Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Spectacular Member

Default Are you taking social distancing seriously?

I’m locked up all day like we’re supposed to be in this crisis but I take a long walk each day to break the monotony. If someone starts walking towards me on the side walk I go to the other side of the street to keep my social distance from them. If there are people on both sides of the street I walk down the middle of the street. This worked fine until I was bending down to pick up some pine cones which my wife uses for arts and crafts. When I stood back up there was this guy a few inches walking right by me. I was mad but said nothing because he might have been one of those guys that wants a fist fight every time they are criticized. Getting into a fist fight would really violate social distancing.

So some people aren’t taking social distancing seriously but squirrels are taking it seriously. On my walks whenever I get near a squirrel they dash away to keep their social distance, in fear of the virus. And the squirrels must have told the robins because robins are keeping their distance, too. I know what you are thinking, squirrels and robins can’t get Covid 19 so they don’t need to social distance but maybe the squirrels and the robins are worried about species to species transmission. After all, that’s what scientists think caused the Covid pandemic in the first place. Bat to man transmission, so there could be man to robin transmission.
    Bat to man. Man to robin. Batman and Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by fly on the wall View Post
    I’m locked up all day like we’re supposed to be in this crisis but I take a long walk each day to break the monotony. If someone starts walking towards me on the side walk I go to the other side of the street to keep my social distance from them. If there are people on both sides of the street I walk down the middle of the street. This worked fine until I was bending down to pick up some pine cones which my wife uses for arts and crafts. When I stood back up there was this guy a few inches walking right by me. I was mad but said nothing because he might have been one of those guys that wants a fist fight every time they are criticized. Getting into a fist fight would really violate social distancing.
    Yes, I'm taking social distancing seriously.

So some people aren’t taking social distancing seriously but squirrels are taking it seriously. On my walks whenever I get near a squirrel they dash away to keep their social distance, in fear of the virus. And the squirrels must have told the robins because robins are keeping their distance, too. I know what you are thinking, squirrels and robins can’t get Covid 19 so they don’t need to social distance but maybe the squirrels and the robins are worried about species to species transmission.
    Were the robins and the squirrels more sociable pre-Covid where you live?
    Here they never were very human-friendly.

Actually, it was more: bat to pangolin to man, I think.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Astonishing Member

I do, but many of my customers don't. Its exhausting to tell almost anybody to keep their distance. When I talk to them they come nearer, and when I take a step back, they follow me.

Humans are not used to speak to each other at the recommended distance, right now.

I always take social distancing seriously.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I caught myself yesterday when I was talking to my neighbors across the street in their driveway, in fact none of us really corrected it. I thought about as soon as I went in the house! So with people you know you can forget to keep your distance.

Sunday I went to the Indiana Dunes West Beach park and they have a wide paved trail that is also used by maintenance vehicles. It makes for a nice walk from the parking lot to the pavillion on the Lake Michigan Shore. As I was heading north a large group was leaving and heading south. There were about 10 - 12 adults & children and they took up the entire path....and this is a pretty wide path! I figured they would move over but as I got closer, they didn't! I had a walking stick with me that I used to create some distance! I said "social distancing please!" and then they finally moved to the other side of the trail. It's people acting like that last week (only in much larger numbers) that forced the Mayor of Chicago to ban access to their trails along the lake front

Spectacular Member

You had to use a stick to keep people at bay? Why hadn't I thought of that except poking people with sticks may lead to then attacking you, which would totally eliminate social distancing. Now when I walk there is a lot more room to avoid other people (who I have heard are Hell). You can always go to other side of the street. Still I have had a couple of times where people got too close. This guy and his son on bicycles came from behind on the sidewalk and they were very close to me before I even knew they were there. I got pretty angry but I didn't yell or anything. Well at least they were not near me for very long.

My tax accountant requires that we have our tax appointment over the internet but he needs all the tax forms and other information. So my wife just drove out to his house to drop off the tax stuff on his front stoop. I can see his point. Normally he interacts with a lot of people in his little office every day. He'd be a sitting duck for the virus and so would all the customers.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Yeah, and I hate that I have to ride the bus. Like, I got a learner's permit and have had some hours experience under my belt, but I don't have the money (yet) to afford a vehicle, and now's clearly not a good time to invest in a car. Not to mention it annoys the hell out of me when someone gets real close in a checkout lane, but then again, before this crap started, I was kind of like that due to the autism.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Yes, I'm taking social distancing seriously.

Were the robins and the squirrels more sociable pre-Covid where you live?
    Here they never were very human-friendly.

Actually, it was more: bat to pangolin to man, I think.
    Okay, Bat to Pangolin to man. Man to Robin. Pangolinman to Robin.

It doesn't work as well.

So some people aren’t taking social distancing seriously but squirrels are taking it seriously. On my walks whenever I get near a squirrel they dash away to keep their social distance, in fear of the virus. And the squirrels must have told the robins because robins are keeping their distance, too. I know what you are thinking, squirrels and robins can’t get Covid 19 so they don’t need to social distance but maybe the squirrels and the robins are worried about species to species transmission. After all, that’s what scientists think caused the Covid pandemic in the first place. Bat to man transmission, so there could be man to robin transmission.
    Yes, I am. I have done so since March 11th, 2020!!

However, most people are not. There are still gathering, getting together (those that live in other homes), walking together in groups and biking that way as well. People are still out and about on the roads everyday. Some are going to all of the stores everyday in order to stock up on their food and supplies.

Oh, and animals can get the virus. There is a report of a tiger at the Bronx Zoo who contracted the virus from its handler. Six other big cats are also exhibiting symptoms of CoVid-19.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

I've been trying to as much as possible. I did have to venture out today though to drop some medicine off for a friend.

Today was by far the hottest day of the year here in Northern England and, frankly, you wouldn't know that the countrys in lockdown. There were loads of people knocking around. Apparently they just can't help themselves!
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I have been leaving my home every day and licking the face of everyone I see.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Not five minutes after making the above post and I got a notification on my phone from a site called 'Lancashire Post'. Apparently my area in Lancashire is being one of the best behaved in the county in relation to obeying the 'social distancing' rules. According to a 'digital heat map' collected using online apps, only 4% of local residents in my area are upwardly mobile to any great capacity. It certainly didn't seem like that to me this afternoon!
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

When this first started I sort of was but not really. Then my uncle came down with Covid and I really started seeing just how severe this thing can be and since then I have been doing everything I can to stay clear of people. He has been in the hospital for over a week now on a ventilator, and is just now starting to show a slight improvement. This thing is no joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    I have been leaving my home every day and licking the face of everyone I see.
    ^^^funniest thing I’ve read all day!

Me, I’ve been practicing for this since 2013.
    I’ve basically been a hermit since I retired from the Army.

Erf, that was way too long for a joke dude.