Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Goku and Vegeta have the exact same trainer

Starting from when they were infants, both Goku and Vegeta have the exact same trainer.

Their training regimen, diet, philosophy, move set and all that are all the exact same.

Who will win in a fight if they both had the same training routines?

I've always wondered because Goku takes a more natural approach to training while Vegeta's seems inefficient and redundant (spamming the spirit room, 100x gravity and so on), which I felt was a contributing factor to why one is always so ahead of the other.

Taking that out of the equation, which one actually wins in a fight of raw potential and talent?

I was under the impression that, under Whis, they've more or less reached parity in terms of power. The differences are in how that's manifested in their latest forms as a result of their personalities; Ultra Instinct for Goku reflecting his adaptability and Royal Blue for Vegeta reflecting his stubborn tenacity.

Think you kinda hit the nail on the head, though. Vegeta trains harder, but Goku trains smarter.

Gramps got it. It showed in Cell Saga that agony is a training genius compared to Vegira. Vegita has drive, but that has limits.

Quote Originally Posted by grampagen View Post
    I was under the impression that, under Whis, they've more or less reached parity in terms of power. The differences are in how that's manifested in their latest forms as a result of their personalities; Ultra Instinct for Goku reflecting his adaptability and Royal Blue for Vegeta reflecting his stubborn tenacity.

Think you kinda hit the nail on the head, though. Vegeta trains harder, but Goku trains smarter.
    If anything, Vegeta's evolved Blue form is more comparable to Kaioken x20 Blue Goku, rather than Ultra Instinct.

I’ve always wondered, does Vegetas royal heritage give him some inherent edge in raw potential? Or was that the original king just pumping his sons ego?

Vegeta's inherent base power was higher, but in his /own/ words, Goku has the edge in raw potential.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Vegeta's inherent base power was higher, but in his /own/ words, Goku has the edge in raw potential.
    In the case of King kai being one of Goku trainers and teachers, I can say I've personally thought that it was due to him that Goku is what he is now, simply due to King Kai being that good of a trainer, that along with the technique he's taught him, and in regards to him being better at training himself than Vegeta is at training himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirika View Post
    In the case of King kai being one of Goku trainers and teachers, I can say I've personally thought that it was due to him that Goku is what he is now, simply due to King Kai being that good of a trainer, that along with the technique he's taught him, and in regards to him being better at training himself than Vegeta is at training himself.
    You have a point there i think.

It seems to me that Vegeta has always been self taught (up until Whis), but Goku has had many masters to teach him like Roshi and King Kai, and the dudes on Yardrat.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moonknight11 View Post
    You have a point there i think.

It seems to me that Vegeta has always been self taught (up until Whis), but Goku has had many masters to teach him like Roshi and King Kai, and the dudes on Yardrat.
    This, I think, is the key thing. Historically, Vegeta's pride has stood in the way of him getting the most out of his training because he doesn't take direction well and he generally works alone.

These days, he's a lot more open to it. Age has softened him on that front and having Whis as perhaps the best teacher possible is very useful to him.

Currently in the manga, he's training on Yardrat and learning, potentially, a bunch of weird stuff.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 04-07-2020 at 08:43 AM.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I've watched Dragonball from Dragonball to Dragonball GT. If Goku and Vegeta were both students with the same trainer?

Goku would definitely be the star student

- He's more naturally talented
    - He would listen and respect his trainer/other students
    - Goku is also a more curious soul. Vegeta always thought he is superior. Goku would explore and learn from others.

Vegeta usually looked down on Goku and Goku always evolved/surpassed first. Vegeta was second

I never saw Vegeta's Appeal. I found Piccolo to be a better rival but his character was basically thrown away.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 04-07-2020 at 08:34 AM.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

That's certainly something that was said, but Veggie also spent an awful lot of time extolling the unbeatability of a Saiyan Elite versus a low class warrior. This sounds more like Vegeta ex post facto changing the narrative to fit the reality.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    I've watched Dragonball from Dragonball to Dragonball GT. If Goku and Vegeta were both students with the same trainer?

Goku would definitely be the star student

- He's more naturally talented
    - He would listen and respect his trainer/other students
    - Goku is also a more curious soul. Vegeta always thought he is superior. Goku would explore and learn from others.

Vegeta usually looked down on Goku and Goku always evolved/surpassed first. Vegeta was second

I never saw Vegeta's Appeal. I found Piccolo to be a better rival but his character was basically thrown away.
    Vegeta experienced more character growth, as difficult or as partial as it has been, than anybody else in the series. Goku has always been Goku. Vegeta went from space Stalin to a mildly disagreeable, somewhat stubborn, somewhat prideful, but otherwise protective and relatively decent father and husband. He doesn't beat his wife, he doesn't smack his kids around, he doesn't mentally or physically bully anyone, and oh yeah he's sacrificed his life more than once (remember, both Potara fusions were supposed to be permanent) to save those he cares for.
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Vegeta experienced more character growth, as difficult or as partial as it has been, than anybody else in the series. Goku has always been Goku. Vegeta went from space Stalin to a mildly disagreeable, somewhat stubborn, somewhat prideful, but otherwise protective and relatively decent father and husband. He doesn't beat his wife, he doesn't smack his kids around, he doesn't mentally or physically bully anyone, and oh yeah he's sacrificed his life more than once (remember, both Potara fusions were supposed to be permanent) to save those he cares for.
    The original scenario had Goku and Vegeta as young students. I didn't notice Vegeta's real character growth until near the end of the Cell Era

Character growth, yes, Vegeta changed more than Goku. Not sure I agree with all those points. In the future Bulma was practically depressed and Trunks resented Vegeta for the pain he caused his mother. Trunks growing up in present time, Vegeta was definitely a better guy and spent time with his kid. I remember the sacrifice he made against Majin Buu. So father, yeah, Vegeta definitely grew. Husband? Bulma often complained she was the bread maker, and all Vegeta did was train. Not even take out the trash.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 04-07-2020 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    That's certainly something that was said, but Veggie also spent an awful lot of time extolling the unbeatability of a Saiyan Elite versus a low class warrior. This sounds more like Vegeta ex post facto changing the narrative to fit the reality.
    Your next post expands on the fact that Vegeta has shown character growth and done some learning.

He has no problem acknowledging raw potential when he sees it. Even in Super, he flat out states that "Gohan has the greatest combat potential out of anyone", or something along those lines.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Your next post expands on the fact that Vegeta has shown character growth and done some learning.

He has no problem acknowledging raw potential when he sees it. Even in Super, he flat out states that "Gohan has the greatest combat potential out of anyone", or something along those lines.
    Oh I get that, and I am most definitely not arguing, just putting a point out there. ��