that it is one thing to see the nominal support of people demonstrating, like in those scenes or in Bendis Uncanny. Another thing is that we've never seen something like "Oh, SHIELD has stopped those Purifers" or "The Avengers have dismantled that Sentinel factory."
    Well, I’m reminded of when Captain America made an effort to help out mutants in Uncanny Avengers #2 (January, 2013).

Honestly, I would have loved to see more of humans supporting mutantkind like we see in these presented scenes than the parody of it that the Cult of X is where the humans supporting mutants are basically framed as crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Well, I’m reminded of when Captain America made an effort to help out mutants in Uncanny Avengers #2 (January, 2013).
    Sure, after Scott reproached him. You just have to see moments like this. The rest of the Avengers don't even make a move to help.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    Well we do know that SHIELD was stockpiling anti-mutant weapons, and so was the O.N.E. and Tony Stark contributed to O.N.E. Sentinel Technology to of course keep the mutants properly contained at the mansion and make sure they weren't running around loose! For their own good of course, it's always for their own good! Apartheid policies implemented in the comics is always couched in the phrase of "their own good" or the "common good". This form of institutionalized racism spread to almost the entire world, particularly when the UN was sponsoring forcibly curing mutants against their will and rounding up mutants that resisted being cured. Hence we have the current status quo, the mutant minority fled the world wide oppression and genocide and formed an independent nation where they can defend themselves, and negotiate with the countries of the world by using world economics as a negotiating tactic to get peace treaties in as many countries as possible.

There are people who think the mutants deserve to be helped, we have even seen that in Marauders where the person in naval intelligence is actually concerned that the drug traffickers are trying to falsely make it look like Krakoa is trafficking illicit pollen drugs that are manufactured from Krakoan medicines.

So yeah there are humans out there who still support mutants, they are just fighting against institutionalized racism that permeates nearly every government on the Marvel 616 Earth!
    Was this Civil War Tony? I guess that makes sense.

Sure, after Scott reproached him. You just have to see moments like this. The rest of the Avengers don't even make a move to help.
    That page is probably one of the best indicators of the result when you get writers like Matt Fraction to write human/mutant relations instead of writers like Rick Remender, at least with his approach to Uncanny Avengers #2 anyway. Teams like the Avengers only help out as much as the writer has them help out, and Remender provided quite the contrast to Fraction in that case. Really though, I’d definitely like to see Remender’s approach reasonably play out with a full-hearted spirit behind it. That would probably result in a more reasonably nuanced “realistic” take on mutants, in that the good is important like how it’s important to show the bad.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 04-06-2020 at 03:00 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Was this Civil War Tony? I guess that makes sense.
    Yeah, it was. I would add that in the first arc of Miles Morales: Spider-Man by Saladin Ahmed, Captain America revealed to Miles during a team-up with the Rhino to rescue some kids that had been kidnapped and brainwashed by a villain called the Snatcher that he once had to intervene when S.H.I.E.L.D. started preparing mutant detention camps. Shame we didn't see more pro-mutant solidarity among the superhero community as a whole, aside from relative one-offs like this. Really, if the original Civil War should have taught them anything, it was that they were only one bad day away from having everyone and anyone with powers as hated and feared as any mutant.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    instead of writers like Rick Remender, at least with his approach to Uncanny Avengers #2 anyway.
    Uhhhhhhhhhhh-

-hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-

-hhhhhhhhhh

I know you specified a certain issue, but when that same writer does stuff like this you have to wonder what their intended goal was in the first place. Remender took every chance he could to sh!t on mutants having their own community all the while having the humans on the team act like “well we’re TRYING to help but those muties are just too rowdy and radical.”

We know that there are out-of-universe reasons for why the Avengers and FF don’t help the X-Men but it’s how they built the world.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Having nuanced human beings kind of takes too much panel time away from the X-Narrative.
    Because it is so much easier to just put mutants in the equivalent of Nazi Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    I know you specified a certain issue, but when that same writer does stuff like this you have to wonder what their intended goal was in the first place. Remender took every chance he could to sh!t on mutants having their own community all the while having the humans on the team act like “well we’re TRYING to help but those muties are just too rowdy and radical.”
    Remender can't seem to write teams that get along well.
    We know that there are out-of-universe reasons for why the Avengers and FF don’t help the X-Men but it’s how they built the world.
    It's a shared universe comic problem, like how the Justice League couldn't interfere during No Man's Land even if, by all logic, they should have.

Astonishing Member

Uhhhhhhhhhhh-

-hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-

-hhhhhhhhhh

The non-mutant side should be able to defend themselves when they get poor arguments from the mutant side. They're allowed to criticise each other when they make bad arguments. That Remender had some moments where the non-mutants were able to win arguments isn't a secret anti-mutant agenda. This is the same writer who allowed Rogue to gut Scarlet Witch when she thought she had turned traitor.

Then why aren't you incorporating that into how these stories are made? The characters have no control over bad writing.

That’s not exactly a fair assessment at that time due to that happening during Dark Reign where the Avengers were wanted for the combination of their opposition of the SRA and Osborn. They were functioning underground. It’s not like they could just go everywhere freely.

BANNED

To be fair, the F4 and Avengers did try to help, but only when things got so dire, they couldn't just sit on their asses (in this case, when the red force field came up). So, Fraction actually got it right.

Well, in reference to what I said with the “full-hearted spirit,” that’s pretty much what I was referring to, in that half a spirit is with Cap helping out the mutants, but the other half that’s missing? Well, those panels you listed would probably best symbolize that empty half of the spirit, or perhaps as some others would put it, “half-hearted.” So then, it would be quite nice and surely worthwhile to see an attempt that wasn’t quite so half-hearted. If that’s how they “built the world,” as you put it, then perhaps some redecorating of the world could reasonably be in order. After all, Hickman’s run has shown quite a bit of redecoration, so if he could accomplish that, then I suppose that could allude to the potential other full-hearted writers could accomplish.