Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    It's not just up to the publishers. The distributors and retailers didn't want to be bothered with such low-profit publications.
    This.

DC still supplies some comic books for newsstand distribution (but it looks like they have a $3.99 cover price on the New 52 $2.99 books since last year), and Marvel doesn't even bother with that any more. But it's also a case where many retail stores don't always want to be bothered with comic books and have shrunk their magazine rack space in general. (Plus, if the comics they did get weren't selling, there gets to be a point where there's no use carrying them any longer.)

One other difference between then and now. When I was a kid, a few 20 or 25 cent comic books were doable with my weekly allowance . . . with comic books about $3.00 or $4.00 each these days, how many can a kid buy with a typical weekly allowance?

Retired

I know that the Chapters-Indigo bookstore that I frequent used to have a spinner rack. But I haven't checked to see if it's still there. It seemed to me like it was just an act of charity--since most kids would just read the comics in the store. But then that seems like the case with most books and magazines in Chapters-Indigo. Most of the customers read the stock but don't buy it. I guess they must make their money another way. But they should apply for tax-free status, since they resemble more a library or an academy of learning than a for-profit business.