Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I think the character syngery is due to Disney. Disney wants the Marvel Office to make OG Gwen (retroactively) more like Spider-Gwen. They are blurring the lines because, well, OG Gwen is not as marketable.
    Current mini notwithstanding, I don't think they care much about OG Gwen. It's not like they're running to put her in everything they can. (Spider-Gwen? Yes.)

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Current mini notwithstanding, I don't think they care much about OG Gwen. It's not like they're running to put her in everything they can. (Spider-Gwen? Yes.)
    I think they do in so much as they wish to put versions of Spider-Gwen in the same universe as Peter (see the current Spidey cartoon and Lego Spider-Man vs Venom). They are making the two Gwens increasingly similar to each other.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mighty Member

I think they do in so much as they wish to put versions of Spider-Gwen in the same universe as Peter (see the current Spidey cartoon and Lego Spider-Man vs Venom). They are making the two Gwens increasingly similar to each other.
    Miles' Spider-Man has also been put in the same universe as Peter's Spider-Man in many adaptations because it's easier to explain than alternate dimensions. It seems that Spider-Gwen has become the default portrayal of Gwen in adaptations.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    Miles' Spider-Man has also been put in the same universe as Peter's Spider-Man in many adaptations because it's easier to explain than alternate dimensions. It seems that Spider-Gwen has become the default portrayal of Gwen in adaptations.
    Indeed it does, to the detriment of the original's identity (such as it was) I would argue.

Indeed it does, to the detriment of the original's identity (such as it was) I would argue.
    I agree with these assessments.

Astonishing Member

I like one fanfiction where someone used the Joyce Delaney clone as Spider-Gwen. Considering how badly she got wasted, that was especially nice.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I like one fanfiction where someone used the Joyce Delaney clone as Spider-Gwen. Considering how badly she got wasted, that was especially nice.
    Any chance I can get a link I always like checking out new stories
    Truth is the best policy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    Ghost-Spider should be the default Gwen. Why? What you want to see in comics is character growth. Ghost-Spider ( along with Miles) she needs the chance to grow into the kind of hero that Peter is. At the same time, Peter can serve as a mentor to her and Miles. I would love to see Peter no longer tormented by the death of Original Gwen and by mentoring a different Gwen ( and Miles) and having MJ around will help accomplish this. The single biggest problem I ever had with Marvel is their fear of Peter growing up ( see Clone Saga 1 and OMD/BND), and this, reverting Peter back to High School ( MCU) or acting like a man-child ( Slott and ASM 3). Basically High School Peter, and Original Gwen should be gone. Replaced by Adult Peter and Ghost Spider Gwen.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by VolcanikTiger86 View Post
    Any chance I can get a link I always like checking out new stories
    https://www.deviantart.com/green-mam...Year-543170718

But Spider-Gwen is the better character?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    But Spider-Gwen is the better character?
    I'd argue that Spider-Gwen, Spectacular Spider-Man animated Gwen, and Gwen from the Amazing movies are all better, more well-rounded characters than the original ever was. Sorry if my take offends any purist OG Gwen fans but the evidence speaks for itself, IMO.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-14-2020 at 12:44 PM.

Astonishing Member

I'd argue that Spider-Gwen, Spectacular Spider-Man animated Gwen, and Gwen from the Amazing movies are all better, more well-rounded characters than the original ever was. Sorry if my take offends any purist OG Gwen fans but the evidence speaks for itself, IMO.
    I am not a Gwen hater ( unlike Cindy Moon). She just never had the wow factor for me. I just happen to agree with you. If you look at the original issues , there is not one issue where you can say Gwen stands out in a positive way. Reread any Amazing issue from 31-121 and compare her to let’s say MJ in ASM 122, Kraven’s Last Hunt, or even the first time Peter met MJ with the now famous “Hit the jackpot”), and she does not come close. I will say I prefer Emma Stone’s Gwen to Kirsten Dunst’s MJ ( and for that matter 616 Gwen).

Never found Emma Stone's Gwen to well-rounded, at all. Agree on the first two (although I only know Spider-Gwen from the movies).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

Never found Emma Stone's Gwen to well-rounded, at all. Agree on the first two (although I only know Spider-Gwen from the movies).
    If I ranked Parker women from the movies I would rank Stone’s Gwen second ( only behind Into The Spider Verse MJ). I will make the argument that without Emma Stone, you will have no Ghost-Spider Gwen. Why? Because of how popular she turned out to be.

She's not. She's just as horribly written as everything else in those movies. Stone was just able to carry that material better because of her natural charisma and talent.