Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
  1. #1
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    582

    Default Bat-dickery : stories where Batman came off as a jerk.

    How about : the Btas episode where clayface needed adiamond to power a machine to keep him fr dissolving. Batman stuck his nose in at the wrong time and we ended up with Matt Hagen seemingly killed and batsy stuck with his sobbing girlfriend.
    What are some other incidents?

  2. #2
    Mighty Member Katana500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,158

    Default

    He treats the Batfamily pretty badly quite alot. And it really annoys me cause it makes him unlikeable.

    Punching Red Hood in the face after his friends vanished has to be up there. Aswell as punching Nightwing in the face during the Court of Owls debacle.

  3. #3
    Mighty Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    1,613

    Default

    How about the JLA story Tower of Babel where Ras used Batman's own files to attack the League. And in the end Batman saw nothing wrong with plans on how to bring down the league even though they were stolen. He has a very self righteous attitude towards this.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

    Pull List - Lois Lane, Amazing Mary Jane, Black Cat, Doctor Doom, Gwen Stacy, Jane Foster Valkyrie, Morbius Savage Avengers, Strike Force, Something Is Killing The Children


    Baby Blob's Comic Blog - https://sites.google.com/view/my-comic-journey/home Updates every Wednesday at 10 Am and Saturday at 7 Pm.

  4. #4
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    319

    Default

    More times than not, almost all "modern" ones.
    (Modern ones being over the last 20ish Years).

  5. #5
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Hamburg
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Can I nominate almost the entire Tom King run?

  6. #6
    Astonishing Member K7P5V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    2,649

    Default

    How about the time Batman & Green Lantern first met, and Bats swipes Hal's ring:


  7. #7
    Astonishing Member Tzigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,256

    Default

    How big a jerk are we talking - does someone have to be harmed?

    I haven't read it, but I heard after he was healed from his broken back that when Barbara was on call with him and asked about it, he just hung up on her without answering her. No one is harmed by him doing that, but...

    Tim's 16th birthday and that lesson/test.

    The way he treated both Tim and Steph after Tim quit as Robin.

    "The last time you really inspired anyone was when you were dead" to Superman

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member Tzigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    How about the time Batman & Green Lantern first met, and Bats swipes Hal's ring:

    See, that's friggin Batgod (along with Batdick) stuff there. Should not happen. Just irritates me even seeing it. Without context my first thought is that it serves no purpose other than to demean/diminish another character at Batman's expense to make him look more badass.

  9. #9
    Fantastic Member Gotham citizen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    417

    Default

    Can I vote for Murderer/Fugitive?

    Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    How about the time Batman & Green Lantern first met, and Bats swipes Hal's ring:

    If I remember well in that scene Green Lantern was mocking Batman because of he doesn't have any superpower and he reacted in that way, showing why he is in the Justice League; even without powers.

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member Tzigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    Can I vote for Murderer/Fugitive?



    If I remember well in that scene Green Lantern was mocking Batman because of he doesn't have any superpower and he reacted in that way, showing why Batman is Batman, even without powers.
    Yeah, Hal definitely went assy sometimes (which I also didn't like). But I don't like "I'm Batman" an actual viable response to anything. And Batman still should not be able to do that. The whole setup of the scene, even with Hal mocking, seems to serve only the purpose of putting down other characters to show off Batman's badassery. Hell, Hal mocking is likely only there to further Batman's coolness factor, rather than being an actual intrinsic trait to him. Maybe I'm wrong about that - haven't read this one - but it's just my knee-jerk reaction to any such scene now - that it's being written specifically to diminish others and further Batman (that others behave badly so Batman can "school" them). That he must always "win" - I've read too many of that case to give the benefit of the doubt anymore.

  11. #11
    Fantastic Member Gotham citizen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    417

    Default

    Generally speaking I agree with your point, even if in this particular case I have the feeling the purpose of the scene was to create a moment of humor in the story, not to glorify Batman.

  12. #12
    Mighty Member Blue22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Astralabius View Post
    Can I nominate almost the entire Tom King run?
    I second this.

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    He treats the Batfamily pretty badly quite alot. And it really annoys me cause it makes him unlikeable.
    I second this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    More times than not, almost all "modern" ones.
    (Modern ones being over the last 20ish Years).
    I'd say the last 30ish years.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    How big a jerk are we talking - does someone have to be harmed?

    I haven't read it, but I heard after he was healed from his broken back that when Barbara was on call with him and asked about it, he just hung up on her without answering her. No one is harmed by him doing that, but...

    Tim's 16th birthday and that lesson/test.

    The way he treated both Tim and Steph after Tim quit as Robin.

    "The last time you really inspired anyone was when you were dead" to Superman
    All great examples.

    I think the last time I liked Batman was the Bronze age.

  14. #14
    Fantastic Member Gaius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    415

    Default

    Not a comic but in the DCAU Justice League two-parter "Twilight", Batman telling Superman to get over being mind-controlled and used as a weapon by Darkseid against Earth is pretty ballsy coming from a man who dresses up like a bat because of dead parents. Superman is portrayed as irrational, for some reason, of not wanting to help Darkseid against Brainiac. The episode then unintentionally showed Superman was completely right; it was a trap, he was nearly mindjacked by Brainiac, and New Genesis was nearly destroyed as a result.

    Episode should have ended with the whole League lining up to apologize to Superman, with Batman up front.

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    4,593

    Default

    Forgetting or not attending Damian's birthday because he has League business I can understand because you know, it tends to be world-ending stuff, but when confronted about it later, he said: "I'm here now, aren't I?"

    Blaming or just not caring about others when he's grieving, too many.
    Jason died, punched Dick
    Damian died, kidnap and dissect Frankenstein, forced Jason to relive the trauma of his own death so he can find a clue on how to resurrect Damian.
    Alfred died, can't spend time to make sure Damian knows that it's not his fault. Claiming Damian knows it's not his fault when he obviously not. At least he doesn't hit anyone this time so it's an improvement.

    As a comparison, there's a part in video game Ace Attorney where a kid unknowingly played a part in the murder of her own aunt. Daughter of a said aunt, who's also almost killed and then accused murdering her own mother, decided to postpone her own mourning, to make sure the kid knows she's not at fault.

    But the most annoying thing is every time this happens it's almost always because they want to set something up. Whether to show how much Batman is altered/traumatized/unhinged or because there's going to be an event that will bring the family back together, yay

    We know and we're bored
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 04-06-2020 at 08:01 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •