Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 40.79%
  • No

45 59.21%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I find it puzzling that a Scott fan could prefer Hopeless' version as he was written in the height of the Scott is Hitler phase and Hopeless ran with that narrative more than anyone and his Scott hated his older self and what he might become. Bunn didnt exagerate that mess
    No, but Bunn did remove even the slightest shred of competence from him, and anger at multiple crappy portrayals tends to build up if nothing alleviates it. Which Bunn failed to do.

The only good portrayals of Scott that happened during Bunn's time were when someone else got to write him.

The writer for an O5 story needs to be interested in all of them, whereas Bunn only cared for 1 of the 5, and boy did it show.
    Last edited by Gray Lensman; 04-09-2020 at 12:08 PM.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    No, but Bunn did remove even the slightest shred of competence from him, and anger at multiple crappy portrayals tends to build up if nothing alleviates it. Which Bunn failed to do.
    Scott aside, did you actually prefer the story arcs in Hopeless' run over the ones in Blue?

I find it puzzling that a Scott fan could prefer Hopeless' version as he was written in the height of the Scott is Hitler phase and Hopeless ran with that narrative more than anyone and his Scott hated his older self and what he might become. Bunn didnt exagerate that mess

Because 2 of the characters arent inspired by the O5. There's probably a reason why Vita went with the Nightcrawler and Gambit angle instead of Iceman and Beast
    I'm still in shock that Marvel thought it was okay to compare someone struggling to keep his race alive from toxic gas to Hitler.

I'm sure they do have an angle, but I think the book would have more mass appeal if it was marketed as a reunion of the 05 with the added dimension of them taking on sidekicks. I only bring it up since it seems like a missed opportunity with the cast already having 3/5.

Scott aside, did you actually prefer the story arcs in Hopeless' run over the ones in Blue?
    Scott is the primary reason I read anything Marvel does. The treatment he got robbed me of any objectivity. I like other characters, but 3 of the rest of my top 5 are DC, and the 5th is an indy who isn't being published anymore (that being Nexus).

I will say that the 'Hitlerclops' narrative was so ham handed, and across so many titles that I assigned blame to editorial mandate rather than any individual writer. It read like something too many of them were forced to do, with it being forced into many conversations where it often wasn't even relevant.
    Last edited by Gray Lensman; 04-09-2020 at 12:20 PM.
    Dark does not mean deep.

I did read a "newer" series about the original team.
    Until it was canceled.
    61Wq3gZXQnL.jpg

Is x-men first class the comic canon

Quote Originally Posted by gambitxremy View Post
    Is x-men first class the comic canon
    No it is not

FOX - Future Original X-Men

We’ve already had the O5 come to the future. Now it’s time for the X-Men of the future to come to the past!

The twist is that each of the 5 members is from a different timeline that diverged from when the 05 were still together. So this Scott, Jean, Hank, Bobby, and Warren have lived very different later lives from each other as well, never mind what they see when they get to Krakoa, which none experienced in their own divergent timelines.

Each character is saved by Blink just before his/her timeline is totally demolished. think of the continuity hiking that could occur!

Yeah. I do t really like it either.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

My interest is dependent on the writer. While I would like to read one with these characters, they tend to be handled poorly at times.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Only if Jeff Parker writes the series.
    Yeah, his treatment of the characters was pretty great.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post

The only good portrayals of Scott that happened during Bunn's time were when someone else got to write him.

The writer for an O5 story needs to be interested in all of them, whereas Bunn only cared for 1 of the 5, and boy did it show.
    Yep, Bunn's Scott felt very incompetent. Heck, his optic blasts seemed especially weak during that series as well.

Hopeless's Scott may have been around during heavy anti-Cyclops rhetoric, but he still seemed competent and capable of leading. Something Bunn's run undermined. Then again there was the Toad incident. So I can't say I'm overly fond of either portrayal.
    Last edited by TheDeadSpace; 04-09-2020 at 02:41 PM.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

They should focus on mimic

No it is not
    I dunno, there was this flashback Scott had of The O5 in those costumes, and I think something about Machine man from them has been referenced before

Spectacular Member

I’d read one only if they added Sage, Polaris, Havoc and Mimic in supporting roles.

Quote Originally Posted by Del torro View Post
    I dunno, there was this flashback Scott had of The O5 in those costumes, and I think something about Machine man from them has been referenced before
    It isn't canon, the artist probably messed up

No it is not
    Do we have confirmation of this or is this just something we assume? Personally I like to think it is and it fits somewhere in between something lol (I obviously haven't thought it through enough)

X-men First Class was a fun light read but Jean and Iceman had some good moments (feats wise).

Astonishing Member

Its canon. Xmen first class finals ends with the team heading to krakoa right before giant size xmen.