Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default A team book for characters that have fan bases, but aren’t solo material.

DC needs a book for characters like Powergirl and Martian Manhunter. Characters that move the needle a little bit, but perhaps couldn’t really sell a solo series. Individually they might not sell but lump them together and you might have a book that sells decent. Who are DC comics most popular C list characters?

That's pretty much what Suicide Squad is (if you ignore Harley being on the team).

Extraordinary Member

I don't know why you'd think Power Girl doesn't can't sell a solo series after just one shot at it, and a not very good one at that. Let a good writer and artist team do a solo for her with DC's backing, and let them have a vision for the character, and give her a good shot at it. After all, her solo lasted 27 issues and was very slightly inching up in sales when Flashpoint demolished it. And that was despite isolating her for the most part from anything of any interest that was happening in DC at the time, and inching her out of the Superman Family for all practical purposes.

Point is, unlike say Cyborg, Supergirl, or Jaime Reyes BB, she hasn't been given multiple chances, and she's not gotten the best effort from the top writers or artists.

Maybe they should go back to having backup stories in the monthlies, like New 52 did. Power Girl would be Supergirl's backup because Karen is Kara's Earth 2 counterpart. Martian Manhunter could be in Detective Comics.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Maybe they should go back to having backup stories in the monthlies, like New 52 did. Power Girl would be Supergirl's backup because Karen is Kara's Earth 2 counterpart. Martian Manhunter could be in Detective Comics.
    I used to dig that feature SO MUCH as a kid.

As for a team?
    Power Girl and J’onn I can see and agree with.
    What i WOULDN'T want to see, is a crap load of Bat and Super family members. That just goes against the concept impo. Power Girl squeaks by for me because despite her connection to Superman, she’s always been portrayed as outside the “inner circle”, both in continuity and as a character.
    A team like this should be for REAL dark horses, who don’t have strong connections to, the option of, regularly appearing in two of comics’ biggest franchises.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I used to dig that feature SO MUCH as a kid.

As for a team?
    What i WOULDN'T want to see, is a crap load of Bat and Super family members. That just goes against the concept impo. Power Girl squeaks by for me because despite her connection to Superman, she’s always been portrayed as outside the “inner circle”, both in continuity and as a character.
    A team like this should be for REAL dark horses, who don’t have strong connections to, the option of, regularly appearing in two of comics’ biggest franchises.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    As for a team?
    So, maybe a team of various heroes who aren't in the Super/Bat lines. They could, for example, form a Society for Justice in America. Hmm. Society. Justice. Something along those lines. It could feature characters like Power Girl, and Dr. Midnight and maybe Sandy Hawkins or maybe Stargirl!

Yeah, we need the JSA back.

But in the meantime, The Terrifics manage to have Mr. Terrific and Plastic Man and Metamorpho and Phantom Girl. None of whom (obviously) are conspicuously in the Super/Bat line. And it is a very good read. So, yes, I am all onboard with having teams like that.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

You would have to have a nice blend of semi-popular heroes to make it sell. Sadly, you would have to have someone from the MAJOR families for it sell.

I would love to see J'onn create his own team of Heroes
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulku View Post
    So, maybe a team of various heroes who aren't in the Super/Bat lines. They could, for example, form a Society for Justice in America. Hmm. Society. Justice. Something along those lines. It could feature characters like Power Girl, and Dr. Midnight and maybe Sandy Hawkins or maybe Stargirl!

Yeah, we need the JSA back.

But in the meantime, The Terrifics manage to have Mr. Terrific and Plastic Man and Metamorpho and Phantom Girl. None of whom (obviously) are conspicuously in the Super/Bat line. And it is a very good read. So, yes, I am all onboard with having teams like that.
    I’m a fan of both the teams you mentioned!

There are a LOT of unaffiliated heroes in and among the cracks of the DC universe.
    Someone just needs to pull them out.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Don't we have that already with the Outsiders?

Katana
    Black Lightning
    Metamorpho
    Halo
    Geo Force

All seem to fit the criteria (except maybe Black Lightning. I would support a monthly.)
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Suicide Squad is crap villains, and Outsiders is street level+.

The OP wants a team book for heavies that can do the full gamut of Star City, Bialya, Thanagar and Apokolips.

Martian Manhunter
    Power Girl
    Blue Beetle (Jaime)
    Black Canary
    Zatanna
    Mister Miracle & Barda
    Vixen
    Cyborg

Huh. That’s a pretty diverse team.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

team idea
    Martian Manhunter: leader
    Green arrow: Lancer
    Powergirl: Big guy (metaphorically)
    the Atom: smart Guy
    Wally West: the heart (When ever they stop trying to destroy the character)
    And Vixen in versatile sixth ranger role.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Don't we have that already with the Outsiders?

Katana
    Black Lightning
    Metamorpho
    Halo
    Geo Force

All seem to fit the criteria (except maybe Black Lightning. I would support a monthly.)
    That was almost exactly my response.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Martian Manhunter
    Power Girl
    Blue Beetle (Jaime)
    Black Canary
    Zatanna
    Mister Miracle & Barda
    Vixen
    Cyborg

Huh. That’s a pretty diverse team.
    Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    team idea
    Martian Manhunter: leader
    Green arrow: Lancer
    Powergirl: Big guy (metaphorically)
    the Atom: smart Guy
    Wally West: the heart (When ever they stop trying to destroy the character)
    And Vixen in versatile sixth ranger role.
    I cool with either of these teams. Just need a good writer and artist combo
    Some of us wait, some of us act.