Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default DC Fans do you still care about DC copying MCU movies

Man of Steel, Suicide Squad, Batman v Superman and Justice League are called missteps though I disagree all of it is 100% true.

Joker was successful.

Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey was not.

Aquaman and Shazam were successful copying a lot of the MCU ingredients.

DC fans what do you want from the DC films now.

Is it cool for DC to pretend MCU does not exist anymore and make their own path. Birds of Prey felt like a crossfire movie caught between DCEU and MCU. It wanted to be a MCU and DCEU film at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    Man of Steel, Suicide Squad, Batman v Superman and Justice League are called missteps though I disagree all of it is 100% true.

Joker was successful.

Is it cool for DC to pretend MCU does not exist anymore and make their own path. Birds of Prey felt like a crossfire movie caught between DCEU and MCU. It wanted to be a MCU and DCEU film at the same time.
    I think that they should try and forge their own path - even if at times it will look similar to Marvel. At least it is free of the dark vision of Snyder.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I think that they should try and forge their own path - even if at times it will look similar to Marvel. At least it is free of the dark vision of Snyder.
    It has not yet occurred to some fans on the birds of prey thread that the movie may have flopped because the movie could not find a specific audience. It is not about the quality of films. Its about a built in audience. Captain Marvel made over a billion dollars from a built in audience that subscribes to anything MCU. DCEU never got the chance to grow and nurture their own built in audience.

It has not yet occurred to some fans on the birds of prey thread that the movie may have flopped because the movie could not find a specific audience. It is not about the quality of films. Its about a built in audience. Captain Marvel made over a billion dollars from a built in audience that subscribes to anything MCU. DCEU never got the chance to grow and nurture their own built in audience.
    The DCEU got a chance but blew it. They don't need to emulate the "Marvel formula," which isn't a real thing btw. Marvel does what pretty much every successful blockbuster does. Warner Brothers needs to focus on making the films good on their own merits, whether that means something like Aquaman or Joker. It's all about the execution.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    The DCEU got a chance but blew it. They don't need to emulate the "Marvel formula," which isn't a real thing btw. Marvel does what pretty much every successful blockbuster does. Warner Brothers needs to focus on making the films good on their own merits, whether that means something like Aquaman or Joker. It's all about the execution.
    Pretty much this. Worry about the film first, and building the shared universe second.
    Dark does not mean deep.

It did not flop.

We're getting into 'Marvel invented comedy' territory here.

Birds of Prey doesn't even feel like an MCU film at all though. The DCEU felt like a Zach Snyder universe because for a time he directed 3 films within the DCEU. Now that there are more creators, these films are going to feel and look different.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Haven't seen Shazam yet, but the Trench scene in Aquaman is unlike any MCU movie I've seen. And also....the number of people Aquaman kills in the movie is a lot more than your average MCU character.

Joker was successful.

Oh really? Like what exactly?

Did you know that Feige got inspiration for the mcu by watching the original Superman movies? So who copied who?

Also, Civil War was a response to Batman V Superman. They even admitted to it. And Captain Marvel a response to Wonder Woman. DC did the first female superhero movie with a big budget. DC also did Superman and Batman movies FIRST.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 04-07-2020 at 10:28 PM.

I'm waiting for the magical MCU Formula to be mentioned you know, the one thats your standard action-comedy formula

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Haven't seen Shazam yet, but the Trench scene in Aquaman is unlike any MCU movie I've seen. And also....the number of people Aquaman kills in the movie is a lot more than your average MCU character.

They kill people on the regular Ironman killed a **** ton just in his first movie. Captain America has killed a **** ton of people as well. He crushed a jeep full of hydra soldiers by throwing his motorcycle at them. Spiderman has the cleanest hands he's only killed creatures and helped kill Black Dwarf or Obsidian Black whatever they called him. Caption Marvel took out a whole armada. Lol Rocket shot countless people down while laughing gleefully. Anyway I can on and on for almost every character.

That said I don't think we needed a topic that just gonna be MCU v DCEU. It happens enough in other threads. Just sounds like someone who hates the mcu made a thread to bait dceu fans into attacking marvel or vice versa. I think the MCU formula is BS unless making movies enjoyed by as many people as possible is a formula. They have certain lines they have to color inside and most of them are action comedies. Other then that alot of the movies take different approaches and fit into different sub genre's.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 04-08-2020 at 03:43 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I'm waiting for the magical MCU Formula to be mentioned you know, the one thats your standard action-comedy formula
    This.

It’s just basic action comedy stuff. It’s not some unique formula that only they have secret the secret to.

Just because Shazam had humor doesn't mean it was copying the MCU.

It was a movie about a kid that turns into a superhero. It only made sense to market that movie to kids.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Just because Shazam had humor doesn't mean it was copying the MCU.

It was a movie about a kid that turns into a superhero. It only made sense to market that movie to kids.
    I actually thought Shazam was unique. It was the first superhero movie that was like rated "PG" and clearly made for a younger audience. It basically served as counter programming for the more adult action type movies at the time.

It was basically the counter-Deadpool movie.

I don't care about movies anymore period, to be perfectly honest. I'd rather just get back to having good comics, supplemented with good animation. I'm not naive, I know it won't stop because that's where the bulk of the potential money is made, but its also where, imo, superheroes thrive least.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

SHAZAM took absolutely nothing from the Marvel movies. That flick is way more on par with great 80s fantasy/sci fi, in tone and narrative. Much more Robocop and Highlander. I wish more movies were made akin to that.

AQUAMAN is just a huge epic. It also plays with narrative structure really wonderfully too. Arthur is a hero's journey for a grown man who needs to truly grow and change to be what is needed.

The Marvel stuff is serviceable, but Aquaman and Shazam both have something a lot more interesting going on. They also really REALLY have fullfleged aesthetics and visions that feel individual.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 04-10-2020 at 04:32 PM.