Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Default Best Kraven Stories?

I know the overall number 1 answer to this. It is, of course, Kravens Last Hunt...but are there any others?
    I’ve always loved the character, and i thoroughly enjoyed the recent Hunted storyline in Spider-Man. Please let me know if there are others.

BANNED

1) KLH
    2) ASM #34 (you know Kraven's mansion with all those trophies in the opening of KLH, that originated here).
    3) ASM #47 (a cool story that deftly retcons Kraven into an associate of Green Goblin who torments the amnesiac Norman in the present, expanded and recounted in Spider-Man Blue but this is best).
    4) Marvel Team-Up #67 aka "Tigra Tigra Burning Bright" by Chris Claremont.
    5) HUNTED by Spencer/Ramos.

I have heard good stuff about "Soul of the Hunter" DeMatteis' follow-up to KLH but never read it.

I hate Soul of the Hunter hahaha (please forgive my act of heresy Lord DeMatteis)

But I think Revolutionary Jack’s recommendation’s are pretty good ones. I would add Spider-Man Blue, though. Sure, the focus isn’t on Kraven, but I think his role in it is enough to make it one of his greatest stories. Grim Hunt isn’t my type of story, way too edgy for my taste, but maybe it suits yours and it fits well as a previous reading to Hunted. I think Spectacular Spider-Man 251-253 is a nice addition to the Kraven Saga, even if it’s one of Kraven’s sons who takes the mantle in that storyline
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I know the overall number 1 answer to this. It is, of course, Kravens Last Hunt...but are there any others?
    I’ve always loved the character, and i thoroughly enjoyed the recent Hunted storyline in Spider-Man. Please let me know if there are others.
    Well all the main Kraven issues have been collected in the new Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt - Deluxe Edition:
    • Kraven The Hunter! - AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (1963) #15
    • Sweet Temptation! - MARVEL TEAM-UP (1972) #128 - Centers on Vermin, also part of Kraven's Last Hunt
    • Kraven's Last Hunt - AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (1963) #293-294 + WEB OF SPIDER-MAN (1985) #31-32 + PETER PARKER, THE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN (1976) #131-132;
    • Soul of the Hunter - AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: SOUL OF THE HUNTER
    • What if Kraven the Hunter has killed Spider-Man ? - WHAT IF? (1989) #17
    • Kraven's First Hunt - SENSATIONAL SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL '96
    • Grim Hunt - AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (1999) #634-637
    • Peter Porker the Spectacular Spider-Ham - Nevermore - WHAT THE-?! #3 - a parody issue

Kraven the Hunter is of course good, but in all not much happens in this story.
    Then Soul of the Hunter is good.
    And Grim Hunt is not bas as well.

But in all they are not that marvelous.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    1) KLH
    2) ASM #34 (you know Kraven's mansion with all those trophies in the opening of KLH, that originated here).
    3) ASM #47 (a cool story that deftly retcons Kraven into an associate of Green Goblin who torments the amnesiac Norman in the present, expanded and recounted in Spider-Man Blue but this is best).
    4) Marvel Team-Up #67 aka "Tigra Tigra Burning Bright" by Chris Claremont.
    5) HUNTED by Spencer/Ramos.

I have heard good stuff about "Soul of the Hunter" DeMatteis' follow-up to KLH but never read it.
    MTU#67 is a very good one issue look at Kraven. I always felt his character was not developed as fully as it could have been. In too many stories he was portrayed as a lackey or second rate villain. He always reminded me of General Zaroff from the story "The Most Dangerous Game." Wouldn't be surprised if that's where Stan got the idea, although I've never really looked into it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey5640 View Post
    MTU#67 is a very good one issue look at Kraven. I always felt his character was not developed as fully as it could have been. In too many stories he was portrayed as a lackey or second rate villain. He always reminded me of General Zaroff from the story "The Most Dangerous Game." Wouldn't be surprised if that's where Stan got the idea, although I've never really looked into it.
    I think the movie version of The Most Dangerous Game is where he got it from, yeah.

My personal favorite would be Deathgame! (which includes early artwork from George Perez):

I'll have to check that one out.

I just realized a major blind-spot in my Spider-Man reading is the solo Morbius and Man-Wolf stories in the 70s.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

This is the best Kraven story.

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=324

Not sure if it counts, but I really liked Kraven's First Hunt, about his daughter. It was during the dreaded BND era, but one of my few bright spots from that run.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.