Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Ahmed Best on the ST

https://www.cbr.com/jar-jar-binks-ah...aw-the-force//

"This is the thing I think Star Wars is falling short of now: there really isn’t very much to believe in anymore," actor Ahmed Best told pop culture writer Jamie Stangroom. "The lack of faith in the mythology is really the thing I find to be missing. We don’t talk about The Force anymore in the Star Wars movies."

"We’re really about lineage and legacy and line and technology," Best said. "But the thing that made Star Wars work was The Force. There were two sides: the light side, and the dark side. But we all believed in The Force -- that’s what worked in the Lucasverse when it came to Star Wars.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I mean, we can see what he means in TFA and TROS. But considering that TLJ is pretty much nothing but a 2 hour musing on the nature of the light vs dark in the context of the SW universe, and spends almost all of it's thematic energy, both text and subtext, in attempting to give the two positions a firm and concrete, but ultimately simple definition, I'm not sure I can agree with Mr. Best that the Force is missing from the sequel trilogy.

It may not be explicitly talked about in scenes. But seriously, The Last Jedi constructs it's entire plot, to it's detriment at times, around trying to show what makes something light or dark, why the Force might be with some people in certain situations and not others, and to ultimately justify how the Jedi of the PT failed so spectacularly while Luke succeeded so profoundly during ROTJ. Though granted, it does so by deconstructing Luke's victory, which many in the audience took to be a cynical betrayal of the character. But that's a complaint about the specific details of the writing, and one I don't agree with. And it also gives the most important line in the whole film to Rose Tico, a character who the audience as a whole seems to have turned on for reasons I will never understand, and which may have obscured it's significance to the larger film in some ways.

And though it isn't explicitly spelled out, TROS of takes the definitions laid out by TLJ and runs with them, hard. To the point of constructing a climax that some fans found unbelievable or out of left field.

So maybe Mr. Best even has it backwards. It isn't that the ST didn't push belief in the Force hard enough, it's that the audience, or at least the vocal portion of it, doesn't care to believe anymore.

Is he really talking about the movies or the focus of critics and fans? Apart from Solo it seems the sequels and even Rogue One had plenty of focus on it.

If anything the PT seemed a little short on dwelling on the force at times apart from maybe ROTS. For a series that Lucas intended to have people watch in order, it's really not explained at all (Abrams at least had Maz explain it in TFA) for those watching the series for the first time. The best we got I think is Yoda's explanation of how falling to the dark side is connected to fear (and of course it was largely fear that drove Anakin in the end)...and then of course there's Midichlorians.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

Eh, none of the movies dug into the spiritual side much, or the philosophy of the Force, in part because Rey never really got an on-screen education in its nature, and when they did, it tended to be either brief, or a bit of self-indulgent navel-gazing that ultimately says nothing.

TROS, in the first place, isn’t even really trying - Abrams and Terio are using it as superpowers, and as a Deus Ex Machina to try and make TLJ’s Reylo relationship make more sense than it actually did.

TFA at least is trying to imply a kind of spiritual awe and wonder at the “mysteries” of the Force, put pushes off any development of the Force into the next film, pretty much explicitly: Rey doesn’t begin to realize what the Force can do and enter into that story only at the end of the film, while Kylo already indoctrinated into the dark side, and both have training set-up for the next film...

...And then TLJ promptly ignores any training beyond a farce of one half-way decent mediation lesson for Rey, and Snoke deciding that Kylo killing this random girl he met a few days ago is training somehow. Removing the training element removes the extreme potential those elements have for exploring the Force, Jedi philosophy, and whatever dark side philosophy Kylo and Snoke have. Most of Luke's dialogue about the Force and such is a hipster critique of the PT and Jedi covered as Luke being embittered. Luke says a lot of critical things about the Jedi, and at time spenders that there *could* be more to the Force... but doesn’t actually say a damn thing afterwards; it’s a lot of pontificating that’s ultimately adds nothing, and is actually more concerned with trying to tell about Luke’s character arc than about the Force. Meanwhile, Rey and Kylo’s story treats the Force more as a superpower, like a mutation or meta-gene, which continues into TROS, and never really deep dives into any character-based Force perspectives for them...

...And I think that’s because Rian Johnson was enamored and distracted by Kylo Ren, and what he saw in him. He made Rey’s story all about Kylo, rather than about her learning anything about the Force, and he seemed to reject the idea that Rey’s experiences with Kylo could drive her to the dark side out of anger or fear against him - and I think that fundamentally undermined any moral element of the Force in the ST and cut off a bunch of the spiritual elements of the Force.

I mean, the film doesn’t treat the dark side like the dark side. Ben Solo had some nebulous, vague darkness inside of him that triggered Luke... but you’re not supposed to actually wonder what that was or where it comes from - or that Kylo than seemed to prove Luke was right to be triggered, since TLJ casually established he killed a bunch of other students right afterwards.

Kylo’s crimes don’t matter to TLJ at all, and thus Rey backs off when Kylo’s deflects on a question about Han, ever brings up what happened to her, or Finn, or the students, or his other victims... which leaves her dark side temptation as a bunch of bupkiss. The cave scene here has no moral allegory for Rey aside an attempt to sell Rey Random, while the film just takes it as a fact that it doesn’t need to show her standing over an unconscious Kylo on the Supremacy and just focuses on him waking up afterwards. It also means that Luke’s temptation against Kylo is treated more seriously than Kylo actions, which undermines his complaints about the Jedi.

TLJ may *look* like it had spiritual things to say, but really it was mostly hot air and pretentious and un-self aware meta-commentary.

It’s not a matter of the fans not looking for spirituality. It’s the ST abandoning spirituality in favor of a Kylo/Ben-favoring paradigm - any actual moral or philosophical ethos to the films and the Force has a gigantic double standard around him that kills it.
    Last edited by godisawesome; 04-08-2020 at 12:12 PM.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post

Kylo’s crimes don’t matter to TLJ at all, and thus Rey backs off when Kylo’s deflects on a question about Han, ever brings up what happened to her, or Finn, or the students, or his other victims... which leaves her dark side temptation as a bunch of bupkiss. The cave scene here has no moral allegory for Rey aside an attempt to sell Rey Random, while the film just takes it as a fact that it doesn’t need to show her standing over an unconscious Kylo on the Supremacy and just focuses on him waking up afterwards. It also means that Luke’s temptation against Kylo is treated more seriously than Kylo actions, which undermines his complaints about the Jedi.
    I do think you make some strong points, particularly with regards to spirituality in the ST. I think the ST is a much more concerned with internal influences than external, divine ones. And this could certainly be said to be a turn away from spirituality in a sense. Although I don't agree with your take on TLJ in large measure. But this paragraph is interesting. How do you feel Vader's crimes were relevant to ROTJ? They weren't the driving force behind the action there, any more than Kylo's actions in TLJ.

Instead, it's the parallel between Kylo and Rey as abandoned children. (And yes, because I know how much you hate Kylo after TFA and because you're not wrong in regards to this point in particular, I'm not saying Kylo was actually abandoned. Just that he would classify himself that way.) There are some interesting mirrors in that he's basically a chosen child petulantly rejecting his silver spoon out of a paralyzing fear of being unable to live up to the hype, while she's a nobody in desperate search for belonging, but the heart of the connection between the two of them is their perceived mutual feeling that they have been abandoned in a galaxy that is much too big for each of them.

One of the things that TROS gets so completely wrong is what binds Ben and Rey together. It isn't any twisted romance, it's seeing too much of themselves and their past in each other. They are capable of feeling for the other, of empathizing with their respective feelings of loss, betrayal and abandonment. In terms of the narrative the only crime Kylo committed that matters is killing Han, his chance to confront the father he feels abandoned by. And the relevant information is that Ben feels guilt over the choice he made. He chose poorly. Rey's temptation is much closer to the moral allegory you say you're looking for. Will she ignore everything Kylo has done just to be accepted. Rey wants desperately to belong, somewhere. And maybe nobody in the galaxy understands her better than Ben Solo, in her mind. To be accepted by someone who won't abandon you, who won't turn away is the thing that drives her. But it also drives him. Of course the film doesn't have to dwell on Rey standing over Kylo on the Supremacy. She was never going to physically harm him if she wasn't herself in danger. The most savage thing she can do to him is to turn her back and walk away. Rey chooses more wisely.

You're correct that Rey's cave experience isn't a moral allegory, but it wasn't trying to be. One of the central threads of the film, which actually does underscore to an extent your assertion about an abandonment of spirituality, is that much of the Force is what you as an individual bring to it. The film is less concerned with external influences than with internal ones. Rey races into darkness with reckless abandon in search of answers that she desperately craves. She is primed to take any risk, willing to perhaps overlook any crime, and turn to any avenue. Rey will follow any path in her desperate search for answers. For a place to belong. But instead of answers she is only shown an endless hallway of her own reflection. The Force has no answers for her, as she herself is to afraid to face them. So she sees the only answer that matters. She is Rey, whole and complete as just herself, in isolation from anybody else. Conversely to my previous point, this is one of the things that TROS gets right. Rey is afraid to be herself, in isolation.

(As an aside, I'll 100% grant that Ben's redemption in TROS feels completely unearned and even though I see what they were going for, building off the abandoned child model, I don't think they pulled it off in any way. And I can agree with you that the Kylo Ren presented in TLJ and TROS is at odds with his initial, far nearer mad presentation in TFA.)

I do think you're right in a way, however. Most of what TLJ has to say is less about the Force as some divine power, or some overarching presence than it is about how the people of the galaxy interact with it in the internal sense. What you bring to the Force, as opposed to what the Force is, or means. The film, inelegantly I'll admit, focuses on how the choices people make and the motivations that drive those choices define darkness and light. How good people can make bad choices for the worst reasons without being irredeemable. (And by extension, how bad people can perhaps be redeemed by making good choices for the right reasons.) How those motivations color everything that comes after those decisions. It's less concerned with the morality of action than how it proceeds from the direction of intent.
    Last edited by ZeroBG82; 04-08-2020 at 04:58 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    I do think you make some strong points, particularly with regards to spirituality in the ST. I think the ST is a much more concerned with internal influences than external, divine ones. And this could certainly be said to be a turn away from spirituality in a sense. Although I don't agree with your take on TLJ in large measure. But this paragraph is interesting. How do you feel Vader's crimes were relevant to ROTJ? They weren't the driving force behind the action there, any more than Kylo's actions in TLJ.
    Well, here’s the thing; we’re not in an ROTJ phase story yet in TLJ. We’re still very much in the ANH/ESB type zone. Rey’s personal character arc *is* supposed to be the main thing for this film, and is in a raw state where Kylo’s actions and crimes matter more nowbecause they’re by and large the greatest “input” TFA gave her character outside of her relationship with Finn... and the *only* inputs she had from Kylo, unlike Luke getting the Vader = Anakin reveal from ESB.

Vader’s crimes matter to ROTJ in that they were all the reasons Luke had to resign himself to thinking that it was likely he could only peel his father away from the strike force, and get them both on what he hoped would be the doomed Death Star with the Emperor. Luke treats Vader’s crimes as though they still exist as evidence that he’s not an ally, and circumstances force him to put himself at Vader’s mercy for another reason: they’re father and son... which is the only real reason why Luke has a bonus mission of redeeming his father if he can, but is not the defining reason he surrenders to him - Vader can track Luke, and thus the strike team.

Vader’s crimes *do* matter more to ROTJ’s story than Kylo’s do in TLJ, but the crazy part is that Vader’s crimes *didn’t have to matter as much* as Kylo’s crimes *have to* in TLJ.
    Instead, it's the parallel between Kylo and Rey as abandoned children. (And yes, because I know how much you hate Kylo after TFA and because you're not wrong in regards to this point in particular, I'm not saying Kylo was actually abandoned. Just that he would classify himself that way.) There are some interesting mirrors in that he's basically a chosen child petulantly rejecting his silver spoon out of a paralyzing fear of being unable to live up to the hype, while she's a nobody in desperate search for belonging, but the heart of the connection between the two of them is their perceived mutual feeling that they have been abandoned in a galaxy that is much too big for each of them.

One of the things that TROS gets so completely wrong is what binds Ben and Rey together. It isn't any twisted romance, it's seeing too much of themselves and their past in each other. They are capable of feeling for the other, of empathizing with their respective feelings of loss, betrayal and abandonment. In terms of the narrative the only crime Kylo committed that matters is killing Han, his chance to confront the father he feels abandoned by. And the relevant information is that Ben feels guilt over the choice he made. He chose poorly. Rey's temptation is much closer to the moral allegory you say you're looking for. Will she ignore everything Kylo has done just to be accepted. Rey wants desperately to belong, somewhere. And maybe nobody in the galaxy understands her better than Ben Solo, in her mind. To be accepted by someone who won't abandon you, who won't turn away is the thing that drives her. But it also drives him.
    Here is the big reason I generally take a lot of the “Rey and Kylo see commonality between each other” arguments fro TLJ as bupkiss that ultimately damages Rey as a character and the moral and spiritual aspects of the ST.

Rey is suffering, and she knows it’s because of Kylo.

Rey also knows that any suffering Kylo experiences is his own damn fault. Rey has no reason emotionally or logically to give Kylo’s feelings any respect or consideration, and in fact, Rey has every reason as a human being to find more time with Kylo and his fantasy disgusting or terrifying than anything else.

TLJ’s cardinal sin is that it regards Kylo’s feelings as the more important in-universe thing than his actions, and it also values Kylo’s feelings over Rey’s experiences and journey from TFA.

We’re literally only a few days away from Rey undergoing a series of traumatizing gut punches where her denial about being abandoned left her vulnerable to Kylo Ren... who then proceeded to torture her and violate her mind while indirectly rubbing salt into her loneliness and abandonment wound, and pointed out how she viewed Han as father figure. She then escaped, experienced a cathartic moment of Finn returning for her with Han, giving her the family she wanted... just in time to see Kylo and Han’s relationship revealed, have Kylo murder Han in front of her, and then maim Finn for daring to stand up and protect her, *after* Kylo threw her into a tree.

The only thing that TLJ actually adds into this equation fo substance is that when Rey confronts Kylo over the night Luke says he murdered the other students, Kylo just whines and says “Luke started it!”... and then he, the film and Rey all ignore how that implicitly is followed up by “And so I had to kill the other students who wouldn’t join me in finding a fascist dark side cult!”

For Rey, what should matter in a human being’s story is that Kylo deprived them both of their families - Han is the big one they share that he’s at fault for, but Finn’s maiming sure as $#!+ should matter as well, and arguably more so, since while Rey viewed Han as a father figure, we got to see her realize the catharsis of Finn returning for her. Rey was abandoned by her parents, but she was *not* abandoned by Finn or by Han. And while Rey wants that belonging and a family of her own, she also saw Kylo reject and murder his own family when it came for him before her eyes - so his headspace is an alien thing to her that is in some mirror universe - and Kylo is the reason why Finn was in a coma when last she saw him.

The other things he did to her are just icing in a giant Pavlovian Psychology cake that would turn her against him even if he weren’t an incomprehensible force of destruction upon their families.

For TLJ’s view of Rey and Kylo to work, the emotional force of Rey’s story arc and the triumphs and tragedies in TFA she suffered cannot matter.

TLJ has to skew the moral lens of the story so that Kylo’s delusions and self-inflicted discontent matter more than Rey being separated from Finn temporarily and Han permanently by him. Doing so means that it can’t envision Rey facing what would arguably be the most introverted, organic, and “earned” dark side temptation in the franchise.

You're correct that Rey's cave experience isn't a moral allegory, but it wasn't trying to be. One of the central threads of the film, which actually does underscore to an extent your assertion about an abandonment of spirituality, is that much of the Force is what you as an individual bring to it. The film is less concerned with external influences than with internal ones. Rey races into darkness with reckless abandon in search of answers that she desperately craves. She is primed to take any risk, willing to perhaps overlook any crime, and turn to any avenue. Rey will follow any path in her desperate search for answers. For a place to belong.
    Again, all of this interpretation fails to work with Rey’s story in TFA, and favors Kylo by ignoring everything he did that would clash with Rey’s ostensible message.

But I’d also argue it’s an out-of-character interpretation for Rey from TFA. Rey doesn’t have any identity crisis in TFA; her questions is “Why won’t my parents come for me?” not “Who are my parents?”

And again, TLJ insists that Rey is looking for a place to belong, while TFA had already offered her and sheiks accepted an answer - with Finn, Leia, and the Resistance, and then, presumably, with Luke as her Jedi Master if she’d take him.

TLJ’s story for Rey is one that’s backward extrapolated from Rian Johnson’s character priorities. He didn’t want Rey being trained and focused on by Luke - Luke’s story is basically an epilogue Rey is merely an audience member for - and he wanted to express his more sympathetic and intrigued view of Kylo, so he wanted a story more focused on trying to get Rey wanting to belong with Kylo than with Luke. But simultaneously, I think he was clearly apathetic and largely uninterested in Finn, which meant he didn’t see the real value or meaning of Finn’s relationship with Rey, which I think mixed badly with a lack of understanding of Rey’s story in general.

That’s why TLJ suffers from a version of “Protagonist Centered Morality”... but for Kylo and Luke, not Rey and Finn.

I mean, we’re no closer to understanding why Kylo is a dark sider or why Rey is supposedly drawn to the dark side by the end of TLJ, though for her at least its more a matter of a lack of the believable dark side temptation. And to some extent, Kylo’s lack of clear motive for his dark side temptation actually aggravates the issue - all an impartial observer can say about the information the film gives about Kylo regarding what he brought to the dark side would be an evil enough personality that he doesn’t need clear motive... but that doesn’t explain why Rey would see any sympathetic in him.

And the way it just skips over Rey waking aboard the Supremacy while Kylo, who has just avowed his status as and enemy to sentience, is unconscious before her betrays a lack of interest in her internal Force story... at least as regards to Kylo.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Those all great points regarding the ST's problematic relationship with Kylo Ren, Godisawesome.

Also of note, the EU actually dealt with Leia not being as forgiving of Vader as Luke was, which I thought was a valid point to address.

Unfortunately at this point the ST doesn't address Rey's relationship to Kylo in a meaningful way--we don't even get any insight into how she felt about him kissing her in the end. Because it happens and then he's dead.

I get the impression that JJ Abrams was not on board with that moment and someone else forced it in, given that he still sees Rey and Ben as more of a brother/sister connection. Which it very obviously isn't in TLJ and ROS.
    Last edited by David Walton; 04-10-2020 at 06:03 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Those all great points regarding the ST's problematic relationship with Kylo Ren, Godisawesome.

Also of note, the EU actually dealt with Leia not being as forgiving of Vader as Luke was, which I thought was a valid point to address.

Unfortunately at this point the ST doesn't address Rey's relationship to Kylo in a meaningful way--we don't even get any insight into how she felt about him kissing her in the end. Because it happens and then he's dead.

I get the impression that JJ Abrams was not on board with that moment and someone else forced it in, given that he still sees Rey and Ben as more of a brother/sister connection. Which it very obviously isn't in TLJ and ROS.
    Colin Trevorrow’s “Duel of the Fates” script has a bit more Force in its plot, and noticeably lacks “Reylo” *and* Palpatine, and despite reports that LFL brought Abrams back because he had an asnwer for Fisher’s tragic death and Leia’s role... Leia’s role is still pretty similar between DOTF and TROS, even down to her contacting Kylo and creating his (much shorter in DOTF) redemption into Ben. It’s big Force story part was visiting the world of Mortis, Kylo learning to drain the Force as a dark side technique, while Rey was starting to become something like a “Grey Jedi” able to use passion without going to the dark side.

I believe Chris Terrio testified that Palpatine’s return was accepted and approved by Kathleen Kennedy as a method of trying to seek Ben’s redemption to a greater extent by giving him a villain to oppose - and Palpatine’s return was seemingly one of the earliest differences introduced when Abrams took over, and the desire for a new villain besides Kylo was reportedly already part of some of Trevorrow’s last scripts (when someone else was hired to write it). That’s an awful big change to make to the story for Ben Solo’s sake... and “Reylo” as a concept post-TLJ is very much a “for Ben Solo’s sake” kind of story idea, since it was never about Rey in TLJ, but about him.

Abrams trying to hem and haw about it being sibling-like in an interview, and the way his editor testified that they *did* have a plan for not including the kiss, but “felt the story needed it” or something, feels to me like likely evidence that Kennedy wanted the relationship in the final product, at least as a way to make sure that Rey cared about Kylo/Ben to a sufficient amount to make his redemption mean more. The fact that Driver was reportedly her preferred actor for the role way back when in comparison to Boyega and Ridley having to earn it in auditions, and the way she approved of TLJ’s script, I think we can safely say she thought he was the biggest return on investment.

(By the by, I think Rey became a Palpatine as an “insurance” measure to make sure that Ben Solo getting redeemed. To face him wouldn’t overwhelm her character, and also supplied an easy archetype to copy to fill her story out to compete with him getting a redemption arc.)

Dunno, I kinda think that the sequel trilogy suffered most from fan expectation which wasn't very patient when things didn't quite hit it out of the park. I mean Disney has had only two true "failures" in Solo and TROS (and even the latter broke even). That's a good track record, so I think it's way too early to be calling doom and gloom, given that every studio makes bad movies from time to time and LucasFilm has proven that they can do it right.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I'm genuinely curious as to whether Abrams originally wanted Kylo Ren to be redeemed. Because it really seems like they were setting him up as a contrast to Vader with Han's death. Appeal to family sensibilities didn't work. But TLJ has him still very conflicted about Leia.

With Vader, the concept is you start with the fully formed villain, and then gradually peel back the layers to reveal the good man buried deep inside. It seemed like Kylo was the reverse arc--he starts out kind of sort of conflicted, but killing Han seals his fate. It's like if Vader had killed Luke at the Emperor's request.

So I feel like, initially at least, TFA was setting up the ST to subvert the traditional expectation of a Skywalker redeemed through family connections. If they had followed through with that, it actually would have succeeded where TLJ failed (which supposedly tried to subvert, but pretty much set things up according to the formula: Kylo being redeemable, and the heroes in an ESB cliffhanger.)

Or maybe--there was no plan?
    Last edited by David Walton; 04-14-2020 at 09:03 AM.

I'm genuinely curious as to whether Abrams originally wanted Kylo Ren to be redeemed. Because it really seems like they were setting him up as a contrast to Vader with Han's death. Appeal to family sensibilities didn't work. But TLJ has him still very conflicted about Leia.

With Vader, the concept is you start with the fully formed villain, and then gradually peel back the layers to reveal the good man buried deep inside. It seemed like Kylo was the reverse arc--he starts out kind of sort of conflicted, but killing Han seals his fate. It's like if Vader had killed Luke at the Emperor's request.

So I feel like, initially at least, TFA was setting up the ST to subvert the traditional expectation of a Skywalker redeemed through family connections. If they had followed through with that, it actually would have succeeded where TLJ failed (which supposedly tried to subvert, but pretty much set things up according to the formula: Kylo being redeemable, and the heroes in an ESB cliffhanger.)

Or maybe--there was no plan?
    Have wondered about that myself, esp. since he wrote TFA Kylo who seemed to be the most evil version of the character in the trilogy.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Have wondered about that myself, esp. since he wrote TFA Kylo who seemed to be the most evil version of the character in the trilogy.
    I feel like if Abrams had control of the characters from start to finish, Kylo would have been the big bad and Rey would have been revealed to be his sister or cousin.

So you'd have Skywalker vs. Skywalker for the family legacy.
    Last edited by David Walton; 04-14-2020 at 02:16 PM.

I feel like if Abrams had control of the characters from start to finish, Kylo would have been the big bad and Rey would have been revealed to be his sister or cousin.

So you'd have Skywalker vs. Skywalker for the family legacy.
    Maybe, not there's anything to prove that Kylo's redemption was something that Abrams' didn't come up with himself.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

One thread going through the first two films at least-and a lot of TFA's marketing-is that Ren is somewhat aware of Vader's sentimental streak I think, and I think that also was going to play a role in Duel of the Fates, which I think had a scene of him rejecting Vader's legacy all together. The Vader mask is noticeably absent from TLJ and of course Kylo smashes his similar mask in TLJ.

Although in TROS he's pretty much back to his Vader fanboyism and pretty much in Vader's exact same position in the OT-serving the Emperor while also sort of plotting on the side to overthrow him-which of course he (sort of) does, but like Vader, ultimately at cost to his life (Although he did surpass Vader by ruling the for well, a year)
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Well, that's the Alliance/Empire conflict who has always interested me more in Star Wars than anything concerning the Force really. X-wing and Tie fighters more than pretty swords and mysticism if you will.

So a so-called lack of "faith" in the sequels is not something i'm going to complain about really.

I did complain loudly and extensivly back then about the addition in canon of this midichlorian monstruosity of an idea though. Cause even if all the force jazz is not my favorite part of Star Wars, it is anyway a charming part of it and to remove a big part of the magic element from it to replace it by, well, genetic really, is somewhat of a bummer.

No, if i am to complain about something concerning the force and the sequels it's the freaking rules. I don't understand anymore how that **** is working for being honest. Now force ghosts are poltergeists, you can use the force to Skype, pass objects and pretty much give the finger to the most basic laws of physics.

Color me confused.