Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Why can't Superman be like all the other heroes who kill bad guys after a loved one dies, instead of killing good guys?

Well, superman kills both good guys and bad guys at the same time after his loved one dies. So rejoice! he is truly unbiased and fair,like death. He will come to all. Sometimes faster, sometimes slower. But, none shall escape . They should create a death god superman. A superman who went bonkers just kills and destroys everything and everyone at full strength . A real fenrir wolf.A great horror movie indeed. That brightburn movie did make its money back. Didn't it?
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 04-07-2020 at 12:51 PM.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I started re-reading the Injustice Superman Omnibus because of this thread, I re-read Superman Red Son because of the animated film and the thread about that too. I like the evil Superman stories because he gets to be the "Overdog", they seem to let his powers do whatever whenever they turn him evil. I think these "Not Superman" adaptations help re-define the character. I think a live action movie could work, but it might come off as an R-rated Into The Spiderverse.(I do think the Spiderverse route is the way to go for a Superman film.)

Already had my meltdown about this. In short:
    1. This is going to happen at some point. We got lucky that Snyder got sacked before he could do his Evil Superman stuff, but that’s merely kicking it down the road
    2. I hope we get Superman stuff that portrays him in a positive way, bad enough his only video game portrayal is in those games, I really don’t want his only film presence to be more Batwank projects
    3. So sick of this story. Just utterly fed up with it. Origins, deaths, turns to evil, ffs DO SOMETHING ELSE!

They made a movie that sort of ties into the Arkham series, so an Injustice movie doesn't seem unreasonable.

But my question would be why? The last game is nearly 3 years old, and nowhere near its peak popularity. Assault on Arkham came out between Arkham Origins and Arkham Knight, so the timing of that release worked as a cross-promotion. Midway even pushed Mortal Kombat 11 ahead of Injustice 2 as their featured game for Evo 2019.

Injustice Superman is the least-inspired and least-nuanced EVIL SUPERMAN! of the bunch. And I say this thinking the Justice Lords are the most overrated aspect of the old cartoons. I also don't want any part of heroic Harley if we're saddled with EVIL SUPERMAN!
    The comics. They sell really well and they sell well over time. Hell I just checked ComiXology and they’re still selling well. And why wouldn’t they? It’s God knows how many issues of C-Listers getting slaughtered while Batgod rallies the troops and SuperHitler and WW cripple protesters. If you’re someone who likes “Marvel and Batman” it’s the perfect story for you because the only one who looks good is Batman. Batman in Injustice is merely a moron. Superman is both a moron AND mustache twirling evil. The whole story is tailor made to appeal to casuals.
    Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    As a gamer I can enjoy Injustice for what it is. Take the tone deaf version of Harley out and maybe put a ‘U’ instead of an ‘S’ on his chest and it’s not bad at all.
    But it’s been over done. And if you look at the popularity of Metal and the Batman who Laughs, maybe it’s time for an evil Batman story instead. Balance things out a bit.
    As petty as it may be, that’s exactly why I enjoy BWL. After all these evil Superman stories I’m actually happy to get evil Batman stories. I just want one where Lex Luthor breaks Batman. Feels only fair after Injustice starts with Joker repeatedly talking about how stupid Superman is and how easy he was to fool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Only character who’d get it worse with an Injustice movie than Superman is Wonder Woman.
    Totally agree. Taylor... tried to explain Superman. Didn’t succeed but he tried. WW is just awful. Her motivation is simply “I love fascism and Supercock and now I can get both of those at once!” That actually might end up putting this off. The WW characterization is so incredibly bad, I don’t know how audiences would accept her.
    Why can't Superman be like all the other heroes who kill bad guys after a loved one dies, instead of killing good guys?

Well he’s killed Doomsday!

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurk View Post
    I mostly agree, but the Red Son remark does not fit in the post. I assume you never read it?
    Of course, I've read it. I actually nearly left that out of the post, but I referenced Red Son because it's another story where Batman gets some moral high ground and gets to beat the **** out of Superman again.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

True, but Snyder conceptually envisioned that he was one dead Lois away from becoming Injustice Superman.
    One dead Lois and being mind controlled by Darkseid. People seem to really like ignoring that important bit of context.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I started re-reading the Injustice Superman Omnibus because of this thread, I re-read Superman Red Son because of the animated film and the thread about that too. I like the evil Superman stories because he gets to be the "Overdog", they seem to let his powers do whatever whenever they turn him evil. I think these "Not Superman" adaptations help re-define the character. I think a live action movie could work, but it might come off as an R-rated Into The Spiderverse.(I do think the Spiderverse route is the way to go for a Superman film.)
    Nah! Some overdog he got squashed by batman again in injustice 2.it wasn't even kara that beats him.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I started re-reading the Injustice Superman Omnibus because of this thread, I re-read Superman Red Son because of the animated film and the thread about that too. I like the evil Superman stories because he gets to be the "Overdog", they seem to let his powers do whatever whenever they turn him evil.
    DCAU did exactly that. Superman was pretty weak in STAS, and everyone knows that. Then, in Batman Beyond, he was surprisingly really strong. They completely amped his strength, speed, and durability, most impressively lifting an ocean liner, catching a collapsing skyscraper, and casually outpacing the Batmobile that peaked at mach 2 velocity. It's almost as though the writers want you to notice how much more powerful Superman was compared to the original series. The catch, of course, was that they revealed at the end of the first half of the two-parter that Superman was actually the bad guy. Time passes and the Justice League cartoon comes out, and Superman goes back to his pathetic STAS baseline. We don't get a competently-powered Superman until after the fans on the internet voice their complaints.

I get that basic writing usually calls for our heroes not to seem so unstoppable, but it makes you wonder what parts of the character you're willing to tradeoff when aspects of it are being poorly done.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The comics. They sell really well and they sell well over time. Hell I just checked ComiXology and they’re still selling well. And why wouldn’t they? It’s God knows how many issues of C-Listers getting slaughtered while Batgod rallies the troops and SuperHitler and WW cripple protesters. If you’re someone who likes “Marvel and Batman” it’s the perfect story for you because the only one who looks good is Batman. Batman in Injustice is merely a moron. Superman is both a moron AND mustache twirling evil. The whole story is tailor made to appeal to casuals.

As petty as it may be, that’s exactly why I enjoy BWL. After all these evil Superman stories I’m actually happy to get evil Batman stories. I just want one where Lex Luthor breaks Batman. Feels only fair after Injustice starts with Joker repeatedly talking about how stupid Superman is and how easy he was to fool.

Totally agree. Taylor... tried to explain Superman. Didn’t succeed but he tried. WW is just awful. Her motivation is simply “I love fascism and Supercock and now I can get both of those at once!” That actually might end up putting this off. The WW characterization is so incredibly bad, I don’t know how audiences would accept her.

Well he’s killed Doomsday!
    They wouldn't. Which is one of the reasons I don't see this happening. To the public Gal Gadot IS Wonder Woman. I don't see her signing on for something like this. After all the little girls coming up to her telling her what an inspiration WW is to them there's no way she'd butcher that good will by portraying an evil version. And anyone else they would get would just confuse the public. This would not be a movie for the general public. It would be, like you said, a movie for people who hate Superman and love Batman. Keep in mind, the guy proposing this created Mortal Kombat and probably has some kind of financial stake in the company that makes the game. It's not like this is just some random thought he had. He has a financial stake in this happening. I could see an animated movie down the line but they're not hiring a cast the size of COIE just for a five minute cameo where Superman kills them off.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

In Taylor's defense, he was stuck with the characterization of Wonder Woman from the games and admitted elsewhere he had no idea how to write a Wonder Woman that becomes like she was in Injustice. There was an origin explained in an Annual but it wasn't particularly good and given it was years after the franchise had been going it was a little "too little, too late" for my tastes. So the game developers/writers deserves more blame for that than Taylor trying to make lemonade out of rotten lemons.

But yeah, Injustice Wonder Woman is probably the most shallow characterization/depiction of her in pretty much any media featuring her.
    Last edited by Gaius; 04-08-2020 at 12:31 PM.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Wonder Woman is pretty awful, both in Red Son and in what I have so far re-read from Injustice. In both cases she comes off as having no direction except for wanting to help Superman do anything. Odd, she would be lined up to take him down? I went looking for some old "Evil Superman" stories and I happened upon Action Comics 311-312. It's definitely worth looking up. I don't think an Injustice Superman would make a good live action movie. I think it would work as a Dark Metal or Flashpoint style animated movie. I think Injustice Superman would work as a villain in a live action Superman movie. How about the Supermen of the Multiverse vs. the evil Supermen of the Multiverse? Then again, the Boys was a good series and I would watch another movie from the Brightburn universe!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Wait wait wait I don't get it if people don't like Superman neck-snapping Zod why would they like Super Dictator? Let them try, it's gonna be torn apart. The gaming community isn't the same as the general public.

I have to admit though when the first Injustice came out I was interested in the premise until the word "Meanwhile at a different reality" sentence show up and I was like... oh... of course... they wouldn't dare... even though the game is a different universe already. I was disappointed that they didn't just make the Injustice universe the main one and had to explain to people that Superman isn't really bad.

...Until I saw the story because they kinda explain nothing and Wonder Woman is particularly bad, but it's still a different universe so I didn't care that much

... but then at the end of Injustice, the main Superman said he will turn out like Injustice Superman if the same thing happen to him. That's where I draw the line.

Its just the way DC views Superman. They'll never do it to him unless they make sure to qualify it as an alternate reality or something, but they view Superman as a guy who needs his bubble if he were to lose it, he'd lose it. Only way that mindset goes away is when creative minds within DC largely change with the passage of time. And even then who knows if the next generation just doesn't subscribe to it as well.

That said while I accept that, I really don't need a major motion pictured focusing on it.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-08-2020 at 12:22 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    Of course, I've read it. I actually nearly left that out of the post, but I referenced Red Son because it's another story where Batman gets some moral high ground and gets to beat the **** out of Superman again.
    I would not really call that moral high ground but yeah, it did lead to a them fighting re-enactment. I thought you piled it to the Superman is evil again pile which is the opposite of what Red Son is trying to tell.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

If they were doing something like an Into the Spider-verse type Superman movie, he could be the main villain or something but that's as close to a movie as you're likely to get.
    Assassinate Putin!