Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

When it comes to movies.
    Suicide squad was made because of the gotg.
    Suicide Squad, DC’s Answer To Guardians Of The Galaxy
    What exactly is the Marvel formula
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...Marvel-formula

Black Adam will Reshape What a Comic Book Movie Is! - DCEU Future Films & Updates

Why Marvel Is Defining The Modern Superhero Film Genre
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhug.../#34cc977d8e82

Why the Marvel Cinematic Universe was a huge risk - CNET
    https://www.cnet.com/news/why-the-ma...ngers-endgame/

This was posted before.
    by James W

not much of a Marvel comic reader, but haven't they made Thor and Bruce Banner into comedians and Drax from a guy capable of killing Thanos in to guy who makes nipple jokes? Genuine question

by Steven Fraser
    James W Dunno anything about Drax, so I can't answer. As to the Thor and Banner point, I don't class them as "comedians" in the MCU. The comedy comes from Banner's exasperation at the situations he's put in and Thor's naivety/arrogance where he's being placed in situations where he's an outsider, a "fish out of water" as it were. It's not like they're cracking "jokes" per se, as much as their reactions to these situations where the comedy comes from. I don't recall any scene from either of these characters where they stop a scene to tell a "joke". The exact same " fish out of water" style is used for comedy throughout Wonder Woman too. These aren't "comedians"- its the ridiculousness of seeing a Norse God/Amazon react and relate to a world they have no understanding of, THAT'S where the comedy comes from.

By Mark Hughes1

Just generally speaking, keep in mind some of the all-time best action movies were also filled with humor and comedy -- Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, and Beverly Hills Cop for example. And think about some of the other great action films that also have a constant good sense of humor -- Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels, The Rock, and so on. These films don't just have one or two humorous lines, they have repeated funny moments and humor throughout, and as much or in some cases more than the MCU movies.

Granted, a few MCU movies like Ant-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Thor: Ragnarok have enough constant humor to possibly say they could be considered action-comedies, but the rest of the MCU films aren't. If some folks just personally don't enjoy comedy or humor very much and only usually like straight-up serious action, that's obviously totally fine and valid for people to have personal preferences and taste. But I think it's worth trying to be more precise about how much humor really exists in MCU films, since it's often overstated or people end up with a misperception sometimes of the overall MCU tone, and to also remember some of the all-time best and other great action films outside of the superhero genre often have a lot of humor and comedy in them too.

by El Lobo Uchiha

MCU is smart because they knew Hero Films were eventually going to get old. Reinvention is key, for any creative project.
    MCU decided, hey there's no such thing as a hero genre [I disagree but whatever]. Let's make our character's who happen to be heroes be in different movies, like a coming of age movie, a political thriller, a heist film, a war film, a nostalgia film, a redemption story, a buddy cop film, and et cetera. That's smart.
    MCU is going to last a while because every film feels new. It doesn't feel like, oh another hero film, nah it's like oh an old western, a space adventure, a nostalgia trip.
    I mean, I'm excited for Captain Marvel cuz it feels like a 90s nostalgia trip. I want that. (+)
    Last edited by mace11; 04-13-2020 at 02:57 AM.

Extraordinary Member

MCU Using Lesser Known Characters in a Successful Way Explained by Kevin Feige

Extraordinary Member

Future of DCEU Might be Female Driven - DCEU Future Films & Updates

Extraordinary Member

More female focus film talk in upcoming dceu films.
    Michael Shannon Talks Return As Zod In DC's Supergirl Movie

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post

Aquaman and Shazam were successful copying a lot of the MCU ingredients.
    Correction

Aquaman and Shazam were successful copying a lot of the Blockbuster movie ingredients

The things that Marvel does well didn't start with them the 3 act structure was not made by them, emphasizing action and comedy didn't start with them, having something interesting happen at about rate of adult attention span didn't start with them, Big Special effect spectacle didn't start with Marvel, Quipping lead characters didn't start with Marvel. Marvel isn't only people making movies this way Universal has used the "same formula" with Fast Furious and Jurassic World. Will Smith rode the train to success with Independence day, Men in Black and Bad Boys.

DC or any other superhero movies isn't copying Marvel they are copying successful formula of adventures movies where you always have a setup, a big conflict in the middle, and exciting resolution and action movies with some comedy and quipping formula which I am going to point stuff like 48 hours, Beverly Hill Cop, Lethal Weapon,Die Hard (but I know stuff before them had it.)

Lastly there is no "own path" for DC or Marvel the style movie should be dictated by character and story with some considerations to company brand snuck in. If Marvel made Daredevil ,Punisher, Blade and Wolverine movies in a row I am pretty sure people would be saying Marvel is trying to be dark and gritty. Infinity War, Winter Solider, Black Panther and Civil War are darker movies than other Marvel because of subject matter covered in the stories. When DC or Marvel stories don't match character brand it doesn't work well see Superman DCEU nobody wants Superman franchise with him brooding for the whole time, If you do Doomsday story/Death of Superman story then yeah it should be darker but in general a tone like Aquaman would done better for Superman series. If MCU Spiderman does a Death of Gwen Stacy or Kraven Last Hunt storyline it is going to be darker than other storyline but in general spiderman should be more bright and upbeat.

Whenever I see people say most DC movies should be a certain way or most Marvel should be a certain way I think they are wrong. The character brand should dictate the overall tone so Superman movies because of sheer fact the character is optimistic and upbeat should feel different from Batman who is more brooding and darker. Then feel of story they are telling should dictate tone if they are telling the Killing Joke for Batman,It should feel different than Batman story with Damian Wayne and him, that should also feel different if they are telling World Finest story with Superman and him. DC big mistake was trying to fit every character under one vision and tone. People say Marvel is the same but Captain America and Antman are clearly different things, Captain America 1 and Captain America 2 are clearly different things .Suicide Squad, Man of Steel and Batman V Superman feeling basically the same was bad thing. Some People are too concerned that Marvel puts the same icing on every cake notice that most cakes for Marvel is actual different type of cake.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 04-13-2020 at 04:38 AM.

Extraordinary Member

This video is from a few years ago.
    Dark And Gritty Vs Light And Fun - What Makes A Better Comic-Book Movie - The John Campea Podcast

The talk starts around 30:30.

Note-john campea says that suicide squad by the way was not dark and gritty and it was fun and it has alot of comedy/humor.
    Justice league has humor/comedy by the way and it was not dark and gritty.
    Most of the films in the dceu is not dark and gritty.
    Joker is not a dceu film by the way.
    Last edited by mace11; 04-13-2020 at 05:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Correction

Aquaman and Shazam were successful copying a lot of the Blockbuster movie ingredients
    The blockbuster movie ingredients that is presumably dominated by the MCU. Once upon a time DC CEO Kevin Tsujihara said MCU movies are for bed-weters and DC was edgier. Bob Iger admitted it in his book that while Marvel comics are edgy, MCU would not be. Five years later DC is competing with MCU on who can crack the dumbest jokes in their movies. Where did DC get that from?

The things that Marvel does well didn't start with them the 3 act structure was not made by them, emphasizing action and comedy didn't start with them, having something interesting happen at about rate of adult attention span didn't start with them, Big Special effect spectacle didn't start with Marvel, Quipping lead characters didn't start with Marvel. Marvel isn't only people making movies this way Universal has used the "same formula" with Fast Furious and Jurassic World. Will Smith rode the train to success with Independence day, Men in Black and Bad Boys.
    The 3rd act structure was popularised by the MCU as something ''good''. Naturally the 3rd act of irritating special effect spectacles that nearly brought down Wonder Woman. I do know this is when critics should have stopped MCU films instead of letting them get very far before Scorsese gave everyone the dose of reality of how damaging this films are to cinema. It may not have started with the MCU but DC was not doing it with their movies either, the little they did with Snyder , they paid the price.

Infinity War, Winter Solider, Black Panther and Civil War are darker movies than other Marvel because of subject matter covered in the stories. When DC or Marvel stories don't match character brand it doesn't work well see Superman DCEU nobody wants Superman franchise with him brooding for the whole time, If you do Doomsday story/Death of Superman story then yeah it should be darker but in general a tone like Aquaman would done better for Superman series. If MCU Spiderman does a Death of Gwen Stacy or Kraven Last Hunt storyline it is going to be darker than other storyline but in general spiderman should be more bright and upbeat
    Infinity War is a 96% cgi movie unless your subject matter is cgi. The other films subject matter range is that of a tea spoon though its the best Disney can do given Bob Iger's obsession in making sure MCU stays kiddie friendly. Its laughable to equate Civil War, Black Panther or Winter Solider to the Christopher Nolan's Batman films subject matters. Beat our heads, why DCU is being a copycat, when they have a better teacher.

Whenever I see people say most DC movies should be a certain way or most Marvel should be a certain way I think they are wrong. The character brand should dictate the overall tone so Superman movies because of sheer fact the character is optimistic and upbeat should feel different from Batman who is more brooding and darker. Then feel of story they are telling should dictate tone if they are telling the Killing Joke for Batman,It should feel different than Batman story with Damian Wayne and him, that should also feel different if they are telling World Finest story with Superman and him. DC big mistake was trying to fit every character under one vision and tone. People say Marvel is the same but Captain America and Antman are clearly different things, Captain America 1 and Captain America 2 are clearly different things .Suicide Squad, Man of Steel and Batman V Superman feeling basically the same was bad thing. Some People are too concerned that Marvel puts the same icing on every cake notice that most cakes for Marvel is actual different type of cake.

MCU and DCU were once trying to construct their own style. MCU is parody and action. DC was darker and edgy. All that has changed. MCU and DCU are becoming the same thing. The only olive branch for DC is not all DC movies are DCEU movies.
    Last edited by Marvelgirl; 04-13-2020 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    It did not flop.

It has not made the budget back.

DC has not announced a sequel

Its pretty much now in the flop territory.

We're getting into 'Marvel invented comedy' territory here.
    MCU reinvented comedy driven comic films after DC tired and failed with Joel Schumacher's Batman films.

Birds of Prey doesn't even feel like an MCU film at all though. The DCEU felt like a Zach Snyder universe because for a time he directed 3 films within the DCEU. Now that there are more creators, these films are going to feel and look different.
    It felt like a cross between MCU and DCU. The tone, mediocre movie plot and comedy is MCU. The R Rating, violence and innuendos is DC.

Extraordinary Member

It felt like a cross between MCU and DCU. The tone, mediocre movie plot and comedy is MCU. The R Rating, violence and innuendos is DC.
    Eh I feel like a smaller scale MCU movie like Antman had a better plot than bop. The R- rating was a mystery the first 2 Iron Man movies were more edgy. Say what you want but the comedy in MCU films works. Harley spazzing out over an egg/cheese wasn't really funny.

MCU reinvented comedy driven comic films
    Lol, you really should try to watch other stuff than super heros movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Lol, you really should try to watch other stuff than super heros movies.
    I know. It's like arguing that someone reinvented the wheel therefore they invented the wheel. Marvel uses an action- comedy style therefore they invented action- comedy like that style isn't common in action movies. The bad part is that a lot of people don't see that, if you removed all of the comedy, it would still be essentially the same story and quite a serious story. Ironically, the comedy causes people to take it more seriously. If you tried to present it as completely serious, I think the average movie goer would either not like it or laugh at the idea of something so far fetched to begin with taking itself so seriously.

I do applaud DC for trying to do something different but they saw it wasn't working. Did they decide to Marvelize? Was Marvel their direct inspiration for getting more comedic? Quite possibly but it still amounted to stepping in line with the vast majority of action movies.
    Power with Girl is better.

It has not made the budget back.

DC has not announced a sequel

Its pretty much now in the flop territory.
    The traditional definition of a flop is a movie that doesn't even make back it's production budget in gross box-office.
    examples: Catwoman - PB $100M - WWBO $82M
    The Astronaut’s Wife - PB $75M - WWBO $20M
    Dudley Do-Right - PB $70M - WWBO - $10M
    Gigli - PB $76M - WWBO $7M
    Inchon - PB $46M - WWBO $5M

Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey had a PB of $84M and a WWBO of $201M - a +2.4 ratio. It underperformed, but it wasn't a flop in the traditional meaning of the word. Lots of movies would love to have a +$200M WWBO.
    If Catwoman had made $200M even with the $100M PB I doubt she would be considered a flop.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I know. It's like arguing that someone reinvented the wheel therefore they invented the wheel. Marvel uses an action- comedy style therefore they invented action- comedy like that style isn't common in action movies. The bad part is that a lot of people don't see that, if you removed all of the comedy, it would still be essentially the same story and quite a serious story. Ironically, the comedy causes people to take it more seriously. If you tried to present it as completely serious, I think the average movie goer would either not like it or laugh at the idea of something so far fetched to begin with taking itself so seriously. .
    I could not agree more.

Marvel knows when to pull back, to allow the suspension of disbelief to ease and allow their characters to just be human and fallible, and allow the story to just breathe.

MCU reinvented comedy driven comic films after DC tired and failed with Joel Schumacher's Batman films.
    Are we just ignoring the Spiderman films and the slew of Marvel films published by various studios? Even then though the idea that 'comic book films' are somehow their own genre is silly. They aren't, the vast majority would be classified as actions films or more specifically action-comedies.

Joker and the BoP are the only R rated DC films produced and they aren't even that violent. Innuendos....what? Also the plot for BoP isn't like a Marvel film, its fairly character driven.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey had a PB of $84M and a WWBO of $201M - a +2.4 ratio. It underperformed, but it wasn't a flop in the traditional meaning of the word. Lots of movies would love to have a +$200M WWBO.
    If Catwoman had made $200M even with the $100M PB I doubt she would be considered a flop.
    I'm fairly certain that the Coronavirus also impacted its foreign box office too.

Yeah, its not a huge blockbuster, but I don't think WB ever expected it to be and considering what's happening now, I'm sure WB is happy to have something this year. Its the 4th highest grossing film this year.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut