Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    I personally don't think the Outback era lasted long enough to count. That time period, similar to after Messiah Complex, just became event after event until Adjectiveless hit the reset button.

Beast wasn't a team member but he was around frequently enough and for major missions (on top of being an 05) that I counted him. However the + people are more additions. I would actually consider the New Mutants as unit to fit that for the All-New era as well.

Uncanny X-Force was THE X-book at the time. It a sloppy period for the X-Men with Fraction on the technical flagship but it was really just more drifting from Morrison/Whedon. Uncanny X-Force I think surprised people and Marvel. It's one of the few periods in X-history where the the main book was dying and the supporting books were holding it all together.
    The Australian era was short but I mentioned that I was counting UXM 200 which is when the change in Claremont's X-men happened and we started to see him phase some characters out and bringing in new ones. The Mutant Massacre was key to that and it happened a good 1-2 years before the Aus era. Notice I mention Forge too, whom becomes a supporting character during this era and is there until the very end of Claremont's original run

I dont feel Beast was around that frequently. I was really only the first fight with Magneto and the DPS. He doesnt show up again until Inferno and the Morlock story where Jean gets tentacle arms

I get what you are saying as UXF was the book ubt its really hard to view it as flagship when again it was so standalone and did not spearhead the line like most flagships do

X-Men Chapter 1: Jean Alive (O5, ANAD, DPS)
    X-Men Chapter 2: Jean Dead (The 80s)
    X-Men Chapter 3: Jean Alive again (Blue & Gold thru NXM)
    X-Men Chapter 4: Jean Dead again (Reload thru Utopia)
    X-Men Chapter 5: Jean Alive again (HickX-Men)

Think we could just pull all of Bendis out of canon? Did anything besides gay Bobby actually happen?

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    X-Men Chapter 1: Jean Alive (O5, ANAD, DPS)
    X-Men Chapter 2: Jean Dead (The 80s)
    X-Men Chapter 3: Jean Alive again (Blue & Gold thru NXM)
    X-Men Chapter 4: Jean Dead again (Reload thru Utopia)
    X-Men Chapter 5: Jean Alive again (HickX-Men)

Think we could just pull all of Bendis out of canon? Did anything besides gay Bobby actually happen?
    \

Nope. Completely forgettable.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    \

Nope. Completely forgettable.
    But seriously, what happened in Bendis-Men?

The O5 came forward, spent WAY too much time here, outed Bobby, teams split into colors again. Maybe it’s my age but at least the 00s had touchstones like HoM, Messiah Craplex, Utopia, Schism, AvX. But then what? X-Men circling the drain for ten years.

The O5 came forward, spent WAY too much time here, outed Bobby, teams split into colors again. Maybe it’s my age but at least the 00s had touchstones like HoM, Messiah Craplex, Utopia, Schism, AvX. But then what? X-Men circling the drain for ten years.
    IvX was awful but the Terrigen crisis pretty much defined a very specifc era and was a touchstone in this past decade. Id say post AvX it was All New X-men (I think the O5 pretty much defined Bendis' run), IvX, ResurrXion, Dissassembled and now Dawn of X

The 05 in the present is a good mini series at best. Nothing happened. Bendis is a big writer. I thought we were going to have revamp ala Adjectiveless, Morrison, or now Hickman. It was as if he had no actual concept/pitch to write X-Men. In fact, I believe in a way his run was damaging. He really broke continuity and stakes.

In fact, I was completely ready to drop comics. And Bendis (with the help of Marvel Studios) turned the the X-Men into generic superhero storytelling. Between movies and what not I can't handle more superhero; I have plenty to reread of actual good X-Stories. But he outed Iceman and so I stuck around. But I essential fell from frying pan into the fire.

I think Iceman and Generation X are the only series I've truly enjoyed since Wolverine and the X-Men ended. Heck, if Iceman didn't get that second volume I probably would have left comics, CBR, and missed the greatness of HoX.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    IvX was awful but the Terrigen crisis pretty much defined a very specifc era and was a touchstone in this past decade. Id say post AvX it was All New X-men (I think the O5 pretty much defined Bendis' run), IvX, ResurrXion, Dissassembled and now Dawn of X
    IvX will be completely ignored in X-Mythos and only remembered for the Editorial/Studio mandates. I actually thought there could have been an interesting concept of minorities groups that don't get along; but of course it was about deadly mist. We literally had to read through two versions of the 05 characters battling like D-List Inhumans. Ugh. So. Bad.

Bendis' Uncanny X-Men was actually good. Completely aimless and meandering, sure. But I felt like he actually wrote Scott and co pretty well. In some ways, I'd say his X-Men have the problem that many said his Avengers did (unfairly, I think). That nothing really happened and it was all just characters talking to each other. But I reject the premise that that is inherently bad.

ANXM, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Bendis' Uncanny X-Men was actually good. Completely aimless and meandering, sure.
    That's great to hear. I feel like the X-Men era/decades can be split into big stories and big ideas, and the 10s were, as you say, meandering and aimless, which makes it difficult to parse.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Bendis' Uncanny X-Men was actually good. Completely aimless and meandering, sure. But I felt like he actually wrote Scott and co pretty well. In some ways, I'd say his X-Men have the problem that many said his Avengers did (unfairly, I think). That nothing really happened and it was all just characters talking to each other. But I reject the premise that that is inherently bad.

ANXM, not so much.
    I felt like if Bendis and Fraction and co-wrote their runs together it would have enhanced each other. I think Fraction had ideas but no character voices and Bendis was the inverse.

Extraordinary Member

Attachment 95295

Loving the intelligent placement of characters, given their primacy to the mythology. Loving that Kitty is put with her New Mutants peers. Surprised to see Gambit and Jubilee where they are, given I'd have put them in the Excalibur/80s X-additions. Still, it suggests their cultural weight, given the placement with Emma and Laura. Maybe films made an impact?

No Neal Shaara, Lifeguard or Slipstream, no Darwin, Petra, Sway. No Callisto, no Frenzy. It's funny he chose to place X-Factor opposite late 90s X-Men, when I think there's a lot more binding the X-Factor and X-Force casts. And Maggot was even a Gen Xer for a minute.
    It seems the cut off is when Neal Shaara joined. He’s not in the drawing.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    It seems the cut off is when Neal Shaara joined. He’s not in the drawing.
    Yeah I’d have slid him, Lifeguard and Slipstream in behind Marrow, Maggot, and Cecelia. Frenzy, Sunpyre, Omertà behind the X-Factors.