Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Spider-Men

Why should I? Just a couple of users in an internet forum are not a decent sample to infer such conclusions. And yes, I have heard that claim, but some time ago I wrote the Wikipedia article about Ultimate Marvel... and could not find a reference for it anywhere. Widespread rejection of Ultimatum, or Ultimates 3, yes. But Ultimate Marvel as a whole? Nothing. In fact, every such source that talks about the line, invariably mentions its huge influence on the MCU.
    A couple of users aren't worth listening to, but one singular user (being you) is right about everything. Something about the math on that one strikes me as wrong.

Nick Fury and the Ultimates do not appear in Into the Spider Verse, and never will, for a very simple reason: Sony does not have the rights for those characters. Even you should be able to understand that. As for Nick Fury & the Ultimates... have you heard about an adaptation of them, called the MCU?
    If that was an adaption, then it was a really horrible one, as the characters and events shown in the MCU were almost nothing like the Ultimate Universe (and thank God for that.) Can you picture the movie Hulk as a cannibal? Captain America saying that his A doesn't stand for France?

The biggest similarities were the costumes, as was previously mentioned, and in most cases those costumes just boiled down to what the superheroes normally wore, except with realistic fabrics and seams.

On a different note, have you ever heard of the Heroes Reborn Universe? It was an earlier attempt t modernize the Marvel universe, and used quite a few of the same ideas the Ultimate would later use, such as Nick Fury and SHIELD be responsible for the creation of the Avengers (along with Hawkeye already being an agent of SHIELD.)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    A couple of users aren't worth listening to, but one singular user (being you) is right about everything. Something about the math on that one strikes me as wrong.
    That's because of a simple reason: when I say that we are not a good sample to infer things about the audience at large, I'm including myself. "Sample" here is a term from statistics, check here if you need more info. Think of us in this thread as the "sample" and the complete fandom as the "population" (another term from statistics), and you should understand why just 3 or 4 people can not be a decent sample of anything.

So, when we discuss about facts, I say facts that can be easily checked elsewhere, not needing to take my word for it. For example, in the MCU SHIELD is dismantled in "The Winter Soldier". I say it's because of the backstage conflict between film and TV studios, and provide a link to a site that has the full details about it. You say that it's because they did not like the role of SHIELD... and it may be interesting to know which is your source for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    That's because of a simple reason: when I say that we are not a good sample to infer things about the audience at large, I'm including myself. "Sample" here is a term from statistics, check here if you need more info. Think of us in this thread as the "sample" and the complete fandom as the "population" (another term from statistics), and you should understand why just 3 or 4 people can not be a decent sample of anything.

So, when we discuss about facts, I say facts that can be easily checked elsewhere, not needing to take my word for it. For example, in the MCU SHIELD is dismantled in "The Winter Soldier". I say it's because of the backstage conflict between film and TV studios, and provide a link to a site that has the full details about it. You say that it's because they did not like the role of SHIELD... and it may be interesting to know which is your source for that.
    Your "proof" was pure speculation right down to the fact that the article even says "whether they admit it or not," and well as "look at how these people pause when asked a question."
    My proof was literally telling you what the plot of the movie that you can watch for yourself was about.

"You people here don't count. My opinion doesn't count either but other people elsewhere agree so I'm still right. That's how statics work."
    Try pulling the other one, buddy.

You might also want to look up what "facts" actually are. You seem to have mistaken them for your own person opinion and conspiracy theories.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Ultimate Marvel was great. It was and is still hugely influential.
    Early MCU was very Ultimate, and even modern MCU has a few hints of it.
    Ultimate Fury came across like a shady dick because he IS a shady dick. Doesn’t mean he’s a bad character.

The MCU can cherry pick everything from any universe in Marvel, we can’t deny they have took a lot of elements from the Ultimate Universe.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Ultimate Marvel was great. It was and is still hugely influential.
    Early MCU was very Ultimate, and even modern MCU has a few hints of it.
    Ultimate Fury came across like a shady dick because he IS a shady dick. Doesn’t mean he’s a bad character.

The MCU can cherry pick everything from any universe in Marvel, we can’t deny they have took a lot of elements from the Ultimate Universe.
    The point is that some people think that choosing some elements of Ultimate Marvel is a validation of every facet of Ultimate Marvel. Specifically they think it's a validation of the extreme violence and jerkier characterizations in those stories.

Ultimate Marvel was influential yes, but only for some elements and not others. Bryan Hitch's artwork, yeah that has been influential. Mark Millar's writing and characterization, that has been far less so, at least as far as Ultimate Marvel goes. The problem is that people credit the latter when describing the work of the former.

Similarly crediting Bendis' work in Ultimate Spider-Man doesn't mean that Ultimate Fantastic Four, Ultimate X-men, and The Ultimates are also great by association. Or that Bendis' non-USM work is also great.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The point is that some people think that choosing some elements of Ultimate Marvel is a validation of every facet of Ultimate Marvel. Specifically they think it's a validation of the extreme violence and jerkier characterizations in those stories.

Ultimate Marvel was influential yes, but only for some elements and not others. Bryan Hitch's artwork, yeah that has been influential. Mark Millar's writing and characterization, that has been far less so, at least as far as Ultimate Marvel goes. The problem is that people credit the latter when describing the work of the former.

Similarly crediting Bendis' work in Ultimate Spider-Man doesn't mean that Ultimate Fantastic Four, Ultimate X-men, and The Ultimates are also great by association. Or that Bendis' non-USM work is also great.
    Maybe not characterisation, but I think Millars plotting certainly has been influential. The Triskellion, Fury and SHIELD being the origins of The Avengers. Black Widow/Hawkeye being a super-duo working for SHIELD.

There’s a lot there.

As I said, the MCU and why other media has the liberty to cherry pick from any comic. I think now they’re leaning more towards the MCU stories solely because the stories they tell are “bigger” and they have the budget to accommodate that