53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mask

37 69.81%
  • Glasses

16 30.19%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member CaptainLiberty76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    It didn't even last that long. Clint had that look for about a year, then went back to his old costume.
    Thanks for the correction, ed2962, I guess it just seemed longer back in the day. I really do miss Thomas, the Buscema brothers, Busiek and Perez. THAT was when the Avengers were the Avengers. I mean Englehart, Stern and Byrne would be a welcome change from the ridiculousness going on today. That's me, just an old hippie. Cue the Bellamy Brothers.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainLiberty76 View Post
    Thanks for the correction, ed2962, I guess it just seemed longer back in the day. I really do miss Thomas, the Buscema brothers, Busiek and Perez. THAT was when the Avengers were the Avengers. I mean Englehart, Stern and Byrne would be a welcome change from the ridiculousness going on today. That's me, just an old hippie. Cue the Bellamy Brothers.
    Count me in the same camp. I love the characters chosen (mostly) for the current run, but I just find it unreadable.
    As for Clint...old habits die hard. While I dont mind the shirt and pants...its the classic H mask for me.

O'BrianTallent; I'm the same I like the current Avengers line up of Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Captain Marvel, Black Panther and She Hulk.
    Though with spots 7 and 8 I would like to see Vision, Scarlet Witch, Quick Silver, Wonder Man, Hawkeye and Wasp used.
    Blade is no Avenger, same with Doctor Strange and Ghost Rider, I even have trouble with Black Widow as an Avenger.
    I'm glad that they stopped trying to make the Avengers Marvels version of the Justice League with all of the popular heroes together.
    The writing of the current series is woeful.
    Hawkeye with his mask is way better imo.
    Last edited by PhoenixThanos; 04-10-2020 at 01:28 AM.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Hawkeye with his mask, for sure. I remember really hoping we’d get to see him at least once in the Matt Fraction series.
    I don’t have many issues with how Hawkeye has been portrayed. Things change with characters a lot. After the greatness of Fractions run, Marvel seem to believe they had found Hawkeyes niche.

Incredible Member

Classic all the way. Hate the shirt and glasses look. I want superheroes to look the part. They're not books or movies, they're comics, and having them wear street clothes annoys me. Works for Cage, not for anyone else imo. I tend to love classic looks for most characters, and when I look at current versions of some characters costumes I wince. Vision for example; really loud, gaudy, and hard on the eyes. A few years ago someone even decided to add elbow and knee pads to Black Bolt's costume. Ridiculous. Stick with the classics. Occasionally some new designs that I like stick, like Nova or the Thor costume from Stracsynski run, but for Hawkeye, classic please.

BANNED

Marvel Team-Up #92 Apr 1980
    "Fear!" Guest-starring Spider-Man and Hawkeye.
    It is 11:00 p.m. as Spider-Man is web-swinging above Manhattan's theater district.
    Suddenly there is an explosion, and he descends to find an armored
    car blown open and a man with a bow and arrow running away.
    The man turns out to be Hawkeye, who recently quit the Avengers.
    When Spider-Man approaches, Hawkeye warns him to keep his distance.
    He stammers that he has weapons and won't let Spider-Man "hurt him".
    When Hawkeye nocks an arrow, Spider-Man realizes that something is dreadfully wrong.
    He tries to calm him down, but Hawkeye says it is a trick and lets fly his arrow.
    But because he is trembling too much, the arrow misses, so he flees once more.
    When Spider-Man catches him, Hawkeye prepares to load another arrow,
    so Spider-Man punches him in the jaw and he falls senseless to the ground.

Spider-Man knows that he did not hit him hard enough to knock him out.
    Rather, it seems as if Hawkeye fainted in terror.
    By this time the police arrive, so Spider-Man quickly carries Hawkeye to the roof of a building.
    The archer slowly revives and apologizes for making a fool of himself.
    He explains that after the government forced him out of the Avengers,
    he found work as security chief for Cross Technological Enterprises.
    CTE was shipping some valuable cargo in the armored car and he was helping guard it when the explosion occurred.
    The driver was knocked out, but as the smoke cleared, Hawkeye confronted the thieves. All wore costumes and masks.

But before he could do anything, he became paralyzed with fear.
    With the gang leader's laughter ringing in his ears, and fighting nausea, Hawkeye ran as fast as his legs could carry him.
    When he concludes his narrative, Hawkeye realizes that he must have inhaled a drug in the smoke,
    and Spider-Man comments that his description reminds him of Daredevil's old foe, Mr. Fear.

Hawkeye notices that his bow is missing, and Spider-Man apologizes for leaving it behind when the police came.
    There are plenty of bows at Hawkeye's Central Park West apartment,
    and as he and Spider-Man walk through the door, the telephone rings.
    It is Hawkeye's boss, Connors, calling to chew him out for letting CTE's cargo be stolen.
    Hawkeye promises to get it back, and Connors tells him that he is fired if he doesn't.
    After Hawkeye hangs up, he shakes a small tracer device out of his quiver.
    Just in case something like this happened, he explains, he "bugged" the cargo in the truck.
    His experience with the Avengers taught him to trust his hunches,
    and he had a hunch that someone might try to steal it.
    Now, with a new bow and a fresh supply of arrows, he can't wait to take on Mr. Fear again.
    Then he switches on the tracer, and he and Spider-Man leap from his apartment window, heading east.
    Hawkeye uses his wire-line arrows to swing along much like Spider-Man does with his webbing.

Meanwhile, Alan Fagan, now also known as Mr. Fear, relaxes unmasked in his penthouse apartment overlooking the East River.
    Although he squandered his father's wealth and was thrown out of all his colleges, he muses, he has something better.
    People won't laugh at him anymore, because he can make them all deadly afraid of him,
    he gloats, and he owes it all to his uncle, Larry Cranston, who died and left him his costume and devices.
    Fagan says that he has the imagination to use the Mr. Fear identity in new and original ways.
    The radioactive isotope he stole tonight will allow him to construct
    a nuclear bomb and begin a reign of terror to bring all New York to its knees.
    As he examines the stolen container, he discovers Hawkeye's transmitter and crushes it contemptuously.
    If Hawkeye should show up here, vows Fagan, he and his Men will take care of him.
    At that moment, outside Fagan's apartment building, Hawkeye tells Spider-Man that the transmitter has been destroyed.
    Unfortunately, he could not pinpoint where the isotope is.
    He suggests that Spider-Man start at the top of the building and work down, while he will work his way up.
    As Spider-Man climbs the building, he muses that Hawkeye is not as calm as he pretends to be.
    If Mr. Fear scares him again, he could break. Hawkeye, meanwhile, wishes Spider-Man were off the case,
    because he wants to prove he can stand on his own two feet. He learns from the doorman that the resident of
    the penthouse suite returned from a "costume party" some time ago, and his costume fits Mr. Fear's description.

With any luck, thinks Hawkeye, he will get to him before Spider-Man does. But Spider-Men, starting at the top of the building,
    reaches the penthouse first. As Spider-Man enters through an open window, Fagan quickly puts on his mask
    and orders his three henchmen to stop him, but Spider-Man disarms them, and webs them up. Mr. Fear taunts him,
    so he lets him take a free swing, and Fear nearly breaks his hand. But then Fear commands Spider-Man to cringe.
    In seconds, Spider-Man becomes a gibbering wreck, cowering in the corner. As Fear's henchmen recover,
    he explains that he injected Spider-Man with fear potion using the ring on his finger when he punched him.
    Usually all he needs is gas, he continues, but a man of Spider-Man's power required a full-strength dose.
    Now they shall conduct an experiment, he says. How many injections can Spider-Man take before he dies?

Suddenly a flare explodes outside the window and Hawkeye swings into the apartment.
    Before Fear can act, Hawkeye shatters the ring with an arrow and takes out one of the henchmen.
    The other two jump him, but he easily knocks them out. When the first henchman tries to flee,
    Hawkeye wraps a Wire-line arrow around his legs and sends him sprawling to the floor.
    Fear himself, however, manages to slip away.
    Then, as Hawkeye helps Spider-Man to his feet, gas begins to enter the room through an air vent.
    Hawkeye plugs it with a putty arrow, but gas continues to pour into the room through other vents.

Then steel shutters cover the doors and windows, making the room airtight.
    A noxious fog permeates the room, clinging to Spider-Men and Hawkeye.
    When the room is unsealed, and after the gas dissipates,
    Mr. Fear enters to find Spider-Man and Hawkeye writhing in terror.
    Fear's henchmen are in the room as well, but Fear does not care.
    Such men are easily replaced.
    But as Fear confidently approaches the two crimefighters,
    Hawkeye suddenly shoots an arrow at him. He held his breath, says Hawkeye.
    Surely Fear did not think Hawkeye would be so stupid as to fall for the same trick twice in one night?
    But Fear replies that his gas is absorbed through the pores of the skin as well as through the lungs,
    a slower process but ultimately just as effective. Suddenly waves of terror pass over Hawkeye.
    He tries to fight the emotion, but this leaves him vulnerable to Fear's fists.
    Spider-Man is also affected and is unable to help.

Slowly, Fear forces Hawkeye back to the balcony and then knocks him over the edge.
    Seeing Hawkeye plunging to his death galvanizes Spider-Man.
    With a powerful effort of will, he throws off his paralyzing terror and attacks the criminal.
    Hawkeye, meanwhile, is infuriated at having been "suckered." He lost his bow in the battle,
    but as he falls he removes a flare arrow from his quiver. The rocket in it should be strong enough to lift his weight,
    he thinks. Holding on to the arrow, he sets it off, and it arrests his fall and slowly pulls him back to Fear's apartment.

Callouses from years of bow-shooting keep his hands from being too badly burned. Hawkeye slams into Fear with both feet,
    quickly ending the battle against Spider-Man. The police soon arrive to remove Fear and his henchmen.
    Unfortunately, they also need the isotope container as evidence. Hawkeye says he will gladly let Connors bail it out.
    After the police leave, Spider-Man re-enters the apartment from outside.
    Hawkeye asks him why he did not want his due share of the credit, and Spider-Man
    replies that he recently got out of trouble with the police and would like to keep it that way.
    When he thought Fear had killed Hawkeye, he continues, he was able to shake off
    the feeling of terror, and Hawkeye says that the same thing happened as he was falling.
    He simply did not have the time to be afraid.
    They agree that Fear's big mistake was not realizing that there are better and stronger emotions than fear.

Script by Steven Grant. Pencils by Carmine Infantino. Inks by Pablo Marcos.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Deep V mini or nothing.

Oh, HELL No! Even at 6 years old I knew that had been a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainLiberty76 View Post
    Ditto. I prefer the original uniform to the shirt and pants nonsense. Although I miss the real Clint Barton too. He hasn't been around for years, since well before the Bendis-debacle that was Avengers Disassembled.

I long for the days of consistent characterizations, engaging stories and the heroes being heroes. I don't think today's writers often have a clue. The last time Clint was Clint was when Busiek and Perez were doing the Avengers.

Give me Hawkeye, the REAL Hawkeye.
    I whole-heartedly endorse this post. I miss Hawkeye, he used to be one of the all-time greats. Now I find he's a mockery of a character.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Marvel Team-Up #92 Apr 1980
    "Fear!" Guest-starring Spider-Man and Hawkeye.
    It is 11:00 p.m. as Spider-Man is web-swinging above Manhattan's theater district.
    Suddenly there is an explosion, and he descends to find an armored
    car blown open and a man with a bow and arrow running away.
    The man turns out to be Hawkeye, who recently quit the Avengers.
    When Spider-Man approaches, Hawkeye warns him to keep his distance.
    He stammers that he has weapons and won't let Spider-Man "hurt him".
    When Hawkeye nocks an arrow, Spider-Man realizes that something is dreadfully wrong.
    He tries to calm him down, but Hawkeye says it is a trick and lets fly his arrow.
    But because he is trembling too much, the arrow misses, so he flees once more.
    When Spider-Man catches him, Hawkeye prepares to load another arrow,
    so Spider-Man punches him in the jaw and he falls senseless to the ground.

Spider-Man knows that he did not hit him hard enough to knock him out.
    Rather, it seems as if Hawkeye fainted in terror.
    By this time the police arrive, so Spider-Man quickly carries Hawkeye to the roof of a building.
    The archer slowly revives and apologizes for making a fool of himself.
    He explains that after the government forced him out of the Avengers,
    he found work as security chief for Cross Technological Enterprises.
    CTE was shipping some valuable cargo in the armored car and he was helping guard it when the explosion occurred.
    The driver was knocked out, but as the smoke cleared, Hawkeye confronted the thieves. All wore costumes and masks.

But before he could do anything, he became paralyzed with fear.
    With the gang leader's laughter ringing in his ears, and fighting nausea, Hawkeye ran as fast as his legs could carry him.
    When he concludes his narrative, Hawkeye realizes that he must have inhaled a drug in the smoke,
    and Spider-Man comments that his description reminds him of Daredevil's old foe, Mr. Fear.

Hawkeye notices that his bow is missing, and Spider-Man apologizes for leaving it behind when the police came.
    There are plenty of bows at Hawkeye's Central Park West apartment,
    and as he and Spider-Man walk through the door, the telephone rings.
    It is Hawkeye's boss, Connors, calling to chew him out for letting CTE's cargo be stolen.
    Hawkeye promises to get it back, and Connors tells him that he is fired if he doesn't.
    After Hawkeye hangs up, he shakes a small tracer device out of his quiver.
    Just in case something like this happened, he explains, he "bugged" the cargo in the truck.
    His experience with the Avengers taught him to trust his hunches,
    and he had a hunch that someone might try to steal it.
    Now, with a new bow and a fresh supply of arrows, he can't wait to take on Mr. Fear again.
    Then he switches on the tracer, and he and Spider-Man leap from his apartment window, heading east.
    Hawkeye uses his wire-line arrows to swing along much like Spider-Man does with his webbing.

Meanwhile, Alan Fagan, now also known as Mr. Fear, relaxes unmasked in his penthouse apartment overlooking the East River.
    Although he squandered his father's wealth and was thrown out of all his colleges, he muses, he has something better.
    People won't laugh at him anymore, because he can make them all deadly afraid of him,
    he gloats, and he owes it all to his uncle, Larry Cranston, who died and left him his costume and devices.
    Fagan says that he has the imagination to use the Mr. Fear identity in new and original ways.
    The radioactive isotope he stole tonight will allow him to construct
    a nuclear bomb and begin a reign of terror to bring all New York to its knees.
    As he examines the stolen container, he discovers Hawkeye's transmitter and crushes it contemptuously.
    If Hawkeye should show up here, vows Fagan, he and his Men will take care of him.
    At that moment, outside Fagan's apartment building, Hawkeye tells Spider-Man that the transmitter has been destroyed.
    Unfortunately, he could not pinpoint where the isotope is.
    He suggests that Spider-Man start at the top of the building and work down, while he will work his way up.
    As Spider-Man climbs the building, he muses that Hawkeye is not as calm as he pretends to be.
    If Mr. Fear scares him again, he could break. Hawkeye, meanwhile, wishes Spider-Man were off the case,
    because he wants to prove he can stand on his own two feet. He learns from the doorman that the resident of
    the penthouse suite returned from a "costume party" some time ago, and his costume fits Mr. Fear's description.

With any luck, thinks Hawkeye, he will get to him before Spider-Man does. But Spider-Men, starting at the top of the building,
    reaches the penthouse first. As Spider-Man enters through an open window, Fagan quickly puts on his mask
    and orders his three henchmen to stop him, but Spider-Man disarms them, and webs them up. Mr. Fear taunts him,
    so he lets him take a free swing, and Fear nearly breaks his hand. But then Fear commands Spider-Man to cringe.
    In seconds, Spider-Man becomes a gibbering wreck, cowering in the corner. As Fear's henchmen recover,
    he explains that he injected Spider-Man with fear potion using the ring on his finger when he punched him.
    Usually all he needs is gas, he continues, but a man of Spider-Man's power required a full-strength dose.
    Now they shall conduct an experiment, he says. How many injections can Spider-Man take before he dies?

Suddenly a flare explodes outside the window and Hawkeye swings into the apartment.
    Before Fear can act, Hawkeye shatters the ring with an arrow and takes out one of the henchmen.
    The other two jump him, but he easily knocks them out. When the first henchman tries to flee,
    Hawkeye wraps a Wire-line arrow around his legs and sends him sprawling to the floor.
    Fear himself, however, manages to slip away.
    Then, as Hawkeye helps Spider-Man to his feet, gas begins to enter the room through an air vent.
    Hawkeye plugs it with a putty arrow, but gas continues to pour into the room through other vents.

Then steel shutters cover the doors and windows, making the room airtight.
    A noxious fog permeates the room, clinging to Spider-Men and Hawkeye.
    When the room is unsealed, and after the gas dissipates,
    Mr. Fear enters to find Spider-Man and Hawkeye writhing in terror.
    Fear's henchmen are in the room as well, but Fear does not care.
    Such men are easily replaced.
    But as Fear confidently approaches the two crimefighters,
    Hawkeye suddenly shoots an arrow at him. He held his breath, says Hawkeye.
    Surely Fear did not think Hawkeye would be so stupid as to fall for the same trick twice in one night?
    But Fear replies that his gas is absorbed through the pores of the skin as well as through the lungs,
    a slower process but ultimately just as effective. Suddenly waves of terror pass over Hawkeye.
    He tries to fight the emotion, but this leaves him vulnerable to Fear's fists.
    Spider-Man is also affected and is unable to help.

Slowly, Fear forces Hawkeye back to the balcony and then knocks him over the edge.
    Seeing Hawkeye plunging to his death galvanizes Spider-Man.
    With a powerful effort of will, he throws off his paralyzing terror and attacks the criminal.
    Hawkeye, meanwhile, is infuriated at having been "suckered." He lost his bow in the battle,
    but as he falls he removes a flare arrow from his quiver. The rocket in it should be strong enough to lift his weight,
    he thinks. Holding on to the arrow, he sets it off, and it arrests his fall and slowly pulls him back to Fear's apartment.

Callouses from years of bow-shooting keep his hands from being too badly burned. Hawkeye slams into Fear with both feet,
    quickly ending the battle against Spider-Man. The police soon arrive to remove Fear and his henchmen.
    Unfortunately, they also need the isotope container as evidence. Hawkeye says he will gladly let Connors bail it out.
    After the police leave, Spider-Man re-enters the apartment from outside.
    Hawkeye asks him why he did not want his due share of the credit, and Spider-Man
    replies that he recently got out of trouble with the police and would like to keep it that way.
    When he thought Fear had killed Hawkeye, he continues, he was able to shake off
    the feeling of terror, and Hawkeye says that the same thing happened as he was falling.
    He simply did not have the time to be afraid.
    They agree that Fear's big mistake was not realizing that there are better and stronger emotions than fear.

Script by Steven Grant. Pencils by Carmine Infantino. Inks by Pablo Marcos.
    Awesome! A childhood favorite of mine. Thanks, 616MarvelYear is LeapYear.

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    I whole-heartedly endorse this post. I miss Hawkeye, he used to be one of the all-time greats. Now I find he's a mockery of a character.
    Truly a sad turn of events, I must say. Hopefully, this can be rectified sooner rather than later.

BANNED

Go West! 1984's West Coast Avengers #1 review

I usually go for the bare arms look but something about Mark Bag let’s take on Thunderbolt Clint was a winner. I’m staunchly pro-loin cloth as well.

And it’s further testament to the awesomeness of Otto Schmidt that he can even make the Hawkeye helmet look more than decent.

BANNED

Excellent look for the comicbook character Hawkeye by the artist Mark Bagley and i LOVE the white lenses in the second image.

BANNED

Avengers #16 May 1965
    "The Old Order Changeth!"
    The battle from the previous issue continues but the Avengers are
    hindered as there are too many civilians close by for them to let loose.
    Thor creates a dimensional space warp which transports the Melter, the Black Knight and themselves to another dimension.
    The Executioner and the Enchantress manage to escape since, as Asgardians themselves, they knew what Thor was attempting.
    The Melter and Black Knight are easily captured in the other dimension.

Meanwhile Captain America and Rick Jones bury Zemo and escape his troops.
    They make their way through the rainforest to reach an airport.

When the Avengers hold their next meeting, Thor is MIA he's gone to Asgard.
    Wasp remarks that she needs a break from the constant danger of Avengers' missions.
    Giant-Man and Iron-Man consider disbanding the team.
    Just then, an intruder breaks into the mansion and ties up their butler.

The intruder is Iron-Man's foe Hawkeye, who applies for membership.
    He relates how he and the Black Widow were duped into working for Soviet spies
    but now he wishes to repent by fighting alongside the Avengers.

He demonstrates his archery prowess by freeing the butler from his bonds with a trick shot.

Iron Man, Giant-Man, the Wasp and Hawkeye hold a press conference in which they announce they are looking for new members.

In Switzerland, the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver learn the the Avengers are recruiting new members.
    They write a letter to apply. After traveling by cruise ship to the U.S., Tony Stark picks up the mutant siblings.
    Quicksilver demonstrates his speed by beating Stark's car to the mansion on foot.
    He even stops to allow the car to catch up to him.

Captain America and Rick return just as Wanda and Pietro are being inducted.
    He is devastated to hear that Iron Man, Giant-Man and the Wasp have all decided to take a leave of absence.
    Cap will be the full-time leader of the new team.
    Iron-Man's last piece of advice to Cap is that the new team ought to track down the Hulk
    and convince him to rejoin the team as they could use his sheer strength.

Iron-Man and separately Giant-Man and the Wasp all depart.
    The new Avengers team of Captain America, Hawkeye, Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch reveal themselves to
    the public while the world including many villains wonder if the Avengers will become a weaker or stronger force.

Script by Stan Lee, layouts by Jack Kirby, finished art by Dick Ayers.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Excellent look for the comicbook character Hawkeye by the artist Mark Bagley and i LOVE the white lenses in the second image.
    In agreement about Bagley's Hawkeye. Definitely an all-time favorite:

Last edited by K7P5V; 08-07-2021 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.