Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Ha niiiice. Very Nice... BendisXMen are missing right? No Triage, HijacK, Tempus or Morph
    5 lights aren't there either
    But I'm really upset about...
    No Artie, No Leech, No Rusty or Skids
    and
    Noooo Wizkid :/
    This drawing was made in 2013. They hardly existed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Leaving out Cable and Emma Frost, it appears that the famous X-men lineups seem to end with the 1991/1992 (X-men #1/TAS) team. As in that being the point where all the most famous characters of the franchise have been established. So one could say 2000 is allready too generous. Everything past that does indeed seem to depend on the preference of the artist or editorial demand to put the current rosters into spotlight.
    Likewise most "classic X-men team" artwork end at the early 90's team, with the 00's and 10's having been unable to form a "classic" lineup for their decades.

I don't mean this to downplay additions from the last 2 decades, but just noticing that none seem to have become "classics" (save for X-23). With the most stable characters remaining those allready introduced until 1991.

Nostalgia both by readers and writers might indeed be a major reason here.
    That's because the 90s is when the Sliding Timescale fully went into effect. Up until the then the characters were being allowed to age in relatively real time. There was a sense of growth. When the New Mutants came along there was a real sense that they were the "next generation" and that it actually MEANT something. Jean died, Scott married Madelyne and retired. AND CLAREMONT INTENDED THAT TO BE PERMANENT.

IMO things would have been MUCH better off had that been allowed to stick, because then new characters would actually have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    That's because the 90s is when the Sliding Timescale fully went into effect. Up until the then the characters were being allowed to age in relatively real time. There was a sense of growth. When the New Mutants came along there was a real sense that they were the "next generation" and that it actually MEANT something. Jean died, Scott married Madelyne and retired. AND CLAREMONT INTENDED THAT TO BE PERMANENT.

IMO things would have been MUCH better off had that been allowed to stick, because then new characters would actually have a chance.
    It could never have worked because they share the universe with other characters who are not allowed to grow old, like Spider-man.

O5 are about the same age as Peter Parker.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    It could never have worked because they share the universe with other characters who are not allowed to grow old, like Spider-man.

O5 are about the same age as Peter Parker.
    Even Peter was being allowed to grow up through the 80s and early part of the 90s. That was part of what Quesada wanted to undo with OMD.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    Love yours... I wish this was even bigger and had The New X-Men kids. I’m glad Sage is in your!
    Thanks!

Yeah I would want the New X-Men kids and the new Gen X kids. Maybe add Christian Frost and Shade as well.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Likewise most "classic X-men team" artwork end at the early 90's team, with the 00's and 10's having been unable to form a "classic" lineup for their decades.

I don't mean this to downplay additions from the last 2 decades, but just noticing that none seem to have become "classics" (save for X-23). With the most stable characters remaining those allready introduced until 1991.
    I'd argue the 2000's "classic" lineup would be Whedon's Astonishing. Maybe not read by everyone but I feel like I've see its covers used in all kinds of promo and it accounts for characters that that had important arcs over the course of the aughts and into the 10s as well as characters that are simply recognizable to a wider, less familiar audience.

In terms of the 2010s I totally agree lol. very scattershot decade. I'd say the Disassembled lineup would be best for promo the way Astonishing was simply because it has some of the best costume designs and showcases a dynamic variety of characters but its drowned out by downsides - its in no way "iconic" in a traditional sense, few of the characters had major storylines running through the past ten years and it happened at the very very end of the decade and lasted all of five minutes

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    I'd argue the 2000's "classic" lineup would be Whedon's Astonishing.
    Came here to say this. plus the only difference between Morrison and Whedon is the swap of Jean for Kitty, which happens ALL the time. Kitty is the Phoenix band-aid.

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    In terms of the 2010s I totally agree lol. very scattershot decade.
    The 2010s belonged to the X-Forces.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Came here to say this. plus the only difference between Morrison and Whedon is the swap of Jean for Kitty, which happens ALL the time. Kitty is the Phoenix band-aid.

All the time? Wouldnt you say thats an exageration?

As for the 2010s, I wouldnt say any one lineup stands out bc there was so much flux during this time. I think any drawing should use the most prominent X-men during this time and IMO it was Cyclops, Wolverine, Emma, Psylocke, Magik and Magneto. Thats more in line with Gillen's team with maybe Hope thrown in and if not, the teen Jean Grey for sure.
    Last edited by Havok83; 04-08-2020 at 01:50 PM.

Was it you I was discussing the full-maturation of franchise occurred around 2000? And that everything since is desperation and nostalgia?
    I don’t think so, though that sounds like a conversation I could’ve partaken in.

Is Armor flying?

Agreed. To me there is 5 distinct eras of X-Men.

1) Original: Xavier, Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Iceman, Angel + Havok & Polaris

2) All-New All-Different: Xavier, Cyclops, Storm, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Shadowcat + Jean, Banshee, Beast, Angel

- Claremonts run is obviously very long; but this is the foundation to the run.

3) Adjectiveless/TAS: Xavier, Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Storm, Wolverine, Rogue, Gambit, Jubilee + Bishop & Psylocke

4) New/Astonishing: Xavier, Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Wolverine, Emma, Shadowcat, Colossus + Storm, Armor, Quentin Quire

- Once we got into Messiah Complex... X-Force/Uncanny X-Force totally became the more more the flagship; partially due to Wolverine being on the team and Marvel focusing on them. Wolverine and the X-Men became a solid B book. (After that ended its pretty much been crap till...)

5) House of X: Xavier, Magneto, Apocalypse, Cyclops, Jean, Wolverine, Emma, Storm, Nightcrawler, Mystique + Moira McTaggert
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    Agreed. To me there is 5 distinct eras of X-Men.

1) Original: Xavier, Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Iceman, Angel + Havok & Polaris

2) All-New All-Different: Xavier, Cyclops, Storm, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Shadowcat + Jean, Banshee, Beast, Angel

- Claremonts run is obviously very long; but this is the foundation to the run.

3) Adjectiveless/TAS: Xavier, Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Storm, Wolverine, Rogue, Gambit, Jubilee + Bishop & Psylocke

4) New/Astonishing: Xavier, Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Wolverine, Emma, Shadowcat, Colossus + Storm, Armor, Quentin Quire

- Once we got into Messiah Complex... X-Force/Uncanny X-Force totally became the more more the flagship; partially due to Wolverine being on the team and Marvel focusing on them. Wolverine and the X-Men became a solid B book. (After that ended its pretty much been crap till...)

5) House of X: Xavier, Magneto, Apocalypse, Cyclops, Jean, Wolverine, Emma, Storm, Nightcrawler, Mystique + Moira McTaggert
    I would break up Claremont bc the first half of his run was markedly different than the latter half. There truly was a shift after UXM 200. I would add this as a 2B on your list: Storm, Wolverine, Dazzler, Rogue, Psylocke, Longshot, Havok, Forge....pretty much the Australian era covers it well.

Also beast wasnt an X-men at any point during Claremont's run. He got to write him in cameo appearances but he was an Avenger and later X-Factor when he did appear

I might agree that X-Force felt like a flagship book but Uncanny X-Force most certainly was not. It may have been the best X-book in its prime but it was very standalone and did not inform the direction of the X-line the way that the Yost/Kyle book did. There werent major crossovers or much influence on the overall narrative coming from it. It was very much its own thing. I think the creation of Genesis and Hippie Angel were the two biggest things that were used outside of it

>Polaris near Havok instead of near Wanda, Pietro and Magneto where she should be

Yeah, no.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    >Polaris near Havok instead of near Wanda, Pietro and Magneto where she should be

Yeah, no.
    Polaris makes sense alongside Havok, Mimic and Changeling near the O5 as the earliest recruits. For the most part this portrait is a visual chronological history of the X-line and that defined her more than being a relative of Magneto and his twins, something that really wasnt explored back in 2013 when this was made.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I would break up Claremont bc the first half of his run was markedly different than the latter half. There truly was a shift after UXM 200. I would add this as a 2B on your list: Storm, Wolverine, Dazzler, Rogue, Psylocke, Longshot, Havok, Forge....pretty much the Australian era covers it well.

Also beast wasnt an X-men at any point during Claremont's run. He got to write him in cameo appearances but he was an Avenger and later X-Factor when he did appear

I might agree that X-Force felt like a flagship book but Uncanny X-Force most certainly was not. It may have been the best X-book in its prime but it was very standalone and did not inform the direction of the X-line the way that the Yost/Kyle book did. There werent major crossovers or much influence on the overall narrative coming from it. It was very much its own thing. I think the creation of Genesis and Hippie Angel were the two biggest things that were used outside of it
    I personally don't think the Outback era lasted long enough to count. That time period, similar to after Messiah Complex, just became event after event until Adjectiveless hit the reset button.

Beast wasn't a team member but he was around frequently enough and for major missions (on top of being an 05) that I counted him. However the + people are more additions. I would actually consider the New Mutants as unit to fit that for the All-New era as well.

Uncanny X-Force was THE X-book at the time. It a sloppy period for the X-Men with Fraction on the technical flagship but it was really just more drifting from Morrison/Whedon. Uncanny X-Force I think surprised people and Marvel. It's one of the few periods in X-history where the the main book was dying and the supporting books were holding it all together.