Incredible Member

Default Interview with Mariko Tamaki - just an arc?

A short interview with Mariko Tamaki is at Newsarama. It's interesting to know how much her theater background has influenced her, and I think my favorite comment is this:

Working in theater is where I learned how to work with a group, to see making art as a combined vision instead of a singular concept. Like I once sat in a room with eight woman and wrote fat-positive lyrics to “Living La Vida Loca” and I think if you can do that, you can work on a comic with an artist and an editor.
    She also seems to be hyper-aware of her own continuing evolution as an artist and writer and is taking lessons from everything, which i think is a good thing. It makes me more optimistic about her time in Diana's world.

They don't really talk about Wonder Woman except, at the end, they ask if she wants to plug anything, and she says this:

I’ve got Wonder Woman and a Willow arc coming up! Please read them and continue to support your local comic store!
    This threw me a little - I was under the impression that she was the ongoing writer, but apparently she's just writing an arc? Or is she just using the wrong term? Or maybe it's just an arc and then whoever's supposed to do WW 5G takes over, except we don't know if 5G is really happening?
    Last edited by Frank; 04-07-2020 at 12:27 PM.

It might very well just be an arc. It tracks with the high turnover for Wonder Woman that DC constantly employs, so I wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't using incorrect terminology.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    A short interview with Mariko Tamaki is at Newsarama. It's interesting to know how much her theater background has influenced her, and I think my favorite comment is this:

She also seems to be hyper-aware of her own continuing evolution as an artist and writer and is taking lessons from everything, which i think is a good thing. It makes me more optimistic about her time in Diana's world.

They don't really talk about Wonder Woman except, at the end, they ask if she wants to plug anything, and she says this:

This threw me a little - I was under the impression that she was the ongoing writer, but apparently she's just writing an arc? Or is she just using the wrong term? Or maybe it's just an arc and then whoever's supposed to do WW 5G takes over, except we don't know if 5G is really happening?

Well, Bleeding Cool reported today that 5G is on hold for now:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-c...on-five-pause/
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Or "arc" only applies to Willow, and not to Wonder Woman. Language, it is ambigious.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Nothing she said makes me hopeful, she sounds like a novice experimenting with writing comics. The "keys to the carnival" was a real head scratcher that filled me with dread too. I'd be fine with just an arc to get a feeling and take it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Nothing she said makes me hopeful, she sounds like a novice experimenting with writing comics. The "keys to the carnival" was a real head scratcher that filled me with dread too. I'd be fine with just an arc to get a feeling and take it from there.
    She's not a novice at all. She's had moderately sizeable -- and very good -- runs on She-Hulk and X-23. Her mini-series work includes the much-loved Supergirl: Being Super, and her graphic novels include This One Summer and last year's bestselling Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass.
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Thing 2099 View Post
    She's not a novice at all. She's had moderately sizeable -- and very good -- runs on She-Hulk and X-23. Her mini-series work includes the much-loved Supergirl: Being Super, and her graphic novels include This One Summer and last year's bestselling Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass.
    That's great, I only read her She-Hulk and it was a disappointment.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Well, Bleeding Cool reported today that 5G is on hold for now:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-c...on-five-pause/
    No, reported that of the books that have been put on hold (only a handful) they are Black Label and 5G books. There are others that have not.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    No, reported that of the books that have been put on hold (only a handful) they are Black Label and 5G books. There are others that have not.

Ah ok. Thanks for clarifying.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

"...wonder Woman and a Willow arc." "A" being the singular descriptive pertaining to Willow and arc.

But then "Western" English can be so...incomprehensible...when spoken.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!