Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Default Who is Spider-Man afraid of?

Just as the title suggests, I’m interested in knowing and hearing your thoughts on which villains actually scare Peter? He’s obviously been around some time now, and is more used to some foes than others. Which ones do you think he is scared of?

Green Goblin - A constant reminder of one of his greatest failures...which is of course Gwens death. Norman always has one foot in the door to Peters life, and must terrify him every time he returns.

Kraven - After KLH, I imagine Kraven must still scare Peter. Kraven had him buried for 2 weeks, and really got into Peters head. I imagine there’s always that terror.

Morlun - Now I’ve not read Morluns portrayal in any of the Spider-Verses as I’ve not really got around to reading Slotts stuff properly yet. But JMS’ portrayal had Morlun as a constant threat, never stopping or getting tired. A terrifying villain who must scare Peter.

Can you think of any more? Or do you agree/disagree with the choices?

BANNED

I think Peter Parker's honestly afraid of all his villains to some extent or another. He's a normal guy and he knows that anyone of them can hurt him or attack him if they so please.

There's also fear in terms of "people I care about they'll hurt" and actually being afraid of them personally. Green Goblin fits the former category, whereas Morlun fits the second one. I'd add Carnage to that list too.

He seems to be freaked out (with good reason) by Morbius and Vermin.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

The landlords.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    The landlords.
    This above all.

My hat to you, good sir.

Well done.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

I don't think he's personally scared of any of his villains except Carnage. Maybe Morlun? He hates Norman, but I don't think he's actually scared of Norman.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    I don't think he's personally scared of any of his villains except Carnage. Maybe Morlun? He hates Norman, but I don't think he's actually scared of Norman.
    Physically like in a 1-to-1 fight, Peter probably isn't scared of losing or dying to Norman in a battle...no more than he is with other major threats like Doctor Octopus or The Lizard or The Rhino.

Mentally and psychologically, given Norman's unpredictability and great capacity for violence, Peter does fear him tremendously.

I think Peter is afraid of Doctor Doom...like in ASM#350, when Doom went smorgasbord on Peter, he nearly ripped him through shreds and towards the end Peter was desperately trying to bargain with Victor. You see some of that fear in Nick Spencer's 2099 issues as well. But you know, there's no shame in being afraid of Doctor Doom...two-time God Emperor of the Marvel Universe.

He is (likely) most afraid of Green Goblin (Norman Osborn) and Venom (Eddie Brock), IMO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

The symbiotes, especially the Venom one.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    He is (likely) most afraid of Green Goblin (Norman Osborn) and Venom (Eddie Brock), IMO.
    Is this accurate today? Eddie Brock's been de-fanged so much over the years. The last one I read (and I know there have been several since) had the two of them teaming up, with the truce still in place by the end of the story. Are they enemies again?

Astonishing Member

Morlun and the Inheritors, Venom (Eddie) when he was bad, Carnage, Vermin, Harry when he was Green Goblin, Norman (sometimes), Lizard (sometimes), Doctor Doom, Doctor Octopus when he started out as a teenager, Kraven, Black Tarantula...

And Ben Reilly was a bit scared of Kaine during the 90s clone saga (though Peter didn’t share this fear).
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 04-08-2020 at 03:25 PM.

iMan 42s

He hates Norman more than he’s scared of him and frankly with all that he’s done I’m more surprised Peter hasn’t gone after him as of late beyond the time he got the Hulk’s powers a second time. I mean sure go and try to kill Venom (an Avenger) but leave the mass murdering terrorist in an average jail cell.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    He hates Norman more than he’s scared of him...
    That varies writer to writer. But in general Peter does fear Norman Osborn because he always breaks the rules.

Norman's life-goal, especially since his resurrection is to more or less break Peter's spirit. It offends Norman that even after all that Peter has undergone, even after losing Gwen, he's not broken down, he's not given up, he's not stopped being a hero. That's there in Revenge of The Green Goblin, A Death of the Family, Marvel Knights: Spider-Man and it comes back in Go Down Swinging. Like that bit at the end, where they're at times square, and Norman complaints about how despite attacking and hurting his loved ones, Peter doesn't quit. And then he sees Peter saving average bystanders and he decides that he'll just kill as many people as possible around him, since to his shock, Peter really does care about this saving people gig.

So that makes Norman really dangerous. He wants to kill Peter certainly but he also wants to break Peter, to torture him (and he has tortured Peter in Revenge of the Green Goblin in the aim to drive him insane).

In a straight fight, Peter doesn't fear Norman in the sense he absolutely fears Doctor Doom. But he also knows that Norman can't be reasoned with in the way that you can actually reason with Doom (as he did both in ASM#350, and in Spencer's 2099 arc).

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Physically like in a 1-to-1 fight, Peter probably isn't scared of losing or dying to Norman in a battle...no more than he is with other major threats like Doctor Octopus or The Lizard or The Rhino.

Mentally and psychologically, given Norman's unpredictability and great capacity for violence, Peter does fear him tremendously.

I think Peter is afraid of Doctor Doom...like in ASM#350, when Doom went smorgasbord on Peter, he nearly ripped him through shreds and towards the end Peter was desperately trying to bargain with Victor. You see some of that fear in Nick Spencer's 2099 issues as well. But you know, there's no shame in being afraid of Doctor Doom...two-time God Emperor of the Marvel Universe.
    Oh he's definitely scared of Doom. I mean he's probably scared of a lot of the more powerful villains in Marvel, like if say Mangog was after him or something. I was thinking his own enemies.

As for Osborn, I don't think Peter is scared of him personally - he's more scared of what Osborn is going to do, if that makes any sense.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man