Default Starter Present Ideas

Hi all,

Wondered if you can help me out? I’m trying to do a hamper for my boyfriend for his birthday so he can enjoy things in lockdown and wanted to chuck in an X-men comic. Now I always used to give Astonishing X-Men by Whedon as a go to, easy jump in, point of access - plus I loved it. However, want to see if there’s anything better? He knows characters but has never read the comics (prefers Anime).

I was wondering PoX/HoX which I loved, but couldn’t tell if I would love it as a brand new reader (would movies reveal still be as cool?!)

I’m also uncertain if I’m planning it for a ‘jump in and keep reading’ point or just a good collection to enjoy.

Look forward to suggestions!

I think HoX/PoX would be great for someone who's only familiar with characters. Full of familiar faces and Because it's such a big jump from the previous status quo its a great opportunity to check it out just for sake of reading it - any "what happened to get us here?" head-scratching is fine because its really anyones guess lol

As s standalone story I think theres plenty of fun, fascinating concepts, great character interactions - pretty much everything you could want in a comic. The catch is, as you know, its very much a prologue and im not sure how satisfying it would feel to someone who doesn't plan to read further. That being said I cant imagine reading it and then not wanting to know what comes next - you may just make a convert out of him (always appreciated and encouraged)

I think its so sweet of you to do something like this for him! Its a great time to share the things we love with one another. Hope you both enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant_Lover View Post
    Hi all,

Wondered if you can help me out? I’m trying to do a hamper for my boyfriend for his birthday so he can enjoy things in lockdown and wanted to chuck in an X-men comic. Now I always used to give Astonishing X-Men by Whedon as a go to, easy jump in, point of access - plus I loved it. However, want to see if there’s anything better? He knows characters but has never read the comics (prefers Anime).

I was wondering PoX/HoX which I loved, but couldn’t tell if I would love it as a brand new reader (would movies reveal still be as cool?!)

I’m also uncertain if I’m planning it for a ‘jump in and keep reading’ point or just a good collection to enjoy.

Look forward to suggestions!
    Very nice gesture! My brother recently wanted to explore my comics in our parents' attic and he gravitated toward contained stories like Dark Phoenix Saga and X-Tinction Agenda. He wasn't really looking to stay onboard so he liked the beginning/ending stories.

You could try something like that or if you want him to dip his toe into becoming a regular reader, HoX/Pox is perfect. If you think they might be too dense for him as a new reader, then maybe the new X-Force/Marauders/New Mutants to get a taste of the new status quo and then he could always go back to the Hickman origins if he wants more.

Good luck!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I think a tpb of Astonishing is great for a new fan. HoX/PoX is amazing but I think would lose something without prior knowledge of the background of the X-Men.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.